Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My 2 yr old Bichon Pees Blood Sometimes

brandikiss
May 7th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I was wondering if someone could help. I just adopted a 2 year old male Bichon Frise who is not yet neutered. Sometimes he pees blood. He doesn't seem sick or tired lately but when I take him outside and he pees I can see bright red blood mixed with his pee. Then when he comes in he has blood stains on his hair around his penis.

When I first got him he couldn't poop so I took him to the Vet. The Vet said his prostrate and anal glands were swollen and because he is not neutered he will have this problem. He gave me antibiotics which I gave my dog and he gave an cortisone injection and cleaned out his anal sac. That was 2 months ago.

So far he has not been constipated since but he pees blood sometimes. Is there a relation to this? I also am getting him neutered next Monday.

I'm scared he's really sick.

14+kitties
May 7th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Welcome brandikiss. Thank you for getting your dog fixed soon. Please make your vet aware of what is going on with him. You may want to phone him before Monday just to let him know. I am not a vet so would not want to venture a guess.

brandikiss
May 7th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I went into a Vet's office and asked about the peeing blood. She said to watch that he's able to pee and that he pees enough and it should be ok, but if he keeps peeing blood to get him examined. It was kind of an unsatisfactory answer. Kind of like "leave it to chance".

He is getting neutered at a spay and neuter clinic so it is not his Vet. The only Vet he has is the one I went to once when I got him 2 months ago. I didn't really think he was very good so will get another Vet. The reason I'm going to the Spay/Neuter clinic is because they are reasonably priced and I don't have a lot of money, plus I think they will do a good job because that's all they do, besides giving vaccines also.

But about my post about him peeing blood, I'm wondering if anyone else's male dog pees blood and what did it mean for their dog. He pees blood lately about once or twice a week for about 3 weeks.

growler~GateKeeper
May 7th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I would take him in as soon as possible, peeing blood is never a wait & see, especially for males can mean urinary/bladder stones

the gang
May 7th, 2008, 07:53 PM
i agree, i would see the vet asap, it could be a lot of things- stones, chrystals, urine infection, anything this is something i would get checked asap, good luck have had many male dogs, they never did this, there must be a probelm!

badger
May 7th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I would also suggest not having him neutered until the problem is cleared up. I have cats not dogs but my vet refuses to neuter if there is another ongoing problem, because it is too stressful for the animal.

rainbow
May 8th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I agree with everyone....you do need to get this problem checked out before you gt him neutered. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes: