Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy sleep?

piggie916
May 6th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Well, i recently just picked up my 2nd puppy. First puppy was rescued, 2nd puppy was purchased from a friend.

http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg33/piggie916/Pig/

I had a few questions to ask you vets. My first puppy did not sleep that much, my new pit seems to only want to sleep and be lazy after VERY short play periods or a 20-30 min walk. He sleeps up to 3 hours sometimes, gets up, eats a little bit of food, plays for a hour and hes back to cuddling one of us. Even when i am walking him, if i stop for a brief 10-20 seconds he will just flop down and try to sleep on my shoe.

Now, something i am worried about. His breathing increases to about x7 its normal rate, like he just got done running. Hes VERY loud and he snores. Is this typical for a 11wk old pit?

TeriM
May 7th, 2008, 02:07 AM
He is adorable :lovestruck:.

We are not vets here, mostly just animal lovers who try to help each other. It is not unusual for different puppies to have varying levels of energy and some seem to sleep a lot when going through growth spurts. A 20-30 minute walk is actually probably to much walk for an eleven week old puppy, you are better off splitting that into two shorter walks.

I would definately be concerned about his breathing and recommend that you see a vet ASAP for a health checkup. Young puppies do not have strong immune systems so if he is sick he needs to be treated quickly.

Good luck.

piggie916
May 7th, 2008, 03:24 AM
The breathing x7 the normal rate does not happen outside of sleep. Thats why i haven't made a big deal out of it. If you think its vet worthy then i will be going tomorrow.

And i met "vets" like Veterans lol, WRONG WORDING FOR A PET BOARD!

Love4himies
May 7th, 2008, 06:01 AM
And i met "vets" like Veterans lol, WRONG WORDING FOR A PET BOARD!

:laughing::laughing:, you're right, we think of vets as the medical kind but there are a lot of members who have a tremendous amount of experience with dogs!

bendyfoot
May 7th, 2008, 08:41 AM
It's impossible to say for sure about the heavy breathing, but my youngest dog breathes VERY loudly and rapidly when she's in a dreaming state...she ususally gets twitchy legs and ears and lips too...Now, it's not all night, and the "episodes" usually last for less than five minutes at a time. If you wake up your pup during the loud breathing, does it persist or does it stop once he wakes?

piggie916
May 7th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I try not to wake him during REM sleep (random eye movement). Thats when they are playing out there dream world, barking, crying, growling. Its the best sleep for any animal/human so. He does it ever time he sleeps tho, always with in the first 3-4 min, then his breathing goes to normal.