Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Needing some help!

cncrnd_pet_ownr
May 6th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Hi there. I don't know where else to turn. My one yr old male cat Diego (brown tabby) has come up to me this morning with a puffy eye and I don't know what to do. The vet here in town won't see him cuz they are busy and I don't drive to go to the next town. Please help me.

Melodie

Love4himies
May 6th, 2008, 12:39 PM
How puffy is the eye? Are you able to see if anything is in it? If there is, then your cat needs to see a vet immediately.

Does the eye appear to be irritated such as an infection, any discharge? If so, you can buy Polysporin Ear and Eye drops at the pharmacy counter. These drops are safe to use on cats and have a antibiotic solution in it. It is not a replacement for a prescription and a vet exam, but may give your kitty some relieve in the mean time.

If there is any bleeding, I would say you have to do the drive over to the next town, your kitty may need urgent care.

Good luck and let us know what the vet says.

cncrnd_pet_ownr
May 7th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Thank you so much for your respose. I've been to some other sites asking people aswell and most of them have said to use salt water on a warm cloth and rub his eye with it. I've been doing that and so fat it seems to be helping. My husband's stepdad will be in town tonight or tomorrow and I'll be running him to the vet while we're going to another town about an hour away. Thank you so much.

Melodie

14+kitties
May 7th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I would NOT be rubbing his eye with salt water on a cloth. If you want to do that then do a warm (only slightly) water salt bath where someone holds his eye as open as possible and the water is run over the eye. That way if there is something in his eye it can be flushed out - hopefully. If you are rubbing his eye you could be forcing anything that is in his eye in deeper which could cause a lot more injury to your cat's eye.
Let us know how the vet visit went.

cncrnd_pet_ownr
May 7th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Well thank you but what I've been doing(salt water on a cloth) is helping him imensly. His eye is open much more now and he's cuddling up to me again. But thank you anyways. And if anyone reads my first thread properly they'll see that I CAN'T GET TO A VET IN TOWN CUZ THEY WON'T TAKE ME IN AND I DON'T DRIVE. BUT MY CAT IS DOING WELL NOW SO THANK YOU!

14+kitties
May 7th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Well thank you but what I've been doing(salt water on a cloth) is helping him imensly. His eye is open much more now and he's cuddling up to me again. But thank you anyways. And if anyone reads my first thread properly they'll see that I CAN'T GET TO A VET IN TOWN CUZ THEY WON'T TAKE ME IN AND I DON'T DRIVE. BUT MY CAT IS DOING WELL NOW SO THANK YOU!

I do sincerely apologize. I read the first post properly. I also read your second post properly. In it you said "My husband's stepdad will be in town tonight or tomorrow and I'll be running him to the vet while we're going to another town about an hour away." I also read in the first one where it sounds like you were asking for help. :shrug: "Please help me." I apologize one more time.