Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dramatic yawning

CearaQC
May 3rd, 2008, 10:32 AM
My dogs do what I call dramatic yawning. lol

Do your dogs do that too?

What I mean by it.... well it's hard to explain, but they yawn with noises like they are really putting emphasis on the yawn, Sheeba especially. She likes to mix in roo roos with her yawns, sometimes both before and after, as if the yawning interrupted her roo roo. :laughing:

It's cute, but I've never seen other dogs do it.

jealma
May 3rd, 2008, 10:42 AM
I can't post the noise that comes out of my little girl but I do have a picture of her drymatic yawn. Animals are just not shy about opening wide and letting it go,, no paws covering the mouth for these guys.

Frenchy
May 3rd, 2008, 12:27 PM
She likes to mix in roo roos with her yawns, sometimes both before and after, as if the yawning interrupted her roo roo. :laughing:

Bailey will sometimes finish his yawning with a roorroo too :laughing: But Sam and Nelly have silence yawns. :shrug:

rainbow
May 3rd, 2008, 02:13 PM
Chase (yellow lab) makes all kinds of weird noises. :rolleyes: Logan (husky), on the other hand, is very quiet when he yawns. He saves all the roo roos for when he's talking. :D

Harley's_Mom
May 3rd, 2008, 03:09 PM
:laughing: Harley is a quiet yawner but Tova often needs to throw in the dramatic rooroo.

growler~GateKeeper
May 5th, 2008, 01:56 AM
Yep :rip: Cally used to occasionally do the "Arruaghhh" while yawning.......when he did that he sorta looked like he was :rolleyes: bored w/our conversation or what we were doing :laughing: We would ask him "Are we keeping you awake?" :laughing: :D

aslan
May 5th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Quincy does the old curl the tongue up then finishes with a low grunty grumbling like the yawn is thoroughly inconveniencing him. Bailley is very quiet about the whole thing but then he has to rub his eyes with his paws.

bendyfoot
May 5th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Our dogs both do the dramatic yawn. Dogs use yawning as a "calming signal"...sort of to say, "hey, chill out" or to shrug off something they don't particularly like. The noisy yawns (they usually have sort of a whinging high-pitched sound attached to them) happen when they're worked up about something or are told to do something they don't particularly want to do.

Their regular "I'm sleepy" yawns are pretty quiet most of the time.

Longblades
May 5th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Not just yawning. Puppyboy did some exaggerated sighs on the weekend when his morning walk was delayed. They were so loud I could hear them upstairs. SIGGHHH, I've been forgotten. SIGGHHH, I'm waiting patiently by the door. SIGGHHH, I'm being such a good boy. :)

Frenchy
May 5th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Not just yawning. Puppyboy did some exaggerated sighs on the weekend when his morning walk was delayed. They were so loud I could hear them upstairs. SIGGHHH, I've been forgotten. SIGGHHH, I'm waiting patiently by the door. SIGGHHH, I'm being such a good boy. :)

:laughing: same at my place , those poor poor neglected dogs :laughing:

Lissa
May 6th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Dodger is a bit-time yawner too... He likes to make a big production out of them...
I actually put it on command because I find it adorable... It's called "Dodger's stress!":laughing:

Ford Girl
May 6th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Dazy roo roos too with a yawn when I get home from work and she is stretching in her pen waiting for me to let her out, so cute!! :angel: And then sometimes it's a high pitched noise that comes out. She is very vocal. :lovestruck:

Chaser
May 6th, 2008, 01:02 PM
LOL....I'm glad to hear Chase isn't as weird as I thought! He has dramatic yawns, dramatic sighs, and all kinds of grumbling! Like if he is trying to sleep and people are talking too loudly and are disturbing him he will lift his head, stare them down, and grunt or grumble as loudly as he can possibly manage :laughing: This behaviour has earned him the nicknames of "His Highness" and "Master Chase"!

pitgrrl
May 6th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Our dogs both do the dramatic yawn. Dogs use yawning as a "calming signal"...sort of to say, "hey, chill out" or to shrug off something they don't particularly like. The noisy yawns (they usually have sort of a whinging high-pitched sound attached to them) happen when they're worked up about something or are told to do something they don't particularly want to do.

Their regular "I'm sleepy" yawns are pretty quiet most of the time.

Basil and Streets do the really big, over the top yawns after a tense/anxious/really excited situation, like passing a dog they really don't like, but know they have to behave around or after getting all riled up greeting someone. The later is usually accompanied by rooing or happy growling. :laughing: