Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

More chicken stalking by Storm

Gail P
May 2nd, 2008, 11:17 AM
Here one hen had slipped under a board and into an empty hay shed that's attached to the coop. Of course she had to be followed. :laughing:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/2008_0430dogs0065.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/2008_0430dogs0067.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/2008_0430dogs0069.jpg

Love4himies
May 2nd, 2008, 11:19 AM
Do any of your dogs every touch the chickens or do they just guard?

Gail P
May 2nd, 2008, 11:48 AM
Do any of your dogs every touch the chickens or do they just guard?

No, very rarely. It's something I strongly discourage right from the time they're little pups. Once in a while one or another may try poking with their nose, or kind of an air snap, but they get reprimanded quickly. They are reactive to anything that moves fast so although I come down hard on the dogs for any inappropriate behaviours, the other smaller animals we have (chickens, cats, rabbits), also learn that moving slowly around the dogs doesn't set the dogs off. If the dogs can get the cats to run, or the rabbits for sure they'll give chase (though not actually harm them, just hassle them), but the cats and rabbits are pretty smart. It's kind of funny to see a pup in the chicken coop when they start to poke their nose too close to a crusty old hen. She'll usually nail the pup right on the nose and boy do they act surprised :laughing:

Frenchy
May 2nd, 2008, 11:51 AM
omg ! That border collie pose ! I love it :lovestruck: what a good girl she is to not harm the chicken ! :angel: :thumbs up

rainbow
May 2nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
Amazing pics :thumbs up ....with the intent stares you would think that they are ready to attack though. They are very well behaved doggies. :lovestruck: :angel:

Love4himies
May 2nd, 2008, 01:05 PM
You have done a great job training them!

Gail P
May 2nd, 2008, 11:05 PM
omg ! That border collie pose ! I love it :lovestruck: what a good girl she is to not harm the chicken ! :angel: :thumbs up

Actually she's a he. ;) I have an all male pack of dogs except for Rain.

You have done a great job training them!

Define "great job" and "training" :laughing: I've just taught them how to be good "general around the farm" dogs well suited to me. They accompany me around doing chores, get out when I tell them (out of the coop or the bunnies pen) etc. and they'll all sit and wait patiently for treats but that's about it. Nobody has any amount of obedience training beyond sit and lie down, and if you came to my door you'd think I have a pack of wild crazy dogs. You would definitely be greeted by leaping, licking, sometimes muddy dogs that will barely let you get in the door. They do settle nicely though, and spend lots of their time indoors just lazing around on the furniture.

Lightning has taken 2 sessions of agility lessons, and some of them are in training as sled dogs.

Dracko
May 3rd, 2008, 10:40 AM
That look and posture they get is so distinctive. They must have so much fun out there with so much to do. I don't want Dracko to see these pictures. As a "city" dog, he'd be jealous.:o

ancientgirl
May 3rd, 2008, 11:53 AM
LOL, the chicken looks like she doesn't even know the dogs are there.:D