Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Skin problems in Lhasa Apsos

jgirl
April 30th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I have a 3 yr. old male Lhasa Apso who seems to begin scratching himself quite a bit in the warmer months. I have taken him to the vet for this and each time he checked him he found little fluid filled pustules on his abdomen and indicated he had a staph infection and placed him on Cephalex for 2-3 weeks. We watched him after his round of antibiotics and within a week or two a couple of pustules appeared again. We had him on 3 rounds of antibiotics foe 3 seperate occurences of staph infections. Winter months went by with no problem and we are now seeing the pustules (2) on his abdomen again and again the vet says Cephalex. What can be causing this and is there anything I can do to get to the root of the problem rather than just treating his symptoms??:shrug:

SnowDancer
April 30th, 2008, 11:14 PM
You will most likely be referred to a dog dermatologist. We adopted a 7 year old Lhasa several years ago who was basically allergic to himself. He scratched constantly. He needed to get shots monthly - although they didn't help a heck of a lot. His ears were bad as well. Our dog was an extreme case though so I don't mean to scare you. But definitely skin allergies are a health concern with this breed. I felt sorry for our guy because he wanted so desperately to sit on our laps along with our mini Dachshunds, but he couldn't even handle the fabric - and no doubt detergent residue in our clothes. But we and the vets both noticed that if he occasionally had a small treat - even a crust of bread he was not as bad as when denied every "human" pleasure - didn't get as worked up. He had been a patient of our vet's for years until he was dumped at the clinic so they knew him well. Apparently because we worked around his allergies and included him as much as possible he was a totally different dog. It was hard though watching him watch us. I hope your pup can get some relief.

Dr Lee
May 1st, 2008, 10:57 AM
It is really great that you want to get to the bottom of the issue and not just treat the symptoms. I wish more pet owners had the same idea.

I agree with SnowDancer. A veterinary dermatologist would be the best. Allergies would be high on the list. From the history, environmental allergies (also called atopy) might be high on the list and other allergies like food allergies would be lower on the list. Some atopic dogs however do have concurrent food allergies which can make the atopic outbreaks more severe. Due to his age, conditions like hypothyroidism, Cushing's disease, liver disease, etc... would also be unlikely.

You can also talk to your veterinarian about empirical allergy treatments that can help such as Omega 3 fatty acids, benadryl or other antihistamines (hydroxyzine for example), special shampoos, topical steroid sprays, or oral medications like atopica (www.atopica.com). I would steer away from injectable steroids and even oral steroids whenever possible.

Good luck.:pawprint:

woleary456
May 6th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Have him allergy tested. It is simple to do any any progressive animal hospital will do it.