Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vlad is driving me crazy!

ancientgirl
May 8th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Vlad has figured out he can knock off the top of the cookie jar and he's taking full advantage of it. I used to keep treats in there, but I noticed they would see where the treats were coming from, so I took them out of the jar and put them in the cupboards. But for the last several days, Vlad has been taking the top of the cookie jar regardless. The other morning I woke up and found the actual jar pushed to about an inch from the edge of the counter. Yesterday I got home from work and found the same thing.

I refuse to let him win this one. I allow them on the counter, because I know they jump on it when I'm not home. So it's hard to keep them off when I'm there. It's bad enough I've had to cut back on any decorating because of them jumping on tables and such, but I'm not going to back down on this one!

I don't want to put the jar away, but I'm also afraid they will knock it off the counter and hurt themselves!

I just ordered that Sscat spray. I'm hoping that will help me deter him. Of course, he's ruined it for Oksana and Kiska.

My biggest issue is getting them to stop getting on one part of the counter. There is a section, between the sink and refrigerator which I don't care if they jump on. That's how Oksana gets up on the fridge then up to the top of the cabinets, which is one of her favorite spots. She can easily access that part of the counter away from the part I want them off of. Which is also next to the stove.

I really hope this thing works. If this spray/noise thing doesn't work, I may have to get that mat. I don't want to do that, but I have to make this one stand. I love them, they do close to whatever their little butts want, but I just can't allow them this.

Love4himies
May 8th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Awww, Vlad, mommy is mean, she should be taking great pride in your intelligence and be celebrating that with allowing you to expand on it.

Whoops, sorry, ancientgirl, guess I should be on the human side with this one.

Jim Hall
May 8th, 2008, 09:29 AM
lol well theres always suoer glue if you want to kleave the cookie jar out

Amazing how those little cat brains are so persistant and clever

ancientgirl
May 8th, 2008, 09:42 AM
LOL, I do have to admit, he's quite the clever one for figuring out how to do it, especially since sometimes I can't even hear him doing it!

It's just too dangerous and I've let it go on for to long. When I'm cooking they sit on the counter and look at the food. Up to now they haven't made attempts to mess with the food on the stove, but I'm always afraid of the one day they get curious. It's my own fault for allowing it to go on this long, but I've got to put a stop to it. I can't leave the kitchen even when I'm boiling water for fear they will try to stick their paw in the pot. They can have the other side of the counter and jump up there to their hearts content, but I've got to keep them off that section.

Jim, if I owned the condo I live in, believe me I'd super glue that sucker so fast it would make your head spin.

danaekitty
May 8th, 2008, 10:00 AM
When we first got Olive we had an open sugar bowl for tea and stuff...Olive started digging in it as though she were trying to get to China! We'd come home and there would be a huge pile of sugar next to the empty bowl - had no idea how it was happening until we caught her at it one day, and it was too hilarious for me to chastise her. I just started using a sugar bowl with a lid.

You know, I would hope that if they're smart enough to open the cookie jar, they'd be smart enough not to stick their feet in boiling water.

ancientgirl
May 8th, 2008, 10:10 AM
You know, I would hope that if they're smart enough to open the cookie jar, they'd be smart enough not to stick their feet in boiling water.

About two weeks ago I would have agreed with you. But this weekend as I was readying their water for their monthly bath, I walked to the living room to get their towel, and Kiska was playing with the water. She kept putting her paw in it, trying to grab it. I thought it was still cool, so I put my finger in it and it was scalding!!! So, no at least I can say Kiska is not smart enough to not put her paw in boiling water.

phoozles
May 8th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I just ordered that Sscat spray. I'm hoping that will help me deter him. Of course, he's ruined it for Oksana and Kiska.

I really hope this thing works. If this spray/noise thing doesn't work, I may have to get that mat. I don't want to do that, but I have to make this one stand. I love them, they do close to whatever their little butts want, but I just can't allow them this.

I'll tell you - it does work, but make sure you have some refills handy. I thought they would learn to not go up there after being sprayed a few times. That did happen, but they also learned that after a while it STOPS spraying and the counters are free and clear again.. :evil: It took them a while to figure it out, but they did.

I figure your kitties are smart enough to figure that out too - so there's my warning!

Jim Hall
May 8th, 2008, 10:56 AM
thats what has alwaus intrigued me about cats they can be so smart and clever one moment and completly stupid the next

usally dogs are either stupid or clever and stay that way

ancientgirl
May 8th, 2008, 10:58 AM
That's the problem I see. I can't buy those refills forever! I did get the kind that emits a sound. So I'm hoping the sound also deters them. Of course, at some point they'll figure out, "Hey, that big noise can't do anything to us! Party!"

I may have to go the super glue route. :wall:

phoozles
May 8th, 2008, 11:04 AM
thats what has alwaus intrigued me about cats they can be so smart and clever one moment and completly stupid the next

usally dogs are either stupid or clever and stay that way

No kidding.. how about some consistency kitties!

That's the problem I see. I can't buy those refills forever! I did get the kind that emits a sound. So I'm hoping the sound also deters them. Of course, at some point they'll figure out, "Hey, that big noise can't do anything to us! Party!"

I may have to go the super glue route. :wall:

Yeah, the sound only works for so long. You might have better luck if you, say, get 3 refills and use them back to back. I had a pause in between switching out the refills, so they learned that sometimes it's okay to go up there - you have to take your chances.. :shrug:

ancientgirl
May 8th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Okay, I'll see if I can get a few refills before the one I will get runs out. I did read on a review on Amazon, someone said they used as a refill a regular canister of air from an office supply store.

Hopefully the sound will also be a deterrent. I don't want to resort to that scat mat. 1. because I feel like a terrible abusive person shocking them like that, even though it's not a big shock, and 2. what if they get used to it or don't mindit? I'll have wasted $70 for nothing.