Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Getting some kitten frustrations out

phoozles
May 7th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Don't mind me, I just need to rant a bit now.. :yell:

It seems as though Alley's aggressiveness is getting worse. As you may know, Alley is my 8 month old kitten that will not only eat ANYTHING, but she'll snatch it out of anyone's hands at a moment's notice.

New foods that I now have to hide from Alley:

Almonds
Protein powder
Green peppers
Lettuce
Special K cereal (the actual cereal, without milk in it)
Actual bags of milk - she can puncture them now
Pears

Just to add to the other ridiculously large list of foods - which again, is almost anything..

I'm starting to get a little concerned. We used to be able to have the two cats eat at the same time - if I added water to Alley's food she'd slow down while eating, thus allowing Jake to finish before she cleaned out his bowl.

Well, she's a smart cookie, and realized she could have both if she snatched some of his food before finishing hers.

So now we lock her in another room while eating. But now I have to lock her in while I'm getting their food ready, because she jumps up and tries to snatch whatever she can out of the bowls - sometimes taking a piece of my hand with her.

We, of course, have to lock her up also any time we are making and/or consuming food for ourselves. If we feel bad and leave her out, and try to eat while standing up, she'll actually climb us to get to the food.

I feel like she's spending more time locked up than not. :sad:

Sounds like she's starving. But I don't think so. She's still eating a decent amount - doesn't beg for food when it's not around. The only time I hear her ask for food is just before her regularly scheduled feedings, and that's usually because Jake starts it.

Plus she seems to want to snatch anything, especially if it's in a bag. My FH buys cigarettes that come in a bag (yeah, don't even get me started on that), and if they are laying around, Alley will snatch the bag and take off, biting holes in the cigarettes themselves.

I know it sounds funny to those not going through it, but it's getting worse and very frustrating. It's been a long time since Jake was a kitten, so I don't remember his annoying habits (although I know he wasn't like this), and how long it took him to grow out of it, but I'm fervently :fingerscr that she'll grow out of it. PLEASE ALLEY PLEASE!

Okay, rant over. *sigh*

ancientgirl
May 8th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I feel for you, I really do. Vlad is starting to drive me nuts with a certain behavior of his also.

I'm wondering, is there anything you can do to make some of this other food unappetizing? I just wrote that and I can't even imagine how you would do that :laughing: I know citrus scent is supposed to be yucky for them, but you can't very well put that on everything you eat or will eat.

I guess all you can do is keep the counters free of food of any kind. I hope she does outgrow it. Maybe once she gets a few months older she will settle down a bit. I hope. :fingerscr

14+kitties
May 8th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Devil's of our own making huh? :) We probably (I know I did) thought when they were tiny little ones....how cute that they do that. It's only when the behaviour persists and becomes annoying that we realize how badly we goofed. And the cigarettes........too funny! I wish my Pepe :rip: would have done that to me. Maybe I would have quit a lot sooner than I did.
Ally sounds like a joy.

krdahmer
May 8th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Palomine is also like that.... I can't even leave bread in a bag on the counter or I wake up to little tooth holes in it. The cigarettes are dangerous though, make sure those are always in a drawer or something she can't get into. I have no idea why Palomine is like this, and it seems to be really bad now, always stalking us while we eat etc. Other than feeding her seperately like you do, I can't think of anything else you can do. Palomine is only like that with people food, when I put his food down he just eats a bit and walks away, almost like he's disappointed that that is all he gets to eat.:shrug: Maybe we should be trying more variety for them. Do you ever use different flavours or brands, throw in some raw once in a while? We tried a bit of raw the other day and he was ecstatic! So we might do that a little more often for him, although with all the fussy eaters here it's getting hard to go away for a weekend, as feeding time is getting complicated! :rolleyes: The only other thing maybe would be feeding less but more often?

Anyhow I'm sure eventually you'll figure out the trick or she'll grow out of it :fingerscr!

phoozles
May 8th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I feel for you, I really do. Vlad is starting to drive me nuts with a certain behavior of his also.

I'm wondering, is there anything you can do to make some of this other food unappetizing? I just wrote that and I can't even imagine how you would do that :laughing: I know citrus scent is supposed to be yucky for them, but you can't very well put that on everything you eat or will eat.

I guess all you can do is keep the counters free of food of any kind. I hope she does outgrow it. Maybe once she gets a few months older she will settle down a bit. I hope. :fingerscr

We're doing our best to keep stuff off the counters - now it's getting to the point that she'll eat everything, so we have to keep everything aside at all times! Unless we lock her up - I had her locked up for about an hour last night as I made up some dinner - I wanted to wait until it was simmering on the stove. Of course, she walked on the stove after that, so I had to lock her up again in a new room. *sigh*

I hope you're right too and she'll mellow out.. :fingerscr

phoozles
May 8th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Devil's of our own making huh? :) We probably (I know I did) thought when they were tiny little ones....how cute that they do that. It's only when the behaviour persists and becomes annoying that we realize how badly we goofed. And the cigarettes........too funny! I wish my Pepe :rip: would have done that to me. Maybe I would have quit a lot sooner than I did.
Ally sounds like a joy.

Oh I never encouraged this behaviour or thought it was cute. Sure, it's funny when you tell other people, but since day 1 I've been doing what I could to stop it.. FH on the other hand.... :rolleyes: I'm just at a loss as to what to do.. and it's not getting better - it's getting worse..

phoozles
May 8th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Palomine is also like that.... I can't even leave bread in a bag on the counter or I wake up to little tooth holes in it. The cigarettes are dangerous though, make sure those are always in a drawer or something she can't get into. I have no idea why Palomine is like this, and it seems to be really bad now, always stalking us while we eat etc. Other than feeding her seperately like you do, I can't think of anything else you can do. Palomine is only like that with people food, when I put his food down he just eats a bit and walks away, almost like he's disappointed that that is all he gets to eat.:shrug: Maybe we should be trying more variety for them. Do you ever use different flavours or brands, throw in some raw once in a while? We tried a bit of raw the other day and he was ecstatic! So we might do that a little more often for him, although with all the fussy eaters here it's getting hard to go away for a weekend, as feeding time is getting complicated! :rolleyes: The only other thing maybe would be feeding less but more often?

Anyhow I'm sure eventually you'll figure out the trick or she'll grow out of it :fingerscr!

I'm glad (sorry :)) that you are going through something similar. I bet you're constantly shaking your fist at Palomine too! The only difference is that Alley LOVES her food too - every thing she eats she eats enthusiastically. I could feed her an old shoe and she'd at least give it a try! :rolleyes:

Right now I feed her small meals 4 times a day. I don't want her calorie count to be too high - I've already had one fat kitty, and I'm done with that. I've been weighing her every few days, and her weight has been holding steady. Maybe I should change up the food, she hasn't had any variety, really, and the only reason I haven't spiced it up is because I like to buy a case at a time instead of the individuals..

Thanks for the tips!

hazelrunpack
May 8th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Do you think she might need deworming? :shrug: I don't know how it would manifest in cats, but Cass had a voracious appetite when she had tape worms. :eek: She never climbed up anyone to get at food :D but she still surfs counters occasionally. :rolleyes:

phoozles
May 9th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Do you think she might need deworming? :shrug: I don't know how it would manifest in cats, but Cass had a voracious appetite when she had tape worms. :eek: She never climbed up anyone to get at food :D but she still surfs counters occasionally. :rolleyes:

I don't know .. Maybe I should bring her in *sigh* ..