-->

How many border collies does it take...

Gail P
May 2nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
..To herd a rooster? :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/2008_0430dogs0081.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/2008_0430dogs0082.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/2008_0430dogs0085.jpg

Uh oh. He's got backup. Call for re-inforcements!

Gail P
May 2nd, 2008, 11:00 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/2008_0430dogs0084.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/2008_0430dogs0083.jpg

diandpat
May 2nd, 2008, 11:04 AM
OMG those are hysterical...are they still at it????

Ford Girl
May 2nd, 2008, 11:04 AM
LMAO! Doesn't look like that are doing so good at the herding part...the rooster looks like he'd stand his ground!! :laughing: It's something to see when the thing they are trying to herd doesn't move. :crazy:

Love4himies
May 2nd, 2008, 11:10 AM
:laughing: :laughing: Oh that is too funny, and the rooster is winning!

Gail P
May 2nd, 2008, 11:13 AM
Actually the dogs and the chickens (and rooster) all get along pretty well. My dogs have absolutely no herding training at all, but it's fun watching their instincts trying to tell them what to do. These pics were taken in the morning just after I did chores and let the chickens outside. No way were they going back in just cause a bunch of dogs are trying to tell them. In reality, the dogs weren't trying to put them away, just having fun stalking. :D

ancientgirl
May 2nd, 2008, 11:14 AM
Now that I get a better look at that rooster, he is HUGE! LOL, he's not going to let some pups tell him what to do huh?:laughing:

Frenchy
May 2nd, 2008, 11:54 AM
:laughing: :laughing: Oh that is too funny, and the rooster is winning!

:laughing: I think so too ! :p

14+kitties
May 2nd, 2008, 12:27 PM
Too funny!! Do the dogs ever nip or the rooster peck? (in self defense of course) :D Silly pups

rainbow
May 2nd, 2008, 12:50 PM
:laughing: :laughing: those pics are too funny. :D

Dracko
May 2nd, 2008, 10:27 PM
Holy cow! Those dogs don't stand a chance with that rooster if he turns on them. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Chaser
May 2nd, 2008, 10:43 PM
Haha...that's too funny! And those are some adorabe dogs :lovestruck:

Gail P
May 2nd, 2008, 10:46 PM
Too funny!! Do the dogs ever nip or the rooster peck? (in self defense of course) :D Silly pups

Nope. Actually, I posted more about how they get along in one of my other threads. Can't remember if it was the one about Storm stalking chickens, or the Careful Chickies one.

Holy cow! Those dogs don't stand a chance with that rooster if he turns on them. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Not to worry, he's very placid. Not exactly friendly, a little shy but easygoing. I wouldn't have them any other way. I've heard stories of people having to carry a stick and practically beat off their own rooster when trying to collect eggs. If mine was like that he'd be gone in a big hurry. The first rooster I ever had was a big Rhode Island Red that I named Bonfire. I could pick him up and carry him around real easy, and if i picked up a hen he'd jump up on a fence or anything taller nearby to keep a close eye on things but he was always friendly. He scared the living daylights out of somebody once though when we hosted a hay ride and had a barbecue. This person was standing around talking to me with a hot dog in their hand, kind of holding it out away from their body while they talked. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him crouching, getting ready and I warned them "watch it" but I was too late. He leaped up to grab at the hot dog (which of course went flying and he went nuts clucking to the hens to come and get some). That person had no idea what was after them I don't think.

growler~GateKeeper
May 2nd, 2008, 11:21 PM
Great pics :thumbs up Love the one w/all the dogs vs rooster :laughing:

Dracko
May 3rd, 2008, 10:37 AM
Not to worry, he's very placid. Not exactly friendly, a little shy but easygoing. I wouldn't have them any other way. I've heard stories of people having to carry a stick and practically beat off their own rooster when trying to collect eggs. If mine was like that he'd be gone in a big hurry. The first rooster I ever had was a big Rhode Island Red that I named Bonfire. I could pick him up and carry him around real easy, and if i picked up a hen he'd jump up on a fence or anything taller nearby to keep a close eye on things but he was always friendly. He scared the living daylights out of somebody once though when we hosted a hay ride and had a barbecue. This person was standing around talking to me with a hot dog in their hand, kind of holding it out away from their body while they talked. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him crouching, getting ready and I warned them "watch it" but I was too late. He leaped up to grab at the hot dog (which of course went flying and he went nuts clucking to the hens to come and get some). That person had no idea what was after them I don't think.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

My father and step-mom have chickens and ducks on their acreage. (The ducks they inherit each year from a nearby elementary school from the science teacher after the "hatching" experiment with the students.) One day one of the ducks went after their BC. Scared the crap outta her. I went to visit a short time after and the dog would NOT come near the chicken coup. :D We'd go down there and she would stay near the house.

The interesting thing about their chickens/ducks was that one of their buddies was a cat. They found the kitten when it was young but their house cat hated it. The cat ended up living in the chicken coop with the birds and now 5 years later still is. She sleeps in there and I'm not sure if she thinks she is a bird or that they are cats. :laughing: