Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

One time, my cat...

danaekitty
May 8th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I was inspired by two threads today - Poor Phoozle's Alley climbing up people to get food out of their hand, and Ancientgirl's Vlad opening the cookie jar. Annoying (or painful) at first, but I guarantee they'll be laughing about it soon!

I thought I'd start this thread about hilarious things our cats have done, either one-off episodes or things that have grown into amusing habits. I posted one in Ancientgirl's thread, but I'll post it again, along with the one that Phoozle made me think of. I'm sure all the cat owners have hundreds of stories about this sort of thing, sticky situations, fur-flying, human-like qualities...LET'S HEAR IT!!!

danaekitty
May 8th, 2008, 10:29 AM
When we first got Olive we had an open sugar bowl for tea and stuff...Olive started digging in it as though she were trying to get to China! We'd come home and there would be a huge pile of sugar next to the empty bowl - had no idea how it was happening until we caught her at it one day, and it was too hilarious for me to chastise her. I just started using a sugar bowl with a lid.

Phoozle - One time Zelda, when she was about 6 months old, took a whole steak off my plate while I was distracted by my corn. Dragged it across the carpet and into the kitchen, where she proceeded to try to rip it apart with her tiny cat teeth, and growled and hissed when I tried to take it away from her.

I finally wrestled it from her jaws.........and ate it anyway.

Jim Hall
May 8th, 2008, 10:37 AM
one pound of cleaned shelled shrimp for the bbq on the counter no one in the kitchen 2 very satified cats later im going back to the fish store

ancientgirl
May 8th, 2008, 10:51 AM
When I was still eating chicken, I was having some chicken strips for dinner. I was on my couch and enjoying the rice I'd made along with it, when Oksana sautered up to me and snatched my chicken strip! I had to chase her up the stairs for it:frustrated:

One morning I woke up and came downstairs to feed them, when I found a very dead wrapper which previously contained freeze dried meat strips. I know it was Vlad who did the deed since he had his head still attached to the wrapper. I have the evidence. http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50756 :laughing:

phoozles
May 8th, 2008, 10:57 AM
:laughing: you ate it anyway! :D

My sister's half siamese Moose :rip: could scale walls - we'd be inside hearing a weird scratching noise, and see Moose appear at the second story window waiting to be let in! :eek:

And as for more Alley ridiculousness - I brought home birthday cards about a month ago - one of them was made by my neice and nephew and it had a bunch of pom poms on it.. Alley, snatcher extraordinaire, yanked one of the pom poms right off of it, and now it's her favorite toy. :rolleyes: She was playing with it this morning and got a case of the zoomies.. She barrelled head first into my shin this morning while I was doing my cardio. It didn't faze her one bit, and I think I have a bruise..

phoozles
May 8th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Oh, and Jake isn't innocent either..

This morning I heard a weird rustling noise. Obviously, I assumed :evil: Alley was up to no good, but then I saw her run by me, and the noise was still going on.

I went into the kitchen, saw nothing wrong, and then for some reason decided to open the cupboard up above the fridge. There was Jake - in the cupboard, where I was keeping their 'vacation' dry Orijen out of their reach. :rolleyes:

I'm glad those bags are made of tough material, but he still managed to get some bite and claw marks in.

Jim Hall
May 8th, 2008, 11:16 AM
i wake up one morning and my cat has seemd to develop a very crusty skin all over her Face!!! i stagger out to the kitchen and there is theopen peanut butter on the floor covered in hair ahh haa thts pb all over her face !!! :yell:

Love4himies
May 8th, 2008, 11:52 AM
one pound of cleaned shelled shrimp for the bbq on the counter no one in the kitchen 2 very satified cats later im going back to the fish store

Oh i am laughing so hard, I can't type:laughing::laughing:

dogcatharmony
May 8th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I have to say the two I have right now have been pretty good over the years. Other than maybe eating a whole bag of catnip not too much mischief. Well once I came home to a trashed apartment, drapes hanging, chairs overturned, coffee table cleaned off......I turned on the light and just stood there with my mouth open, not a cat to be seen. So I turned on my livingroom halogen light (you know the tall bowl shaped one that were recalled many years ago due to fire hazards?) and this huge moth comes down the hallway with both cats chasing. The moth does a swan dive into the lamp, poof starts to smoke (hot halogen light bulb)....I knock the lamp over.....and Amos picks up the smoking moth.....takes a swat to the head from Phoebe...spits out the moth and she eats it.

But my ol' Siamese Kyrus......OMG.......total hellion he was right up until he passed away at 9 years old from a brain tumor.

He once ate a 1/2lb cheddar cheese that was wrapped in tin foil......yes he ate the cheese AND the tinfoil. Vet said let's see if it comes out......it did, but not to painlessly.

Then he ate a strofoam plate and saran wrap from the garbage...... amazingly that came out also. Surprised even the vet.

Got his head stuck in a tomato can, he would fight you for your supper, fight you for your bed, find the toilet paper no matter where you hid it and shred it to peices, get into the cupboards and cause havoc......I sure do miss that cat:cat:

dogcatharmony
May 8th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Oh i forgot, Amos only drinks with his feet. He will not put his head in the water bowl. He needs to dip a toe, then lick, dip a toe, then lick.....long time to get a drink.

danaekitty
May 8th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Both my cats drink from the toilet.

One time I had to buy generic cat kibbles because the store was out of their favourite kind. The generic brand had tri-colour bits, and their fave only has brown, and SOMEHOW they managed to ONLY eat the brown ones out of the bowl of generic. They of course spread the spit-covered yellow and orange ones all over the floor.

chico2
May 8th, 2008, 03:56 PM
The funniest of my bunch was Vinnie right after we got him,he was found in a factory-area dirty and skinny.
Anyway,once he was here with all the food he could eat,there was no stopping him:laughing:
I was making salad one day,left for something,only to find the English Cucumber was gone..
I here this plonk,plonk in the stairs and there is tiny Vinnie dragging a large cucumber in to the basement,I also found a couple of halfeaten hot-dogs behind the washmachine:laughing:
Now,nobody does anything funny like that..:sad:

dogcatharmony
May 8th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Are yours in their "retirement" years also Chico?

My two (both 11) now look at me to kill a spider or fly....i get that look....ummm it's bothering me, mind taking care of it for me??. Mind you they still find an empty cardboard box highly entertaining....semi-retirement I guess would be more fitting.

dmc123
May 8th, 2008, 04:57 PM
What a great thread - what funny stories! LOL

The one that comes to mind for me right now is Andy plays "kitchen hockey" with his kibble. So far he only does it in the morning when everyone is just getting up and about. He takes a piece of kibble out of the bowl with his paw and slings it across the floor. Then he takes off after it, slipping and sliding - and then eats it. He does this several times in a row - I would love to catch that on video, but he stops whatever he is doing if I get the camera out.

Diane

ancientgirl
May 8th, 2008, 05:13 PM
But my ol' Siamese Kyrus......OMG.......total hellion he was right up until he passed away at 9 years old from a brain tumor.

He once ate a 1/2lb cheddar cheese that was wrapped in tin foil......yes he ate the cheese AND the tinfoil. Vet said let's see if it comes out......it did, but not to painlessly.

Then he ate a strofoam plate and saran wrap from the garbage...... amazingly that came out also. Surprised even the vet.

Got his head stuck in a tomato can, he would fight you for your supper, fight you for your bed, find the toilet paper no matter where you hid it and shred it to peices, get into the cupboards and cause havoc......I sure do miss that cat:cat:

:laughing:OMG he sounds like he was quite a character.

Bluedrake
May 8th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Oooh, the things my kitties do! Well, one of them really. Erin is my little adventurer, and she has become my self-appointed alarm clock.

Except she doesn't meow, or lick my nose or chin, or tickle my ears with her whiskers. Oh no. She sneaks under the covers where my feet are, wraps herself around one of my ankles and proceeds to lick my toes. Sometimes she takes a nibble too.

It doesn't hurt, but boy does it tickle! And since I laugh, she assumes I like it, so does it every morning now! :wall:

Another one of her tricks is to crawl up my pyjama pants (I favor very loose ones), up into my t-shirt and out the neck, stepping on my face on the way. It tickles like :censored:

She hasn't done that in a while. I think it might because I bit her last time she did it. :evil:

Jim Hall
May 8th, 2008, 08:01 PM
i once shared a house with a no kidding 19 lb siamise mix named blockhead

his fav toy was a billirad pool he wouls swat acrooss the big kitchen we had and smack against the wall chasing it was fun to watch though not to hear at 3 in the am when we forgot to put it away

krdahmer
May 8th, 2008, 09:40 PM
:laughing:
These stories are GREAT!

I thought of this after reading about Alley too but didn't tell it there. We had a bunch of people over to play cards and had ordered pizzas. They were all sitting on the kitchen table and we were in the living room eating. One of our guests was about to blurt out a 'hey look at the cat' sort of warning when out of the corner of my eye I see Palomine dragging an entire pizza off the table and onto the floor (the meat lovers of course!)!!!:eek::laughing: We howled! He looked so proud of himself and didn't waste a minute diggin in to the toppings!!! I just wish I had of had a video camera that caught that.... it was AFV material for sure!

And ya, I had to train hubby to put the lid down so that the girls would stop drinking from our fancy porclain fountain! :yuck:

growler~GateKeeper
May 9th, 2008, 01:07 AM
:laughing: too funny, thanks for the laughs everyone......can't think of a really funny one now but I should be able to come up w/something :D

Love4himies
May 9th, 2008, 06:19 AM
My Snowball :rip:, was quite a hunter. Before we moved to Edmonton, we had a stone wall behind our house that housed many bunnies and their babies. Well Snowball would hunt the bunnies, they were his favourite prey.

Moved to Edmonton and moved into a house with a large park behind us. Snowball was outside and spotted a "bunny" way off in the park happily munching away on the grass. He proceeded to stalk the "bunny" very confidently, until the "bunny" looked up, saw Snowball, stood up. To Snowball's surprise, the "bunny" was twice the size of Snowball (Snowball was only 7lbs), it was a hare. Snowball stopped dead in his tracks, turned around and ran home to safety:laughing::laughing:. That was the end of his bunny hunting days, he turned to mice after that.

danaekitty
May 9th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Both my cats play fetch like dogs. They'll play pretty much until you get sick of playing. After spending tons of $$$ on cat toys, fuzzy mice, krinkle balls, springs, catnip pillows, we discovered what they actually like to play with.

Zelda will fetch nothing except the ripties/tie wraps that Mike uses for work. She'll fetch them for hours, and she's learned to manipulate them by using one paw to pin one end of it to the ground, while using the other paw to swat at the end that sticks up, causing a THWAPTHWAPTHWAP sound on the hardwood floors. And yes, she does this at all hours of the day.

Olive absolute favourite toy - garbage. She'll dig through the wastebasket until she finds a receipt, some broken hunk of hard plastic, and especially those cellophane straw holders that juiceboxes come with, and she'll trot it over, drop it on our laps, look at us and say Meow? Meow? repeatedly until we start throwing it. Toys she loses under the dresser immediately but a balled up tootsie pop wrapper she'll keep for months until it's soaked with spit and no-one wants to throw it for her anymore.