Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Follicular Displaysia

rainbow
May 5th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Has anyone here had a dog with follicular displaysia? It also may be known as "coat funk" and allopecia x.

http://www.upei.ca/cidd/Diseases/dermatology/follicular%20dysplasia.htm

http://www.malamutehealth.org/articles/cf_understanding.htm

Frenchy
May 5th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Rainbow , it's not Logan now , is it ? :sad:

rainbow
May 5th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Yes, it is. :cry:

Frenchy
May 5th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Yes, it is. :cry:

OH CRAP ! :wall: what are his symptoms ?

:sorry: I can't believe this is happening to you :sad:

hazelrunpack
May 5th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Is the vet sure this is what Logan has? :grouphug: I thought Logan's problems were occurring mostly around his eyes?

rainbow
May 5th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Logan has the coat symptoms. My vet looked in her dermatology book and it mentioned a connection to crustiness around the eyes. She is looking into that further to find out more or whether it's a separate issue.

hazelrunpack
May 5th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Sheesh! :rolleyes: Just what you all needed! :grouphug:

So can they treat it? They mentioned something in one of those links about sex hormones playing a part and neutering sometimes helping...but that won't help Logan...

rainbow
May 5th, 2008, 11:13 PM
HA HA....nope, Logan was neutered at 6 months. It is "sometimes" a thyroid gland issue though. :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
May 5th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Has he had his thyroid levels checked? That would be a relatively easy fix! :fingerscr Lil Belle has to take two pills a day for hypothyroidism...levothyroxine. She loves 'em--they come in chewables and from her reaction, they're very tasty. :dog:

rainbow
May 5th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Logan's thyroid hasn't been checked yet but we do have a vet appointment tomorrow. One of our previous huskies had hypothyroidism but didn't get it until she was about 8 or 9 years old. She didn't have follicular dysplasia either.

growler~GateKeeper
May 6th, 2008, 12:05 AM
:grouphug: Poor you & Logan

What is the condition of his coat right now? Does he have any bare spots? or the puppy coat look in any places?

rainbow
May 6th, 2008, 12:41 AM
His coat is very coarse and is turning rust in places.

growler~GateKeeper
May 6th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Has he blown his winter coat yet? Did that look as normal? Is the hair breaking?

:grouphug:

:fingerscr :goodvibes: for the appt tomorrow of course :grouphug:

rainbow
May 6th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Haven't noticed much breakage but he doesn't blow his coat properly.

growler~GateKeeper
May 6th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Has his coat blowing always been like that?

Have you contacted the breeder to see if they have had any others with similiar symptoms? especially Logans' littermates?

rainbow
May 6th, 2008, 03:13 AM
Here's a picture that shows what his coat looks like. You can see the abnormal lighter colour with all the rust coming through.

Love4himies
May 6th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Poor Logan, :grouphug:

My what big paws he has :eek:

rainbow
May 6th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Yep, siberian huskies do have big paws compared to their size .......great for the snow. :D

Well, I'm off to the vet now :fingerscr ......will update later. :o

hazelrunpack
May 6th, 2008, 10:20 PM
any news, rainbow? :fingerscr :goodvibes:

TeriM
May 7th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Update please :).

I'm so sorry that poor Logan and you are dealing with this :sad:.

:grouphug::grouphug:

loopoo
May 7th, 2008, 01:28 PM
he is soo beautiful:lovestruck: i hope everything is all right and any condition treatment is minor and easily treated :fingerscr

Love4himies
May 7th, 2008, 01:36 PM
How did your vet visit go, yesterday?

rainbow
May 7th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Logan is going back to the vet tomorrow for skin biopsies and blood work. The blood tests get sent to Vancouver and the biopsies to Calgary as the vet/pathologist there is supposed to be better.

They will be checking for follicular dysplaysia and also zinc deficiency and thyroid. I'm hoping for either hypothyroidism or zinc deficiency as both those are treatable.

luckypenny
May 7th, 2008, 02:06 PM
:goodvibes: your wish comes true Rainbow, and that Logan's issues are treated asap.

Love4himies
May 7th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I hope it is treatable, keeping my :fingerscr.

rainbow
May 7th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks to you both. :)

breeze
May 7th, 2008, 03:03 PM
have to go find my fairy dust for you rainbow and logan..
but for now :fingerscr:goodvibes::grouphug:

rainbow
May 7th, 2008, 03:08 PM
HA HA ..... thanks Breeze. Glad to hear you haven't run out from the last time you sent it my all way. :D

breeze
May 7th, 2008, 03:12 PM
HA HA ..... thanks Breeze. Glad to hear you haven't run out from the last time you sent it my all way. :D

never rainbow just have to remember where I put it..:D

I FOUND IT hehehe

rainbow
May 7th, 2008, 03:20 PM
:D .....thank you Breeze. :thankyou:

growler~GateKeeper
May 7th, 2008, 07:22 PM
:goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes: for favourable test results :pray: :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
May 7th, 2008, 09:32 PM
:fingerscr, :goodvibes:, 32 crossed :pawprint:s and :pray:s for good test results!!!!

Frenchy
May 7th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Oh , when I read your first post , I thought you were talking about some kind of hip displesia :o so it could be only his thyroid ? :pray: the vet didn't give you an idea today ? :sad:

Good luck for tomorrow :fingerscr

rainbow
May 8th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks everyone. My vet picked him up at 7:00am this morning on her way to work. We will pick him up at 1:00pm. :)

growler~GateKeeper
May 9th, 2008, 12:58 AM
:goodvibes: :fingerscr :pray: :goodvibes: :fingerscr :pray:

rainbow
May 9th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Oh , when I read your first post , I thought you were talking about some kind of hip displesia :o so it could be only his thyroid ? :pray: the vet didn't give you an idea today ? :sad:

Good luck for tomorrow :fingerscr

Sorry, I overlooked your post, Frenchy. :o We won't have any idea what the cause is until we get the results of the blood tests and skin biopsies.

The blood tests will let us know if it is thyroid or adrenal glands and the skin biopsy will let us know if it is follicular dysplasia. Oh and there is also the possibility of zinc deficiency.

Everything is treatable except the follicular dysplasia. It is considered a cosmetic disease so there hasn't been too much research done. Melatonin has helped in some cases for it and high doses of omega 3 in others.

rainbow
May 9th, 2008, 01:43 AM
:goodvibes: :fingerscr :pray: :goodvibes: :fingerscr :pray:

Thanks Growler. :)

rainbow
May 9th, 2008, 01:44 AM
We should get the results back for the blood tests tomorrow or Saturday at the latest.

The skin biopsies will take two weeks.

Chris21711
May 9th, 2008, 10:32 AM
If it is FD Rainbow, will it continue to get worse? I've never heard of it before, will it cause him much discomfort? :fingerscr that everything goes well for him. He is so handsome

rainbow
May 9th, 2008, 02:13 PM
If it is FD Rainbow, will it continue to get worse? I've never heard of it before, will it cause him much discomfort? :fingerscr that everything goes well for him. He is so handsome

Yes it will.....he will lose his outer coat and be left with his undercoat that will not shed. There are pics in the link I posted....the pics of Dog 1 are the saddest. :sad:

Some people have had luck with giving Missing Link, others with high does of Omega 3 and others with Melatonin. I am in the process of checking into those options even if they just help to slow down the progression.

Here is the link again with the linkto the pictures.....

http://www.malamutehealth.org/articl...erstanding.htm

rainbow
May 9th, 2008, 02:22 PM
The information from that website about the treatments that have helped some is from 2004.

If anyone knows of more recent information please let me know. :fingerscr

jessi76
May 9th, 2008, 02:35 PM
:sad: I was very sad to read this thread...poor logan. I don't have any experience w/ this, nor have I tried this product personally (so i'm not endorsing it really) but it may be worth looking into... you'd really have to research it though. (sorry if it's not much help to you)

http://www.nzymes.com/

Ford Girl
May 9th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Rainbow, I just saw this thread..duh!! Sorry!!! I knew there were problems but missed the details. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes: for Logan....poor boy. :sad:

rainbow
May 9th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Rainbow, I just saw this thread..duh!! Sorry!!! I knew there were problems but missed the details. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes: for Logan....poor boy. :sad:

Thanks FordGirl :) ....you've got lots of your own problems too and I'm sure that we will both get through them. :grouphug:

rainbow
May 9th, 2008, 08:17 PM
:sad: I was very sad to read this thread...poor logan. I don't have any experience w/ this, nor have I tried this product personally (so i'm not endorsing it really) but it may be worth looking into... you'd really have to research it though. (sorry if it's not much help to you)

http://www.nzymes.com/

Thanks Jessi. :) When I read about Missing Link being helpful to some I also thought of Nzymes so I will look into both. :)

rainbow
May 11th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Logan's blood tests came back and it seems like I have a very healthy 3 yr. old with a screwed up coat.

The skin biopsy results may be back the end of this week but probably not until next week.

luckypenny
May 11th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Does that mean no Follicular Displaysia, Rainbow?

breeze
May 11th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Logan's blood tests came back and it seems like I have a very healthy 3 yr. old with a screwed up coat.

The skin biopsy results may be back the end of this week but probably not until next week.

WooHoo
Logans's a healthy 3 year old!!:thumbs up:thumbs up

but I'm still sending you :goodvibes::goodvibes: for the skin biopsy

DoubleRR
May 12th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Hope he doesn't have this, as my RR has. Omega 3 does help, as does rubbing in a mild solution of tea tree oil on the spots. Prevents Caesar's coat from too much damage. You already are feeding well.
http://www.hilltopanimalhospital.com/seasonalalopecia.htm
Sounds like similar disorders.

rainbow
May 12th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Does that mean no Follicular Displaysia, Rainbow?

I'm pretty sure that's what the diagnosis will be. The skin biopsies were taken from several different areas and are also being checked for zinc deficiency and auto-immune skin diseases like pemphigus.

We may have the results by the end of this week but probably not until next week.

WooHoo
Logans's a healthy 3 year old!!:thumbs up:thumbs up

but I'm still sending you :goodvibes::goodvibes: for the skin biopsy

Thanks Breeze. :grouphug:

Frenchy
May 12th, 2008, 01:01 PM

So this looks like good news ? :fingerscr

rainbow
May 12th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Hope he doesn't have this, as my RR has. Omega 3 does help, as does rubbing in a mild solution of tea tree oil on the spots. Prevents Caesar's coat from too much damage. You already are feeding well.
http://www.hilltopanimalhospital.com/seasonalalopecia.htm
Sounds like similar disorders.

Sorry to hear about Caesar. :grouphug:

I don't think that is what Logan has as it isn't seasonal with him and he does spend a fair amount of time outdoors. It is just his outer coat that he's losing and does not have any bald patches.

The link you posted also mentions using Melatonin for seasonal flank allopecia. Have you tried it?

rainbow
May 12th, 2008, 01:06 PM
So this looks like good news ? :fingerscr

Actually, I was hoping that it was his thyroid as that would have been the easiest to treat and his fur would go back to normal with thyroid meds. Folicular displasia has no cure but Melatonin has worked in about 33% of the cases. High does of Omega 3 fatty acids are also helpful.

DoubleRR
May 12th, 2008, 01:33 PM
The link you posted also mentions using Melatonin for seasonal flank allopecia. Have you tried it?

No, I have not, since he has not had too much hair loss in the spring, and between lots of sun once it warms up, feeding Orijen and a little coat care--we do alright.[last year I supplemented extra vit e as he had a bit more loss---not apparently needed this year.]

What frosts my cookies is the local vet diagnosed his full sister as having hypothyroid and she has been on meds for two years. She is fatter and balder on her flanks than she was two years ago--but of course I am not a vet so who would listen. The owner is listening now, lol. I believe it is inherited sporadically, and am considering a full spectrum light in their day time winter quarters for next winter--can't hurt Dharma even though she doesn't have it, and might help Caesar.
His sis looks like the dogs on the site--to compare, pic taken just now of him--bad as he has been this year, and it will improve as summer comes along:
http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/23124Caesar_seasonal_flank_alopecia_08-med.jpg

rainbow
May 12th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I think I would try the melatonin. If it works you will notice a difference in 8 to 12 weeks.

Chris21711
May 14th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Rainbow, I was thinking if it is indeed FD, besides Logan's coat, will it affect his overall health?:confused:

rainbow
May 16th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Rainbow, I was thinking if it is indeed FD, besides Logan's coat, will it affect his overall health?:confused:

As far as I know it doesn't affect their health. :shrug:

hazelrunpack
May 16th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Any results, yet, rainbow? :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Chris21711
May 17th, 2008, 01:47 PM
As far as I know it doesn't affect their health. :shrug:

Well that at least is a blessing if it is FD.

rainbow
May 17th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Any results, yet, rainbow? :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Not yet. :frustrated:

Well that at least is a blessing if it is FD.

That's true but it is going to break my heart to see what he will end up looking like.....

http://www.malamutehealth.org/articles/cf_photos.htm

Chris21711
May 17th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I know it would be heartbreaking Rainbow, but he would still be your Logan regardless of what he looks like. Lets just :pray: that it isn't.

katherine93
May 17th, 2008, 09:15 PM
that link says that the "coat funk" thing is found in samoyeds too, ugh ohh, something else to worry about.!

Hope your doggy is alright! Do you think its life threatening?

rainbow
May 18th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I know it would be heartbreaking Rainbow, but he would still be your Logan regardless of what he looks like. Lets just :pray: that it isn't.

Yes, I will still love him just as much. :o I just wish I could find out more information about it and if there is anything more recent than 2004. :frustrated:

that link says that the "coat funk" thing is found in samoyeds too, ugh ohh, something else to worry about.!

Hope your doggy is alright! Do you think its life threatening?

Katherine, it is not all that common so I don't think you have anything to worry about. And, it does not affect the dog's health in any way. :)