Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Skin Irritation on Boxer

gaerwen
May 7th, 2008, 10:45 AM
My Boxer has red circle shaped irritation in his groin area...I have a pic but I cant post it? Anyway, my lab has hotspots and it doesnt look like that. It isnt hives either (we are very familiar with those on him!) :) They range from 1cm sized to about the size of a quarter or a bit bigger...they just kindof popped up over about three days.
We have an appointment for my Boston's reg. shots this week, so will likely just take them both in to the vet. In the meantime I am using an antifungall ointment on it. Anyone have any Natural suggestions? Should I clean it with Tea tree oil? Thanks in advance!
Gaerwen

bendyfoot
May 7th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Is it warm where you live? Does your dog lie in the grass? Are bugs like ants active? I remember last spring there was a "rash" (ha-ha) of red circles on a few short-haired pup bellies/groins here, including mine, and it turned out to be ant bites! Since you're talking anti-fungals, though, I assume you're concerned about ringworm? Your vet should be able to diagnose that one if it's the case.

gaerwen
May 7th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Its been +2 to +15, some rain...not too many bugs just yet..
I wonder if its the mold on the grass? All the snow just melted and he has been basking out there on the old brown lawn...?? Maybe I 'll try a benedryl today, see if it will subside...

jessi76
May 7th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't put anything on it until you get it seen by a vet. it could be demodex, in which case, a vet will need to determine the severity, and will prescribe accordingly. A vet will likely do a skin scraping to see if any mites are present. My dog had spots when a pup - it was in fact demodex (demodetric mange) and we simply applied a topical ointment (goodwinol). it slowly faded away. (I too assumed they were hot spots when i first noticed them)

ETA: my dog had them in the groin area, inside of legs, and on his side.

rainbow
May 7th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I also wouldn't put anything on it until your vet examines him. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

gaerwen
May 9th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Well, we asked the Vet while there for my Boston's shots... I was using Ozonal anti-biotic/fungal cream, and it has cleared up already. I actually had the Boxer in the car as I was seeing the vet, I took a picture on my digi-cam, took that in with me, and showed her..she said if the Ozonal stopped working to come back and she will give panalog. She said also to try eliminating any new suppliments he is on for a while.. in case its allergy related.
So, we're all good! Woohoo!!:thumbs up

rainbow
May 10th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Glad to hear that it has cleared up. :thumbs up

What supplements did you have him on? And, what are you feeding him?

gaerwen
May 10th, 2008, 11:25 AM
He has been on Elk Velvet Antler for his arthritis, although we are going to take him off that for now as he is developing more dominance aggression issues. We arent sure if its pain related or EVA related. He has deep tissue injury that we cannot seem to get to heal completely.
I have read that it (EVA)can cause increased testosterone and my trainer and vet both feel as he was neutered late (he was a repo'ed show dog before we got him) that he will tend to be more sensitive. He is also "a Big engine". He is by nature a dog that will take you 10 miles if you give him an inch. We are very diligent.

He is fed Wellness Core Grain Free dog kibble. We recently started him on Mackrel Oil, and think that may be the allergy..we used Salmon Oil before that and he was fine, just had rancid gas. He has been getting crushed free range organic egg shell (roasted so its more brittle) on his food as well. 1/4tsp 3-4X week.

We may try Vitamin E for the tissue damage.

rainbow
May 10th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Grain free is the best for him. :thumbs up

Have you tried Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM for him? The MSM is an anti-inflammatory that is completely safe. Have you talked to your vet about cartrophen injections?

If Salmon Oil doesn't agree with him you could try coconut oil. You can get it at the health food store....make sure it says organic extra virgin on the label.

gaerwen
May 10th, 2008, 03:41 PM
We have a very hard time getting him to eat anything like a pill, powder etc. Our lab is on Glucosamine/Cond/msm, but its been hard to get that into the Rico. (Boxer)I can get that in liquid form cant I? ...that would be easier as he loves Curry, I can make him a sauce! ha! Ill have to look for that next!

As far as the grain free, he was always a puker, just randomly throwing up here or there. That has stopped with the switch in chow.

I have never thought of coconut oil as a joint lubricant! Thanks!!!

Whats cartrophen? Would it be for his deep tissue damage? So far we have done massage,metacam, tramadol (arthritis) and he sees a chiropractor ( and loves him), heat, and no more than 15 walks for 12weeks (Made him VERY frustrated) He still starts to limp at about the 20 minute mark.. he is so full of energy that he gets pissy on the walks.

Thanks for all the info!

rainbow
May 11th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I would suggest Flexicose for your Boxer.....

http://www.flexicose.com/

Here's some information on Cartrophen....

http://www.arthritis.au.com/pain/pain_mast.htm

There are a few threads here discussing the benefits of coconut oil. I'll go find a couple for you. :)

rainbow
May 11th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Coconut Oil....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=40731&highlight=coconut+oil

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44957&highlight=coconut+oil