Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When does your Puppy/Dog get up?

deb12
April 30th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Okay here is the question I am sure every first time fur parent asks....

What time does your Puppy/Dog get up in the morning?

Do you still get lazy days to sleep in?

Chris21711
April 30th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Do you still get lazy days to sleep in you ask. Er No :D

hazelrunpack
April 30th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Puppies, of course, need to go out more frequently, so their sleeping schedules (and yours) are often controlled by bladder and bowel. Once they have that under control, they still have an irresistible urge to start their day at the crack of dawn.

However, we've learned that the older the dog(s) gets, the more likely that they'll be content to sleep in with mom and dad. For instance, we used to get up at 4:30...the dogs let us sleep to nearly 5 or 5:30 now...4 years later... :eek: :laughing:

But we have lots and two of them are younger. The older ones would just as soon sleep in till 7 or 7:30 if the younger ones would let them. :D If that's considered sleeping in, then yes, you'll eventually get your sleep-in lazy mornings back. And, of course, dogs are great fans of mid-day naps, so if you're tired from the early morning call to action, there are always snuggly snoozes to be had later in the day. :thumbs up

clm
April 30th, 2008, 12:46 PM
The boys get up when I do, so during the week, up at 4am, during the weekend, 5 - 5:30am.

Cindy

DoubleRR
April 30th, 2008, 02:31 PM
6:00 a.m. however, if I let them out and then give them breakfast, they will go back to bed and so can I on sleepin days. That only works for the over 2or 3 yr olds, though.

katherine93
April 30th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Wow! your guy's dogs get up that early? I must have some lazy puppers! haha possibly because they dont stop during the day, every minute i am home im outside with them hiking or something. My two dogs and my moms dog sleep in bed with me and get up at the same time as me and they sleep in until 10:30 - 11:00 on weekends but on weekdays they get up at 6 with me.

jealma
April 30th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Abby likes to have an early morning potty time, say 4:30 than when the hubby gets up, could be 6 or 7 depending on the day. Abby goes for another potty time. This time takes a little longer since she tends to get both jobs done on this trip. Once that is over and done with and her belly is all wet ( She is a shih tzu so if the grass is wet at all, her belly , paws and face are a lovely wet mess). She comes and bangs on the side of the bed with her paws. She can't jump up, God gave her short legs so her belly could get all wet in the grass. I pick her up,, she crawls on my neck, licks my face, chews my ears, pulls my hair and than goes back to sleep for another hour to and hour and 1/2. Than Abby and Mommy start their day happy and not so tired, say around 8:30 for the most part. Nice to see she is taking after me when it comes to the sleep in part. The jumping on my head chewing the ears and pulling my hair must come from someone else. :-)

Lise
April 30th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I don't think Molly sleeps!Tess gets up when I do and nell physically gets up when I do,mentally she clicks in around 8-9 am.I take them out when I get up around 5-5.30.Nell goes out with us but just stands there looking blank,she doesn't go to the bathroom until her next walk.

want4rain
April 30th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Mister is so lazy. i open his kennel religiously at 7:30 every single week day morning.

he doesnt actually flip right side up and get out until about 8-8:15.

-ashley

Tommysmom
April 30th, 2008, 05:33 PM
LOL... Tommy used to get up at 5 am every morning when he was a puppy. Now he sleeps as long as we'll let him! We get him up around 7am for a potty break, and then he runs back to bed before we're finished giving him fresh water. He doesn't wake up even when we leave for work! If we're home for the day he'll come downstairs somewhere between 11am and 1pm, the lazy beast:laughing:.

dmc123
April 30th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Ours usually sleep about the same time we do - week days we get up 7:30 or so. Occasionally one really "has to go" and will pounce on one of us to get up. After they are up, they all find a place to go back for morning naps LOL.

Diane

Spatx
April 30th, 2008, 07:51 PM
My older dog Lucky will wake up and bark to go outside at 6 am everyday. Thats the time my mother gets up for work usually, so he's set in that routine now. He goes to bed when he's sleepy, no real set bed-time for him.

Cody however will sleep in until I get up. So somedays with my messed up schedule he'll sleep until noon with me. :D He goes to bed when I do as well, so were always on the same schedule which is nice!

glasslass
April 30th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Corky is wide-eyed, bushy-tailed, ready to get up the moment I do - usually 5a. Den-Den likes to sleep in. He'll stay in bed snoozing after everyone's up. He's also the one who'll stand in the hallway barking at us and telling us it's time to go to bed - at 9p!. If someone will stay in bed with him, he's happy. But, about 9a he'll start letting hubby know it's time to go for a ride to Starbucks. He also loves to take a nap in the bed in the afternoon. Corky, on the other hand, is a little energizer doggie that keeps going and going and going.

deb12
May 1st, 2008, 09:29 AM
WOW :eek:

Everyone has very different times, it's all over the board.

Nova her self gets up at 5:30, and not with me, she gets me up (mind you she is still young).

I go to bed at Midnight to take her out before I start to sleep and once at 3:00 am to have a pee break......

I have the thing as jeamla, Nova is close to the ground and comes in wet and cold on her belly and we wake up the hubby with our little wet paws, but after two morning pee breaks and breakfast we pass out again.

I work from home so I stay up and watch her snore....:sleepy:

Anymore fun morning tails??????

pitgrrl
May 1st, 2008, 03:14 PM
Basil and Streets will sleep as late as 10am if I stay in bed, but typically we're all out of bed by 8am.

Usually, the minute I wake up, they get out of bed and start prancing around, jumping on my like bunnies on crack and whining to go out. If, however, it's gray and/or rainy out, they have to be dragged out from under the blankets and forced out the door. :laughing:

deb12
May 1st, 2008, 03:25 PM
Oh man, I love pitties for that, they are almost like teen age humans, too bad hubby wanted a small dog....

Love her still no matter what size...

Harley's_Mom
May 1st, 2008, 05:55 PM
Harley's content to stay in bed until we get up but even on weekends I have to get Tova up at 06:30 or her little bladder will burst. Hopefully we can train her to be a late sleeper once she's got better bladder control. :laughing:

potter
May 1st, 2008, 07:39 PM
Mine sleeps till 8+ and after feeding him, he'l go back to sleep till 10+ :sleepy: I must have a lazy pup :laughing: