Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

update and question for silky losing eyesight

suzyljank
June 27th, 2004, 11:52 PM
It's been a couple of weeks now since we found out our little silky Savannah is going blind. She is starting to adjust slowly and doing a better job than I am. She's such a sweetheart. Unfortunately the other day she took a tumble down the stairs. It scared her and me but thank heavens she's alright. My problem is that now she is very leery of the stairs and I don't blame her but I do want her to be able to go up and down them, with supervision of course. Any suggestions on how to help her not be so afraid.
I also need help finding a safe accordion style gate but I'm having no luck. Does anyone know the name of a pet store that sells one?
I also have a little boy silky named Max and he doesn't understand why his sister won't play with him right now do you think in time that will get better? I hope so. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Suzy?

melanie
June 28th, 2004, 02:06 AM
oh poor baby, it must be so hard for you both. cant answer your other questions, but instead of the accordian gate, try a baby gate, available at kmart and all home stores and probably cheaper, or try garage sales, you may find a cheap secound hand one. hope things get easier

Lucky Rescue
June 28th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Right. Don't buy gates at pet stores as they are too expensive. I got mine at Walmart.

You can put gates up for now, and then as your dog adjusts more to the layout and stairs etc. and memorizes it, you can lift the gates.

You can help her by teaching her what "Upstairs" and "Downstairs" mean. Keep her on leash. Take her to the bottom of the stairs and say "Upstairs" and lead her up one step. Let her take her time. She'll catch on.

She will be okay! The blind husky I spoke of plays with the other dog in the house, and does everything a sighted dog can do (except go out off leash of course). Next time I see that person, I will ask just how she helped her dog adjust to his blindness.

LavenderRott
June 28th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Here is a website for people with blind dogs. You might try there to get some helpful info.

link (http://www.blinddogs.com/)

suzyljank
June 30th, 2004, 11:18 PM
Thanks so much for the website regarding blind dogs. I went to it today and was able to join and talk to other pet owners of blind dogs and it has helped me so much. I was so surprised that so many dogs go blind, but I'm thrilled that most of them live long and normal lives. What a relief. I'm also happy to get any advice I can. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Chatting with all of you has been a real boost for my spirits. Suzy :)