Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poll to Ban Pit Bulls in BC!

babyrocky1
May 7th, 2008, 06:53 PM
http://www.ctvbc.ca/

Don't know what started this one but here we go..... ! Please take time to vote!

wdawson
May 7th, 2008, 07:05 PM
http://www.ctvbc.ca/

Don't know what started this one but here we go..... ! Please take time to vote!

was there not an attack yesterday somewhere.

i know there was a lab bite earlier this week in the gta.

babyrocky1
May 7th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I don't know Wayne, this is in BC though.. just saw the link now on Facebook, I don't have any background!

wdawson
May 7th, 2008, 07:11 PM
http://www.ctvbc.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20080506/BC_dog_victim_080507/20080507/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

here it is

wdawson
May 7th, 2008, 07:16 PM
the poll is over

45% yes
55% no.....:thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
May 7th, 2008, 11:18 PM
An 11 year old boy got attacked in a school basketball court by a loose pitbull, while a 2nd loose pitbull stayed away from the boy. The kid started running away :wall: from the dog as soon as it started coming his direction, the kid tripped & fell that's when the dog caught him. Only 1 dog bit him, again the 2nd stayed away. A neighbour grabbed a baseball bat, whacked the dog twice in the head to make it let go. Both dogs apparently stayed in the area and were caught for pick up by the SPCA.

Story here: http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article.jsp?content=20080505_203124_7664

It clearly states the SPCA is against BSL :thumbs up because it gives people false security thinking they won't get attacked if these breeds are banned.

There has been no news regarding the status of the dog, where the owner was at the time, or why they were loose.

The last thing BC needs is BSL :wall:

babyrocky1
May 8th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the link Growler... ! We know that with peeps like you out there to fight the "good fight" there won't be any BSL in BC and our appeal here is September 15th and 16th!:pray::pray::pray::dog:

deb12
May 8th, 2008, 12:46 PM
What I don't understand is first, where were those neglectful owners and what did they teach them.....

Second what was the kid doing to the dogs or dog....

Third is the man hitting the dog with the baseball going to be charged too?

Plus Charge the owners and not the dogs!!!!!:frustrated:

Sorry said my peace :mad:

MIA
May 8th, 2008, 01:59 PM
From the news reports the kid did NOTHING to the dogs, the dogs startled the children so they ran, the boy fell and the one dog attacked.... The young man heard the boy screaming and came out with his bat to get the dog off the boy, and no he won't be charged, he saved the young boy (over 100 stitches). The dog that did the biting will be PTS if it hasn't already and the SPCA is assessing the other dog but it won't be going back to the owner.

There's the coles notes version.

MIA in BC

babyrocky1
May 8th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Another poll... click on the "Question" thingy...
http://www.600am.com

babyrocky1
May 8th, 2008, 04:48 PM
What I don't understand is first, where were those neglectful owners and what did they teach them.....

Second what was the kid doing to the dogs or dog....

Third is the man hitting the dog with the baseball going to be charged too?

Plus Charge the owners and not the dogs!!!!!:frustrated:

Sorry said my peace :mad:

I don't think the kid was doing anything to the dogs.. but definitely charge the owners!
Sometimes people think that our whole mandate is to fight breed bans, but its really to encourage responsible ownership and regulate breeding instead of breed bans which do nothing but punish responsible citizens and murder innocent dogs.

mastifflover
May 8th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I don't think the kid was doing anything to the dogs.. but definitely charge the owners!
Sometimes people think that our whole mandate is to fight breed bans, but its really to encourage responsible ownership and regulate breeding instead of breed bans which do nothing but punish responsible citizens and murder innocent dogs.

Well said I could not agree more.

growler~GateKeeper
May 8th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the link Growler... ! We know that with peeps like you out there to fight the "good fight" there won't be any BSL in BC and our appeal here is September 15th and 16th!:pray::pray::pray::dog:

I sure as heck hope we don't have it out here :pray:

:pray:ing your appeal is passed :goodvibes:

rainbow
May 9th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Another poll... click on the "Question" thingy...
http://www.600am.com

Results of this poll .....

http://www.600am.com/pages/3531/?success=yes&voted=yes&pollId=4039

:thumbs up

rainbow
May 9th, 2008, 01:13 AM
The ptibull that attacked the boy was euthanized on Wednesday with the owners consent. The other pitbull is supposedly owned by someone else that lives in the same house. It is still in the custody of the SPCA and it is so far undecided as to what will happen to her.

growler~GateKeeper
May 9th, 2008, 01:18 AM
:rip: poor sweet :angel2: pup :candle:

In no way should the other dog be euth it had nothing to do w/the attack :frustrated: stupid owners :wall:

if only the kid had not started to run.......

rainbow
May 9th, 2008, 01:33 AM
I never heard about this version of the story before....

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=22fa0a64-696e-4f4d-bb7b-07e9c434d7bb

deb12
May 9th, 2008, 08:28 AM
For sure Growler,

I feel sorry that the lack of proper ownership has put this pup down! Pitties love to be worked and taught things, it's too bad that some owners don't know this, what a shame! :sad:

Brooster
May 9th, 2008, 09:26 AM

Looks like the poll(s) were won by the rightside.
Thanks for the dates, BTW, I thought the Rambo issue was going back to court this month to determine if the pooch could live with Gabriella until the final court decision. Anybody heard anything?

mastifflover
May 9th, 2008, 09:26 AM
One more thing maybe parents should teach their kids how to act around dogs. This case it seems to be the owners fault but a lot of bites are because of what kids do to them or how they act towards them. Personally I do not allow kids to play with my dog why take the chance. I always say sorry no you cannot pat him and keep walking.

Chris21711
May 9th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Looks like the poll(s) were won by the rightside.
Thanks for the dates, BTW, I thought the Rambo issue was going back to court this month to determine if the pooch could live with Gabriella until the final court decision. Anybody heard anything?

Last thing I read in the Star, was it goes back to court in June.

babyrocky1
May 9th, 2008, 11:09 AM
One more thing maybe parents should teach their kids how to act around dogs. This case it seems to be the owners fault but a lot of bites are because of what kids do to them or how they act towards them. Personally I do not allow kids to play with my dog why take the chance. I always say sorry no you cannot pat him and keep walking.
When we went to committee we informed them.. well people in the know did, Im not expert. that the studies show that ONE hour ONE time of education in schools per child would decrease that childs chance of being bitten by a dog by 85%!
These A$$holes know what kind of legislation and education needs to happen but they just don't give a rats behind! Thats whats so infuriating.. theres been a number of dog attacks on people, definitely kids since this ban went into effect, ofcourse not by "pit bulls" many don't even make headlines.. but as far as I'm concerned every bite and attack ... Michael Bryant and his band of "ban crazed" self-serving ...(insert your own derogatory term) :yell::yell::yell::yell:... are DIRECTLY responsible for every one of them when they REFUSED to enact appropriate legislation.:wall:

babyrocky1
May 9th, 2008, 11:10 AM
off topic but HEY BROOSTER... when r u coming back to the "pittie Walk"??????

mastifflover
May 9th, 2008, 11:26 AM
When we went to committee we informed them.. well people in the know did, Im not expert. that the studies show that ONE hour ONE time of education in schools per child would decrease that childs chance of being bitten by a dog by 85%!
These A$$holes know what kind of legislation and education needs to happen but they just don't give a rats behind! Thats whats so infuriating.. theres been a number of dog attacks on people, definitely kids since this ban went into effect, ofcourse not by "pit bulls" many don't even make headlines.. but as far as I'm concerned every bite and attack ... Michael Bryant and his band of "ban crazed" self-serving ...(insert your own derogatory term) :yell::yell::yell::yell:... are DIRECTLY responsible for every one of them when they REFUSED to enact appropriate legislation.:wall:

Babyrock that is exactly the problem they do not want to address the real problem. You can be assured that if those attacks were by a PB or Staff they would have definitely made the news.
When is the next walk Clark and I may like to join you

babyrocky1
May 9th, 2008, 01:26 PM
We are just trying to put a schedule t ogether now.. generally we walk every Sunday night, but this Sunday is Mothers Day and I think the next Sunday is the long weekend.. we walked lasts years Victoria Day weekend and the firecrackers freaked the dogs out.. so we are figuring it out now and Ill let you know as soon as possible.. WE would lOVE to have you.. oh we had an amazing Mastiff last weekend.. you would have loved him!
Ill get those pics up soon!
Why don't you pm me and Ill give you my number!

mastifflover
May 9th, 2008, 03:34 PM
PM'd you babyrock

babyrocky1
May 9th, 2008, 09:51 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/bc/news/yourstory/features/v-080507-pitbulls.html
Wow, is nothing else going on in BC??????
Were winning this one but lets knock it out of the park!

babyrocky1
May 9th, 2008, 09:58 PM
http://newsdurhamregion.com/news/article/98550
so how similar are these two storys yet no talk of a ban on labs! At least this one was reported!

rainbow
May 9th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Wow, is nothing else going on in BC??????
Were winning this one but lets knock it out of the park!

Thanks for posting the link.....I had already voted and we're winning again :thumbs up ......

rainbow
May 9th, 2008, 10:11 PM
http://newsdurhamregion.com/news/article/98550
so how similar are these two storys yet no talk of a ban on labs! At least this one was reported!

It just goes to show that any breed can attack. The article says "lab type dog"....I hope that it is not a lab/pitt cross especially since this happened in Ontario. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

BeagleMum
May 9th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I can't believe that 51 people voted that the dogs are at fault because they are bread to kill. :wall: Oh when will people grow a brain??? :shrug:

babyrocky1
May 9th, 2008, 10:16 PM
LOL. yeah, when they said "heavy set" I thought... here we go.. lol but if they even thought he looked like a "pit bull" distant relative, the word would have been in there LOL

babyrocky1
May 9th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I can't believe that 51 people voted that the dogs are at fault because they are bread to kill. :wall: Oh when will people grow a brain??? :shrug:
Thats mob mentality for you.. but the vast majority is on our side.. thing is those fifty one people, or that small percentage.. are usually a little of their Rocker and can be dangerous, they are the reason we ( pittie co-op) don't publicize the locations of the walks.

growler~GateKeeper
May 10th, 2008, 12:10 AM
I feel sorry that the lack of proper ownership has put this pup down! Pitties love to be worked and taught things, it's too bad that some owners don't know this, what a shame! :sad:

I know, and if these dogs (now they are saying both attacked :confused:) were properly cared for this never would've happened. Stupid owners :mad:

And they still haven't mentioned if the boy had any interaction with the dog prior to the attack, even something as "small" (to non dog owners) as being stared at or yelled at would frusterate any dog.

the studies show that ONE hour ONE time of education in schools per child would decrease that childs chance of being bitten by a dog by 85%!

Exactly and the very first thing that should be taught is: Do Not RUN! I know the kids/adults are scared & it's instinct to run but they don't realise it's dogs instinct to chase :pawprint:

rainbow
May 10th, 2008, 12:12 AM
I agree......well said Growler. :thumbs up

babyrocky1
May 11th, 2008, 03:01 PM
http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/letters/story.html?id=ceb34a96-8a59-4bd7-8b56-731d8a6c516f

Can we get this kid on the Ontario Government advisory committee! I'd be happy to have him as an MPP... !

DoubleRR
May 12th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Should be mandatory in schools since we cannot legislate good parenting to teach kids how to act around all animals--in particular dogs which they will come in contact with at some point wherever they live.

I once stopped what could have been an awful attack. A 7 yr old boy was screaming and running down an alley I was crossing--with a large male doberman chasing him, gaining rapidly, and barking and growling. That is the only time I saw a really aggressive doberman. I yelled at the kid to stop [he at least slowed down] and lept in between and ran growling at the dog to "GO HOME!!!!!" It stopped,circled, growled a bit, and went back up the alley. By then the kid had calmed enough for me to sternly lecture him on the danger of running from any animal--particularly a dog whose first instinct is to chase. I found out later the dog was loose in the back of a truck behind the BAR and the kid had gone up to the truck and teased the dog. Who was at fault? Primarily the dog owner, then the lack of education of the child.

babyrocky1
May 12th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Absolutely, mandatory edcuation in schools! That was one of the hundreds of recommendations made to the committee that was dismissed in favour of BSL!

Brooster
May 13th, 2008, 09:16 AM
PJ was quite happy playing ball with the kids. Then a couple of them tried to "shoot' him with those cap guns, and one tried to hit him with an electrified bug racquet. On the second swing he took the thing out of the kid's hand, happened so fast.
We find him a little skittish now,the sound of a basketball hitting the pavement sends him heading for home.
He still warms up to the young neighbour girls in a big way but we're keeping an eye on him.