Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pet Insurance

Crestfallen
May 2nd, 2008, 10:20 AM
Does anyone have any experience with Pet insurance in Canada? Can anyone offer me any insight into any good ones in Canada, or if it actually works?

I would appreciate it big time

SnowDancer
May 2nd, 2008, 11:19 AM
We have Vet Insurance (www.vetinsurance.com) - you can read all about it on the referenced site. They operate (payment wise) a little differently than some of the other plans. Note though that most plans don't cover regular health care - annual shots, etc. - more of accident/illness insurance. And they do not cover pre-existing conditions. This plan is based in Canada.

Kashi
May 2nd, 2008, 01:55 PM
We have PetCare Insurance.

- The indoor cat policy for Butterscotch.
- The Quick Care Optimum policy for Pugsley (it covers $150 of annual well-pet care, vaccines, etc, with no deductible)

rainbow
May 2nd, 2008, 02:10 PM
Pet insurance has been talked about by the members numerous times. If you do a search for it you will find quite a few posts. Here is one of the last ones that also includes a couple of other links you can click on....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=48704&highlight=pet+insurance+canada

Crestfallen
May 2nd, 2008, 11:43 PM
I keep looking at Pet Plan and it seems like a good plan. Does anyone have any experience with pet Plan? I have looked thru the posts and there is not an obvious "Yes we have Pet Plan and they're awseome" or "they're aweful"

It's down between Pet Plan and VPI

rainbow
May 3rd, 2008, 01:23 PM
I just found this website. I hope it is of some help to you .....

http://www.pet-insurance-choice.com/pet-insurance-ratings.html

SnowDancer
May 5th, 2008, 01:36 PM
It all depends on your needs (and I would consider "breed" one of those needs, particularly if prone to specific diseases/afflictions) - and your past experience. Unfortunately my past experience was several years ago when only the plans that cost $80 a month for zip were available. Now as you know there is a lot of competition in Canada for the pet insurance dollar. I went with Vet Insurance because of the lifetime maximum with payout of 90%- for covered conditions - with no limit per condition, yearly maximum per condition etc. Nothing like paying $6,000 in premiums, having surgery costing $6,000 and then only receiving $800 back. So we switched to just a savings account. But when we got our current dog and looked at the price of say setting a broken leg, surgery for blockage for the little Hoover; the new policy at many vet clinics of charging a "set rate" for hospitalization ranging from $125 to $175 per night, rather than a boarding fee, plus cost of required nursing services and meds - we decided to enroll our guy in Vet Insurance as recommended by our vet who had been through the same hoops as us. Vet Insurance does not cover Hip Dysplasia though which is why we did not sign up until our guy was 16 months old - but as we watched those long Eskie legs go down the street, I called from a phone booth and signed up. The devil of it is they would have covered my Dachshunds back surgery - who would have thought that, especially since Dysplasia isn't covered. At least they were in 2005 when I signed up our Eskie - not sure if they are now. My Eskie is a small standard - so vet is very hopeful that if he should develop a "walking related" problem that it would be Patellar Luxation or Cruciate Ligament - and since neither condition is pre-existing, meaning one leg hadn't been affected before sign-up, both would be covered should the worst happen. Frankly I can't believe he hasn't had to have some form of surgery. I am obviously really focused on dogs with issues with their backs and legs. So you just have to read through the fine print etc. and determine what will be best for you. If I still had a Dachshund (dogs of my life) I would save every bit of the lifetime maxiumum of $20,000 "just in case" - although in my case - having been through surgery twice with 2 Dachshunds, there doesn't seem to be any doubt. I know of someone else whose breed is very susceptible to pancreatitis and has had big medical bills for those - dog is quite young, so he is doing the same thing - as dog gets older - or if dog should break a leg or something - only then would he use the Vet Insurance. But $2,500 to set a leg would be a big cost - and blockage surgery is high - so I wouldn't just want the plan to cover $1,000 per year. I wonder how many times my Eskie would eat the cast - I think he would need a collar on his neck and butt.

TKW
May 5th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I keep looking at Pet Plan and it seems like a good plan. Does anyone have any experience with pet Plan? I have looked thru the posts and there is not an obvious "Yes we have Pet Plan and they're awseome" or "they're aweful"

It's down between Pet Plan and VPI

Yes, I have Petplan. However, I can only give them passing grade. I went with them b/c my dog, a lab, like many large breeds may need HD covereage down the road. They are not too bad with claims. Pays according to the agreement within days. However, if they pay over a certain threshold a year, they'd move the goal posts by increasing your co-insurance. We made $1,600 of claims the 1st year and they honour 80% of that after $100 deductible. Shortly after, the co-insurance becomes 50%. After we have no claim for 6 mo., they make the co-insurance 40%. It'd probably take another couple of years before we get the original coverage back. For that reason, I may switch to some other insurer if I found a better one.

TKW
May 5th, 2008, 03:29 PM
I just found this website. I hope it is of some help to you .....

http://www.pet-insurance-choice.com/pet-insurance-ratings.html

I just read through the section that covers Canada. One thing I noticed is at the bottom of every Petplan review, there's a link to get a Petplan quote. There's isn't one for the other insurer. My guest is either this site is ran by Petplan or at least sponsored. Therefore the reviews are weighted. I'd think not every reviews, especially the damaging ones, got posted there.

wdawson
May 5th, 2008, 06:25 PM
we use pet card for emergency vet bills......its provided through medi-card.
its a credit card,i find its better than the insurance,no monthly fees and i have $5000 available for any of my pets for anything they need...plus we put $100 a month in a bank account towards vet bills.

http://www.petcard.ca/

gaerwen
May 9th, 2008, 09:52 PM
VetInsurance is the cheapest/best deal... you get the most bang for your buck! They are quick to send your cheque too!! (5days)
Ours has paid for itself many times. The only time I think it isnt worth it, is if you are starting the insurance on a senior dog. Its something like $70/month and they dont cover any exsisting health issues... Our lab has so many that we are better off just paying for her visits ourselves. However, for our 3yr old and 6.5 yr old it has been a real $ saver!

gaerwen
May 9th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Forgot to mention, they cover $20,000 over the life of your pet, 80% of vet expenses, excluding shots/spay/neuter/hip dysplasia.
They get a tag, and I understood that if the animal get hurt and for some reason they end up at a vet without you, the vet can call and they will authorise $2000 in emergency care without your consent. Thats great if your pets ever escape.

SnowDancer
May 9th, 2008, 10:22 PM
gaerwen - hate to contradict you - BUT - VetInsurance pays 90%!! Had me worried there - thought they had changed the %age and not told me. Lots of companies love to do that - say that items previously covered are no longer - and such deletions were reflected in the revised Terms and Conditions - which were never received - and not even sent out prior to annual renewal (obviously this has happened to me with one of our better known utilities and one its plumbing program of which we were original members! I have to laugh though, when we signed up with VetInsurance, they covered claims up to $12,000 per lifetime of pet and they told me only 1 in 50,000 dogs ever spent the entire amount (obviously they had never met my 2 darling mini Dachshunds with their neck/back disc disease). Shortly after enrolment, it became $15,000 and then last year $20,000. While we still pay the rate for a 16 month old dog, premiums of course have increased. Just wish they would say it is to cover high admin costs - salaries etc. - since if only 1 in 50K dogs needed $12,000, well, what can I say!

gaerwen
May 10th, 2008, 10:30 AM
whoops, my mistake, haha!