Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My new guard dog

Frenchy
May 3rd, 2008, 06:07 PM
Nelly sure has gain confidence in herself ! She know finds it very important to warn me about the mean mail box across the street (she still doesn't like the new one my neighbor installed months ago) by growling at it , she also has to warn me about the mean mean .... wind :laughing: she looks outside and growls , but lately she has started to bark (just one or two barks) that scares the sh** out of me :laughing: I mean , she doesn't make a sound and than BARK ! And she has a loud one ! It's been very windy here this afternoon , she's been real busy :laughing:

I'm not used to it , Sam never barked and Bailey only barks when he's happy :shrug: or if there's someone at the door.

But I'm glad she's acting this way , my little girl is a mean machine now :D

Just thought I'd share :o

14+kitties
May 3rd, 2008, 06:11 PM
Bet it scared the bgeebers out of you when she barked!!:laughing::laughing:

Frenchy
May 3rd, 2008, 06:16 PM
Bet it scared the bgeebers out of you when she barked!!:laughing::laughing:

Exactly ! Once we were at my sister's place , Nelly was right behind my aunt ... and out of nowhere , barked , just one bark. My aunt hold her heart for about 10 minutes after that :laughing:

14+kitties
May 3rd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Exactly ! Once we were at my sister's place , Nelly was right behind my aunt ... and out of nowhere , barked , just one bark. My aunt hold her heart for about 10 minutes after that :laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing: Probably would have happened to me too. :D

hazelrunpack
May 3rd, 2008, 06:49 PM
She and Cole must be on the same psychic danger network! :eek: They'd get along really, really well... :rolleyes: If we ever get up for a visit, I'll remember to bring extra ear plugs. :laughing:

luckypenny
May 3rd, 2008, 07:51 PM
I can relate to the heart stopping :rolleyes: . Ava hears things in her sleep (while she's laying next to me of course) and jumps up barking :D .

Well, Nelly knows her Auntie LP. I'm sure you'll never hear me coming... to get her :D .

growler~GateKeeper
May 5th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Nelly wants to make sure you're paying attention :laughing:

Frenchy
May 5th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Well, Nelly knows her Auntie LP. I'm sure you'll never hear me coming... to get her :D .
:laughing:
Nelly wants to make sure you're paying attention :laughing:

More like : wakey wakey mom !!!

bj601
May 6th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Frenchy, we rescued a great dane 6 years ago. I hear you on the bark! Luckily though, it is the cat she likes to sneak up on and let loose with it. To this day I have never figured out how the cat doesn't hear a 130lb dog sneaking up on her:eek:

She's most vocal at dinner time. Especially if it is 5 o'clock and no one is in the kitchen getting it ready for her. Heaven help you, the grumbling starts as she stands at the gate by the kitchen, you get the "talking too" and it gets louder the longer it takes you. You could set a watch by that dog:laughing:

She's 8 and half now and has mammary cancer. The vet doesn't feel it would be in her best interest to do anything for her, just monitor it and kep her comfortable. Mind you, the vet doesn't believe she is 8 and a half. Everytime she sees her, she has to keep checking her records for age, can't believe how good her hips are. We tell the vet that's because her butt has never spent a day on the floor since she came to us. We have the human couch and the giant great dane day bed in our livingroom:D

I have never met a dog that can carry on a conversation the way she can!

chico2
May 6th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Awww,our beautiful Nelly,keeping mom on her toes:laughing:

Ford Girl
May 6th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Isn't it funny how they alarm you to those things...so cute. :laughing: Followed by a huge bark!! :laughing:

Dazy barks and gaurds against blowing grocery bags, out of place garbage, the wind, the darkness...heaven forbid we get a new piece of furniture!!!! LOL!

We hung a Calgary Flames flag in our front window and the first time Dazy realized it was there she went crazy growling, barking, showing her teeth tot he flag - we had to take it down for her to see it was a flag not to boogie man! :laughing: Mr. Snowman at Christmas time scares her too. :rolleyes: he's so means tanding there all stuffed and motionless!

Frenchy
May 6th, 2008, 12:32 PM
We hung a Calgary Flames flag in our front window and the first time Dazy realized it was there she went crazy growling, barking, showing her teeth tot he flag -

Maybe she just doesn't like the team :eek:

Frenchy
May 6th, 2008, 12:34 PM
To this day I have never figured out how the cat doesn't hear a 130lb dog sneaking up on her:eek:

Nelly sneaks up to the cats but it's only to grrom them. I don't know if it's the doggy drool but , both cats have extremely soft fur now :laughing:

rainbow
May 6th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Dazy barks and gaurds against blowing grocery bags, out of place garbage, the wind, the darkness...heaven forbid we get a new piece of furniture!!!! LOL!

:laughing: You just described Chase. :frustrated: :rolleyes: :o

Can you imagine if all our dogs were together? :eek:

Frenchy
May 6th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Can you imagine if all our dogs were together? :eek:

Yes :cloud9: :lovestruck:

rainbow
May 6th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Yes :cloud9: :lovestruck:

Yes, I agree :cloud9: :cloud9: .....but it would have to be out in the boonies and we'd have to wear earplugs. :D

Ford Girl
May 6th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Yes, I agree :cloud9: :cloud9: .....but it would have to be out in the boonies and we'd have to wear earplugs. :D

I vote for Hazel's place then...all fenced in with wild life to chase and an 8 pack to welcome us!!! Our own woofstock...:thumbs up

Rainbow - isn't it crazy, I always go look to see whats up, and it's never anything...but she gets right ridged and alert, hackles up, muscles flexed...and it's just a grocery bag blowing in the wind. :rolleyes: :laughing:

TeriM
May 6th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Hehe, silly dogs :cloud9:. Years ago I used to walk Lucy around a local college that displayed various art "projects", she was very good at protecting me from all those scary things :laughing:. I took Riley there a few weeks ago and he started barking like crazy at the same Buddha statue that Lucy used to bark at :lovestruck: Made me laugh :laughing:.

FancyAppy
May 9th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Frenchy they really can scare you with unexpected barking. Our dog barks very little so when she does I immediatly pay attention. the first time she barked after she was here for about a week nearly blew us away. She has a bark like a foghorn on a ship! unbelievable noise from a 60 lb dog. Everybody here at the farm stopped in their tracks and froze in place. Horses goats and cats all were totally baffled by this weird noise.

BenMax
May 9th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I am so jealous - my dog passed away last year and I miss him spitting all over the window when he barked. I didn't appreciate it then, but I would do anything to hear that bark/growl/spitting again...