Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! Incredible shedding puppy!!

crochetdiva
April 30th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Ok, so my daughter has a four month old female puppy. She is up to date with all her shots, and healthy. Here is the thing....she is like king midas, only with hair instead of gold. I have never seen a puppy shed like this. Both her parents were non-shedding breeds. I know this because I have the parents (a shihtzu and a bichon).

THe vet said that it was probably just losing its puppy coat and its winter coat at the same time. I am confused tho, because neither of her parents went through this.

Does anyone know what is going on?? Any advice on how to curb this mass shedding?
Oh, and yes my dogs are now fixed, and yes my daughter is going to get her pup spayed.

hazelrunpack
April 30th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I have eight dogs here, all of them big shedders. Brushing them everyday helps a lot, and daily vacuuming goes a long way to keeping the hairballs under control. :D Supplements to keep the dog's skin healthy may also help.

As with most other physical attributes, shedding is controlled largely by genes. Even 'non shedding' dogs shed to some extent. And when you mix genes from two different breeds, the results can be quite different than what you expect. :shrug: Likely, if Puppy is a shedder now, she'll be a shedder all her life. So I hope this is something your daughter can get used to! :fingerscr

deb12
May 1st, 2008, 08:33 AM
:D Supplements to keep the dog's skin healthy may also help.

I am with hazelrunpack, there are great products on the market that can help, being in nutrition myself Omega 3's can help and fatty acids, like salmom and other fresh water fish oils.

Good luck with the shedding....