Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I think my dog has depression

TheDutchess
May 3rd, 2008, 08:41 AM
Hi,
We have a springer spaniel bitch shes 2 years old.
We recently got a new kitten and introducing them isnt going so well. Since we have had the new kitten Angel (the dog) is laying in her bed looking sad we all fuss her and play with her but shes not the same.
Any help?
XOXOXOXO
:lovestruck:

mastifflover
May 3rd, 2008, 12:27 PM
I don't have any experinence with adding a cat but maybe get her out on her own with just you and really make it all about her and her favourite things like ball or whatever she likes. She may not like having to share you with another pet.

Sylvie
May 3rd, 2008, 02:05 PM
Your story sounds so familiar.

When we added a golden to our family, our female shepherd would not enter any room that Briar was in. She would stay in the hall and just stare into the livingroom. It broke my heart. This lasted a couple of weeks and then things turned around. Until the day she died she treated Briar like her baby. No one could do anything to him.

When we adopted another puppy, she would step in when they were playing to make sure that Briar was not getting hurt.

We still laugh today about those first 2 weeks. Briar is now 11 years old.

My advice would be to hang in there and try not to be too stressed because left alone animals will normally work things out. When your dog realizes that the kitten is there to stay, she will change her ways.

Good luck:)