Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Disturbing Find @ Work.

Stacer
May 6th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Yesterday one of my co workers found some paraphernilia that could possibly be related to animal sacrifices in the park that we work in.

We work in High Park, which is a very large park in the heart of Toronto, approximately 150 hectares. All sorts of crazy stuff happens in the park once the night comes, definitely not a place you'd want to be once the streetlights come on.

Anyway, yesterday she was doing some work in a very open prairie type area and she saw something in the hollow of an oak tree and investigated. She found animal skulls (cat?), metal goblets, something wrapped in a string of beads, all sorts of unidentified metal objects, mini garden tools and homemade mini animal traps. Alot of weirdness.

She reported her findings to the park supervisor and was told that over the years similar sites have been found all over the park.

I'm quite disturbed by this, I don't want to imagine what goes on. We work in remote areas of the park as an all female crew and it just makes me feel sick.

Does anyone happen to know anything about animal sacrifices?

want4rain
May 6th, 2008, 09:13 PM
a little. ive come to the conclusion that people make up what they want to and call it ancient lore of which makes other wanna be 'witches' do something 'witchy'. watch out for folks like that, any religious zealot is capable of great harm.

to also say that if they are leaving things like that AT the park, its possible a bunch of kids are looking to intimidate you or other people who frequent the park.

the latter is more likely.

-ashley

Stacer
May 6th, 2008, 09:31 PM
The items were tucked away in the hollow of an oak tree, an ordinary passerby wouldn't have spotted the stuff. We do oak monitoring in that area and have to specifically look at the trees closely.

I'm not entirely convinced it's just kids. Toronto's a big city that has alot of weirdos with alot of kooky ideas.

hazelrunpack
May 6th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Man, that's just disturbing on so many levels! :eek: Any evidence of blood-letting? Or just ceremonial objects?

They've found sites like that over the years, but no one has investigated?

CearaQC
May 6th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Easy... motion detector digital cameras or night vision cameras. Usually meant for capturing pics of wandering wildlife, but may also answer what really goes on out there.

Hide them in bird boxes or something like that. But I can't see any municipality forking over the funds to purchase the cameras. :shrug:

It could be real, or just a joke to freak people out. If you freak out too much though, they've done what they set out to do with shock value. Don't let them win!

want4rain
May 6th, 2008, 10:37 PM
i cant think of a good reason why a legitimate coven would leave behind their tools for years.

*shrugs*

-ashley

Love4himies
May 7th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Wow, that is disturbing! Did the park supervisor seem to care?

chico2
May 7th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Stacer,that's beyond disturbing:yell:
I doubt it's any kind of prank,there are plenty of sickos out there,especially a park at night.
I would think High Park is patrolled by police after dark,but then again,who cares if a little cat is beeing tortured:frustrated::yell:

ancientgirl
May 7th, 2008, 09:02 AM
There are some "religions" that use animal sacrifices as part of their rituals. I'm aware of a few of them, and am unfortunately familiar with one through my heritage. Santeria is practiced by many people in my culture, and is somewhat of a dirty little secret. I'm not saying all Cubans practice this, on the contrary, many are repulsed and embarrassed by it, as I am. That said, most of the ceremonies take place in the privacy of one's home or at an elders home. There are few ceremonies done in places like cemeteries and parks, because of the need to bury things in certain places. Train tracks are another area of usage. I have never heard though, of dogs or cats being used for any of the sacrifices attributed to Santeria, but there is a branch of Santeria which practices dark magic so it's possible they used dogs or cats. Mainly goats, chickens and pigs are used. What your co-worker may have found sounds like a form of black magic.

Sorry, didn't mean to freak anyone out. I don't practice this. Killing animals makes me sick. I do have to state, when I was younger, in high school, my brother became ill and in our culture Santeria is sometimes the last resort used to help someone. We'd just lost my mother to cancer and then my brother got cancer as well, so my dad and aunt looked to the last place that might possibly help. I personally believe he was cured because he was going to be cured by medicine, but he and (at the time) my father and aunt believed it was his induction. That was over 25 years ago, and I can safely say after his induction he has never participated in animal sacrifices of any kind. To this day he still has his objects, but they are kept out of site and he does not actively pursue this "religion."

Jim Hall
May 7th, 2008, 09:10 AM
ancient thats the first thing i thought of but santeria in toronto ?

Can the law enforcement get involved ?

ancientgirl
May 7th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Jim, you'd be surprised as to the things people get into all over the world.

I do know there was a time back in the late 80's and early 90's when police raided many homes because of suspected animal sacrifice. So if that is the case, then I believe the police can certainly be involved. I remember reading about a home being invaded by the police during a ceremony and many people went to jail. Back then people practiced it pretty openly, then once all the raids began happening, they crept back into the wood work.

aslan
May 7th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Ok before anyone assumes no i wasn't involved. I do know of a satanic cult that used to be in the area of high park. I don't know if they still are as i don't have anything to do with the person i knew who was involved. They will practice their ceremonies outdoors as it supposedly brings them closer to whatever it is you want to call their god. If you haven't handled the items too much i would phone the police. Unlike santeria, satanic worship isn't considered a recognized religion. Either way i'm with you I would be very concerned.

danaekitty
May 7th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Oh my, what an interesting thread! Religion is something I've studied and have always been interested in, although I am not religious myself... I think
W4R said it best, religious zealots are among the most dangerous of all people, capable of almost anything. I look forward to hearing more about this...

Frenchy
May 7th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Stacer , I think you should notify the police ... these people are sickos !

mastifflover
May 7th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I agree call the police. This is very disturbing I frequent High Park it is the best place to take your dogs through off leash. Plus it is a beautiful place. I really like the idea of the cameras maybe the police could help with lending the park some to see if they can catch these sickos. Keep us updated please and if there is anything the residents can do ask I am sure people would be willing to help any way they can to keep the animals safe from harm. A lot of the people who use the park would be mortified to find out about this and would want to help

want4rain
May 7th, 2008, 12:43 PM
well to also state a little fairness here- there are many 'off the beaten path' religions in the world who use animal bones, especially ones found or from food slaughter in rituals. for example an animal that has naturally given up or lost its life still can pass on its hunting prowess or luck. a friend of mine in high school, her family practiced a earthy spirituality. she had a whole collection of animal bones/skulls of which she found. she saw them as gifts of the animals who had passed away and felt they contained a bit of the animals... spirit??

but thats not what this feels like. i dont know of a single religion ive come across that would leave their tools in a public place like that for any other reason than to spook other people. if it had just been a ritual knife or beads or cloth, it could be in an oak (or any other place) to pick up wisdom, knowledge or 'good vibes' from the place it was left, but not habitually and not so many tools like that. either someone is begging for a witch hunt or they are trying to intimidate or lastly they are trying to hide their practice from close friendsor family.

-ash

ancientgirl
May 7th, 2008, 01:06 PM
They likely left their things because A. they were interrupted and ran, or B. are trying to send a message for people to not go by there.

Either way, if that's the kind of things these people do to fill their free time, notifying the police is the best thing to do.

rainbow
May 7th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I agree with Frenchy and Mastifflover and call the police to see what they have to say.

Stacer
May 7th, 2008, 04:13 PM
My co worker notified the park supervisor and it's really up to her to call the police. I haven't been in the park for the last few days, so I'm not sure if it has been pursued any further. I'm assuming nothing will be done as it seems as though nothing was done in the past. I'll ask tomorrow what, if anything, is happening.

As for police patrols, they do drive through the park on a regular basis, and I'm sure they're quite aware of the crap that goes on there after dark. The park is so large and alot of it is forested areas that the police don't do foot patrols in, that's where stuff happens, whether it's parties, prostitution, vandals etc....

For the members that live in the area and frequent the park, please don't be too freaked out. Who knows how long the stuff has been there, it could be years.

Hazel, just ceremonial objects.

mastifflover
May 9th, 2008, 12:37 PM
It would never deter me from going there but I will be more vigilant and if I see anything I will report it.