Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bobby Update

JanM
May 6th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Bobby is now on Glucosamine - 500 mg/day and he's doing great! He's had about 4 good days in a row - and it's heartwarming to see how his face has softened, his eyes are brighter and he is interested in things again.

WHEW! The vet had him on Purina Hypoallergenic food and with about a quarter of a bag left - his skin was dry, flaky and had red spots. I'm now feeding him Natural Balance allergy formula and his skin is improving. I've re-introduced Salmon Oil too.

Now that Bobby is doing so well I hope I can get back to posting here again - I've been checking in but haven't been up to posting.

Thanks again for the suggestions on Glucosamine - it's helping him a lot!

hazelrunpack
May 6th, 2008, 11:07 PM
WooooHoooooo! Great news! :highfive:

Glucosamine can do some amazing things!

Purina HA? :yuck: We used that to keep Evan's IBD under control but it was always about as appetizing as cardboard. :o I'm glad Bobby is doing so well on the Natural Balance! :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
May 7th, 2008, 01:28 AM
YAY!! for Bobby so glad he's feeling better :grouphug: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

TeriM
May 7th, 2008, 02:40 AM
Woohoo! I am glad that Bobby is doing better :thumbs up. Given his size I would definately increase his dosage to at least 500 mg twice per day (1000 mg total). When Riley hurt himself last year we even went to 2000 mg a day for a few weeks.

Love4himies
May 7th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Great to hear Bobby is doing better!

JanM
May 7th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks, everyone - it's been a rough time for us but we're getting over it now.. Better things to come for Bobby for sure :)

Ford Girl
May 7th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Jan thats wonderful news!!! Great to hear about Bobby's progress :angel:, he really is a cutie!! Happy to hear he's having good days and enjoying himself, and that you are a bit less worried!! Now you can enjoy the warmer weather!!

About 6 weeks ago we took Pubert off meticam for pain in his rear quarters - he was throwing up alot from the meticam, and he's now on a glucosemine formula mix - with a few other goodies in it, and he's stopped puking and is feeling better!! So ya, I agree - that stuff really does help.

Question - are you buying a vet formula or a human formula? What we have is fromthe vet, it was $30 for this bottle, 1 squirt a day, just wondering if you can shop around for these sorts of things. Sorry to thread jack!!

Oh, and how is Amber? :lovestruck:

I think we need to see pics of this new and improved Bobby!! ;) :lovestruck:

14+kitties
May 7th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I think we need to see pics of this new and improved Bobby!! ;) :lovestruck:

I totally agree!! It has been too long since we have seen these angels. :thumbs up on Bobby's health improvement.

JanM
May 7th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Holy Hannah - wonders never cease! Bobby went swimming in the ocean this morning! He was trying to eat a derelict part of a pumpkin so, knowing he only swims under duress - I threw it as a far as I could. He was in the water and swimming for it before my arm was back down! Whoopeeeee.. Oh, yeah - he got to eat the pumpkin :)

Ford Girl - I give Bobby 1, 500 mg capsule of Glucosamine Hydrochloride per day. I got it from the Health Food store - 120 capsules for $13.98. The capsules can be opened to sprinkle as much as is wanted on the food but I give him the whole capsule.

OK - pictures coming as soon as I can get some new ones...

Frenchy
May 7th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Given his size I would definately increase his dosage to at least 500 mg twice per day (1000 mg total). When Riley hurt himself last year we even went to 2000 mg a day for a few weeks.

That's right , Sam gets 1000 mg per day. Bailey gets 750 mg per day.

Hurray for Bobby , I'm glad he's doing better , although ... some picks would help us make sure he's ok ? :rolleyes: :D

mastifflover
May 7th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Great news for you and Bobby. Welcome back

loopoo
May 7th, 2008, 01:27 PM
that is great news:thumbs up so glad he is feeling better and his energy level is good

rainbow
May 7th, 2008, 02:23 PM
WOO HOO for Bobby.....so glad to hear that the glucosamine is helping. :thumbs up

If anyone is interested, Dr. Lee gave his thoughts on glucosamine/chondroitin in this thread....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=51380