Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Golden Retriever Chow Chews Tail Off

riverdreamer
May 2nd, 2008, 11:11 PM
My cousins dog Mikey chewed his tail off. He had previously been to the vet and was treated for hot spots. She had went on an errand and when she returned he had chewed his tail completely off. She returned him to the vet immediately, his tail was amputated,he has been placed on pain meds and, the steroid treatment continued. Since then, he has still been trying to chew at his docked tail and vomiting profusely. We realize that he may be vomiting due to the pain meds. We are at a total loss. The vet said that he may have done this due to the Chow in him although we are not thinking on those lines.
I have been reading some threads on here and have seen allergies mentioned. We are at a loss. Any information will be very much appreciated!

rainbow
May 3rd, 2008, 01:31 PM
What are they feeding him? How long have they been feeding it and how old is Mikey?

Frenchy
May 3rd, 2008, 04:17 PM
Allergies would be the first thing to look for. Same question as rainbow , what is he eating ?

riverdreamer
May 3rd, 2008, 08:12 PM
Hi Everyone!

Thank you for the questions and concern! I have more accurate info! My cousin is in TN and I am in WV and it was to late to call her when I came across this wonderful site. I have her on the phone now as she is trying to comfort Mikey. Anyway...

Mikey is 8 years old,he was a rescue at 6 weeks old. As for his diet he has been on Purina Lamb and Rice, Beniful and table scraps.

Updated info he was not treated for hot spots but for staff infection. He is not on steroids but, is on antibiotics and pain meds with something also to help him relax. He was sick from the anesthesia, however, the vomiting has subsided.

Two days before he got the staff infection was realized he had got into a fight with the neighbor dog, which belongs to the father in law. They may be fighting for territorial rights although, that is beside the point at this point.

He went the to vet today and the vet said the amputation looked good and took off the bandages. Since then one stitch has broken and he has bleeding.

Mikey is laying around whinnying and has a fever.
The fever may be be helping fight the infection although it is a still a concern. Mom does not think the tail looks good and is considering changing vets although, she is not sure. What looks horrible to us may not be according to their standards. Anyway, Mikey is a wonderful pet (he is her child) and we all love him so much.

I do not know if anyone has any suggestions for this however, any would be appreciated. Thanking you in advance!

~Animals are such aggreable friends they pass no judgement and give no criticism...they just love you~

SageBear
November 3rd, 2010, 07:49 PM
Wow, I can't tell you how much I feel for you all right now, I also have a Chow-Golden Retriever mix, and I've had a terrible time with her chewing at herself, but never to the point of chewing her tail off! Hugs to you all, and especially to the poor puppy and puppy-mama!

When we first got our Chow/GR mix, she smelled terrible and was constantly chewing on herself. She was an adult rescue dog so she was already eating adult food. Sadly, it seems that skin reactions are common in GRs. We tried a few different foods but we did eventually find something that worked like magic, it made a huge difference for our poor dog.

We have her on a Vet brand Hypo-allergenic food, I'm frankly shocked the vet hasn't mentioned this.. maybe they did and I missed it. If not, then i really would recommend looking into alternate care providers. We were really resistant to the idea of "hyper-allergenic" foods, cause we had read and heard so much about how there's no such thing and that the problem can be controlled through exotic proteins etc.. but when she started to get hot spots and sores we listened and I'm really glad we did. The vet told us the food actually has the proteins partially broken down so its easier for the dogs to digest.. whatever the reason, our Sunshine is completely itch free these days. :cloud9:

I would highly recommend it if it hasn't been tried already. We're using Hills Prescroption z/d (ultra allergen) with a bit of Salmon oil added for coat/skin health, but I'm sure there's a few veterinary brands with similar products. Good Luck, I'd love it if you could keep us updated! :grouphug:

SageBear
November 3rd, 2010, 07:52 PM
Just noticed the age of this post.. i wish there was an embarrassed smiley.. is there any new news on how the poor pup is doing?