Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Black Lab is poopuing small, hard turds

cherie36
May 1st, 2008, 06:27 AM
My 88 lbs Lab had a severe case of pancreatitis in December, 2007. She is on Prescription ID diet. For a few days last week we ran out of her food and fed her regular dry dog food. She has been on her ID food for the last 5 days. However, for about a week she has been moving small, hard turds. From what I read, this is not a symptom of pancreatitis which is diarrhea. She is not lethargic either. Any ideas?

pitgrrl
May 1st, 2008, 09:32 AM
What was the other kibble you fed?

Dr Lee
May 1st, 2008, 10:08 AM
I agree with you, small firm bowel movements as a solitary clinical sign are not consistent with pancreatitis. As Pitgrrl implied with the food question, it might be from the food. There could also be a few other thins to consider.

To get into this discussion a little more...

What makes stool hard? One of the colon's main jobs is to extract all consumed water and keep it in the body. If water supplies are down/drinking is down/heat or activity are up/etc..., not only does the urine become more concentrated by the kidneys (whose job is to keep the water in the blood) but the stool becomes harder and dry as the colon extracts more water.

What makes stool small? What goes in, must come out.:) If there is less food passing through to the colon then there will be less stool. What conditions create this? Less food eaten, use of a low residue food type, or food does not pass all the way to the colon (obstructions/vomiting/etc...)

Hope it helps.:pawprint:

cherie36
May 1st, 2008, 03:10 PM
I fed her Pedigree for adult. Thank you for your replies. I will keep an eye on her in the few days. She is not exibiting any symptoms of illness.