Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Grim day

badger
May 1st, 2008, 01:34 AM
This morning I took a friend's cat to be euthanized. She just couldn't handle being with him at the end. He was 17, had severe hyperthyroidism and other problems (deafness, chronic diarrhea, etc.); we never got into the possibility of further treatment, she felt it was his time.

OK, I thought, not my cat, no problem. Wrong! It was the first time I had seen him, a little bag of bones with a still-beautiful long orange coat and fat paws. Even though the waiting room was empty, we had to wait for the vet. Meanwhile, the vet's assistant tried to sell my friend's husband (who was with me) separate incineration and a fancy urn from another company. He listened politely (I probably wouldn't have :rolleyes:) and decided against it. Then the vet came and we took the cat in. The assistant refused to let me hold him on the table, which was the whole :censored: point. The vet said nothing. I ended up standing behind her with my hand on the cat, like a football player in a huddle. Happily, it went very quickly, but left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. And way sadder than I expected. I went out and told my friend (sitting in the car) that he had died peacefully and left to run some errands.

Walking home, I came across an impossibly thin, weak kitty, dark grey with haunted amber eyes. He could hardly function, but began to follow me. I knocked on a couple of doors; the people who answered said he was unknown to them, that he had been wandering around there for a couple of days (and they did nothing). So I brought him home and he must've had his head in the water bowl for about 20 minutes straight. Some milk he had drunk earlier came back up. It was clear he wasn't 'just' starving but seriously ill. Back to the vet. He said whatever it was - probably leukemia or one of the viruses - the prognosis was grim. Gums were dead white = anemia. They could put him on IVs and he would probably rally, but only temporarily. Feeling like the worst person on the planet, I decided to let him go. His blood pressure was so low they couldn't find a vein and had to shave his other leg and try again. I ended up handing him over to the assistant (a different one) because I was really at the end of my tether.

Someone loved this guy, he was declawed and neutered. Not old, not young (going by his teeth). I tried not to imagine him falling sick and then being tossed out or abandoned.

What a day, I would rather be hit by a truck than repeat it.

growler~GateKeeper
May 1st, 2008, 02:04 AM
awww Badger :cry2: :grouphug:

The 1st kitty :sad: it's so sad and likely the owners could've done more for him and :sad: wouldn't even be w/him at the end :rip: sweet :angel2: kitty :candle:

For the second kitty, the stray, it sounds like it was the right descision :cry2: :rip: sweet :angel2: stray :candle:

These 2 kitties thank you for being there for them when they needed you :grouphug:

shredy
May 1st, 2008, 03:58 AM
:grouphug::grouphug: I am so sorry for those two little angels, now they are running again at the bridge. And I'm sorry you are having a hard time with what happened today, but remember, you gave them a gift. You ended their suffering. You kept their best interests at heart, and you did everything you could to help a friend through a difficult time. Take care and do something good for yourself and your furry kids tomorrow. :grouphug:
:rip: Little kitties

Love4himies
May 1st, 2008, 07:23 AM
Oh badger, :grouphug:, what a horrible day for you. :cry:. You are an :angel: to have the strength to end the suffering of these cats. Bless you.

chico2
May 1st, 2008, 08:43 AM
Awww Badger:cry:how incredibly sad..
How very incensitive of the vet not allowing you to hold your friends cat:sad:
My old vet Hazel,allowed me to hold Sammy,Peppi and Cookie in my arms.
In sad moments like this it should be your choice,not the vets,the results are the same.
The last person the cat sees should be the one he/she loves IMO.
Thank you for giving the poor stray a peaceful passing,rather than one of pain and suffering in some alley.
You truly should have wings:angel2:you are wonderful:cat:
:rip::rip:little kitties

badger
May 1st, 2008, 09:01 AM
Oh well of course I forgive everyone who got in my way, although I could easily have clocked the assistant, who is the size of a twelve-year old :laughing:. Then the front desk guy, who is a true friend, tried to give me a free bag of food because he felt badly that I had to pay for putting the grey guy out of his misery. It wasn't the moment to tell him his food sucks but I managed to get away empty handed :laughing:.
Very heavy wings, Chico.

Jim Hall
May 1st, 2008, 09:35 AM
well i hope today is better and ynak you fpr being such a stand up person :thumbs up

ancientgirl
May 1st, 2008, 09:43 AM
I'm so sorry! What a terrible thing to go through twice in one day.

Your a true friend for wanting to be there for your friends cat, although I would have had a fit at not being allowed to hold the kitty. As you said, what was the point of you being there, you wanted to give him some comfort and you were not allowed.

And then that poor little innocent soul. I think you at least did him a huge kindness and took away some of his suffering.

happycats
May 1st, 2008, 10:09 AM
Oh Badger:sad::cry: What a grim day indeed.
I am so sorry , and your an:angel: for being there for both cats.

:rip: sweet little kitties, at least they now have eachother :candle:

krdahmer
May 1st, 2008, 10:42 AM
:cry: What an awful day. I am so sad for these cats, but at the same time so touched that you could not let them suffer alone. You are a true :angel:! :grouphug::grouphug:

:rip::cat::cat::pray:

14+kitties
May 1st, 2008, 12:24 PM
:grouphug: I hope your day is better today. Horrible to have to go through that once let alone twice in a day. Like others have said, you are a true :angel:

Frenchy
May 1st, 2008, 12:28 PM
omg , this was so nice of you , on both situation. But must had been hard on you , I know. :sad: :grouphug:

glasslass
May 1st, 2008, 01:39 PM
Badger, your heart is incredibly big to be there for these kitties! As for your friend, I'm really sad that at the very end, she wasn't there for him. And for the other unknown owner who could put out an elderly pet when it was sick, I have nothing but contempt. You stayed true to the one critical issue, you did what you had to do with only the best interests of the kitties in mind. I know this will haunt you for days, but thanks for being there.

want4rain
May 1st, 2008, 02:01 PM
*hugs hugs hugs*

:candle::candle:

-ash