Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please help. Vets don't know...Cat bloat??

Grace27
April 29th, 2008, 11:13 PM
I know I wrote alot but please read... My baby needs help!

Saturday night I noticed that when petted, and while purring, my cat started making hiccup-like sounds, she also burped a few times, threw up saliva and her stomach felt tight and sounded gassy.

She attempted to eat the next day, dry and wet food, but it brought back the symptoms and walked away from her bowl both times.

Monday I brought her to see a vet. They gave her x-rays to see if there were any obstructions, her osophagus, stomach and intestines were very bloated, they proceeded to remove the gas in her stomach.

I brought her back home that night, desperate for her to eat since she hadn't since Saturday, I fed her tuna and she ate about 1/8 of a can, which was atleast something. And when I started petting her, she purred and she was at it again with the hiccups and the burping.

Now today (Tuesday) she's back in the hospital. More x-rays showed that her stomach filled up with gas again. It is apparently similar to gastric bloating in dogs, but the 4 vets at this hospital have never seen this before in a cat and don't know what the cause is. The gas was removed once more today and also she received an enema. She will spend the night there so they can x-ray her again tomorow.

She is spayed, and otherwise perfectly healthy.

I've search for this everywhere online but I can't find any answers. Does anyone know????

HELP!

growler~GateKeeper
April 29th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I'm not a vet but since she was hiccupping right before the bloating it does sound like it could be Bloat. In this article http://www.healthypet.com/library_view.aspx?id=30 it mentions the valve @ the bottom of the stomach not closing properly as a potential cause of Bloat. It is also possible there is a tear in her diaphragm (the membrane that reacts when you hiccup) & that is the cause of the bloat.

I'm sorry to hear she is having this trouble but very glad she's being taken care of by the vets right now :thumbs up

:goodvibes: for finding the cause and welcome to pets.ca :)

Dr Lee
May 1st, 2008, 11:44 AM
I am sorry to hear about what your cat is going through.

While bloat / GDV is theoretically possible in anything with a stomach, I also have never seen it in a cat. (I have seen it in a Chihuahua and a few other non typical breeds, but not in a cat.) High levels of gas in the gastrointestinal tract can be from obstructive causes, inflammatory causes, infectious causes or can also be from any condition where the patient is swallowing air such as respiratory conditions, cardiac conditions, pain, excitement, etc...

It sounds like you have four veterinarians who are putting there heads together on this one. That is great.

Will they be running a barium study? That might be beneficial. :pawprint:

Love4himies
May 1st, 2008, 11:53 AM
grace27, I hope your kitty will be OK. Sorry I am no help but would like to send you well wishes.

Please keep us updated on your kitty.

Grace27
May 1st, 2008, 03:43 PM
Well it's day 4 at the hospital (Thursday) and I am hoping to pick her up tonite.

They did a barium study that showed nothing. And yesterday they finally performed surgery in the hopes to find an obstruction of any kind. Sadly, nothing was found. They have inserted a tube in her stomach to both help let the gas out and to feed her since she wasn't eating on her own, but I can't keep her like that forever.

This morning they told me I may be able to bring her home tonite. I will need to learn how to feed her with that tube.

I don't understand. This was so sudden. She never showed signs or symptoms of anykind until Saturday. And now I have to get used to idea that I'm probably losing her. I'm sure the vets will recommend running biopsies and such, I just don't think I want to put her through anymore of this. :sad::sad::sad:

So at this point I am hoping for a miracle... that it's one of those freak things and that the problem will just fix itself. I will bring her home, give her a fighting chance after what we've put her through, and once she is eating on her own again, do we remove the tube?? She will only get bloated again ...We will see...

Minoune
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g229/gigagirl27/li.jpg

dodecaphonie
May 1st, 2008, 04:14 PM
So sorry to hear about your little kitty...

I have no idea what it could be. I hope they find out and that she gets better soon and that she will be well enough to go back home today.
:goodvibes::grouphug::lovestruck:

Dr Lee
May 1st, 2008, 05:08 PM
And yesterday they finally performed surgery in the hopes to find an obstruction of any kind. I'm sure the vets will recommend running biopsies

What surgery did they do? An exploratory surgery? If so, they usually will obtain the biopsies at that time since the samples are easy to obtain at that time. Or was the surgery just to place the tube?

Any unusual blood level changes? :pawprint:

Grace27
May 2nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
I finally was able to bring Minoune home last night. We have to feed her through a tube every four hours, increasing the amounts of fluids over a period of time. Which is obviously not easy to do on a cat that has been through so much already. She is also on antibiotics.
Her behavior has been really sad, exausted, and she can't seem to find a comfortable position which is understandable having stiches on her stomach a tube running through her and bandage around her neck.

She was making wheezy/whiny noises all night as she tried to rest. We almost gave up this morning, she started purring and you could tell she was really struggling with her breathing, because when she purrs is when she seems to let all that air in her stomach that won't come out.
The look in her eyes was telling us to let her go, that it is just not worth all this pain ....After agonizing over it for a week now, me and my husband decided to bring her back to the hospital to have her euthanized.

Once at the hospital the Vet suggested to keep trying just a few more days since we've come this far, to get her strenght back and to see if the antibiotics will help her bloat problem. (We still don't know what the diagnose is.) So we are giving it one last try....:sad:

The tube is helping keeping the gas down between feedings. The feedings take about 45 minutes for 30 cc of food + 10 cc water. We have to do it really slow or she will vomit.

What surgery did they do? An exploratory surgery? If so, they usually will obtain the biopsies at that time since the samples are easy to obtain at that time. Or was the surgery just to place the tube?

Any unusual blood level changes? :pawprint:

Yes, it was an exploratory surgery, but at this point, unfortunately, I was running out of funds, and had to choose the option we thought would be our best bet, in finding the problem. Exploratory surgery seemed to be the obvious choice. (they found no obstructions) They also suggested doing an ultrasound before hand but I just could not afford it.

I have faith in her Doctors, she couldn't be in better hands. I know they are doing everything they can and they are just as frustrated as I am.

She is at the hospital for a little while today, she will be back with us later.

Sigh..what a rollercoaster ride. This is definately the bravest little cat I know.

If anyone knows ANYTHING about her condition please share your thoughts.

sugarcatmom
May 2nd, 2008, 12:32 PM
Aww, poor Minoune, and poor you for having to go through this with her. I don't have any experience with her mysterious bloating condition, but I do have lots of experience with tube feeding, so if you need any advice on that, let me know. Hopefully with a few good meals in her, she'll start to rally for you. Hang in there, cats have amazing abilities to bounce back from some pretty serious stuff. :grouphug:

RUSTYcat
May 3rd, 2008, 11:46 AM
Just a couple of questions.....

You haven't said anything at all about bowel movements.......what, if anything is going on there? Is there any diarrhea?

Also, are/were you giving Minoune any kind of supplements/tonics/etc?

What were her regular, ordinary meal foods?

What "extras" (treats/other) was she eating?

Grace27
May 3rd, 2008, 08:42 PM
Just a couple of questions.....

You haven't said anything at all about bowel movements.......what, if anything is going on there? Is there any diarrhea?

Also, are/were you giving Minoune any kind of supplements/tonics/etc?

What were her regular, ordinary meal foods?

What "extras" (treats/other) was she eating?

Yes, she has diarrhea now that we are feeding her. When the symptoms had started she stopped eating. Monday she ate a bit of tuna which made it's way to her colon (x-ray). Then she received an enema.

What she is consuming now;
CliniCare Liquid Diet, Metronidazole Suspension (antibiotics for GI), Metoclopramide Syrup (to prevent regurgitation), and Simethicone (infant gas relief drops)

What I normally fed her;
Purina Cat Chow, Fancy Feast or Friskies (wet)
The very occasional Pounce treat.

As far as "table food" she is not really into that. She is also not the kind to eat food just because it's there. I fed her once in the morning, once at night. She is a healthy 6.5 pound cat.

UPDATE:
We are still feeding her every four hours. The only change in her is that she is using the litter box and farting while pooping diarrhea. Which I am excited about. Her stomach does not feel as bloated as it has been. :fingerscr

She mostly sleeps all day.

sugarcatmom
May 3rd, 2008, 09:08 PM
The only change in her is that she is using the litter box and farting while pooping diarrhea. Which I am excited about. Her stomach does not feel as bloated as it has been. :fingerscr

Yay for farting!!!! Here's hoping she continues to "pass the gas" and make a full recovery. She's been through quite a bit, so her sleepiness is certainly understandable. Just keep her warm and comfy and quiet and surrounded by love.

want4rain
May 4th, 2008, 07:42 PM
oh you poor souls!!!! what a difficult time for you guys. you will unquestionably know when the time is right, she will let you know.

i dont have any advice other than that. just some emotional support.

-ash

Grace27
May 5th, 2008, 10:32 AM
She's very week. All she does is sleep. I try to lift her up to get the food flowing into her body, standind is a struggle. She only gets up to use the litter box. She's tried to purr a couple times but I think it must hurt her because she stops almost immediately.

It is so painful to see her this way.

She has been regurgating every second meal we've fed her for the last 30 hours. Still too much gas build up.

So we've dropped the dose from 30ccs to 25, then to 10 (but feedings closer together).

I don't see any improvements. I have about one ounce of hope left in me that the vet will tell me today the antibiotic is doing its job.

hazelrunpack
May 5th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Good luck at the vet today, Grace27 :grouphug:

:goodvibes:

Jim Hall
May 5th, 2008, 11:37 AM
i give buddah a good meal and a belly rub for ya

Dr Lee
May 5th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Wishing you both the best.:pray:

rainbow
May 5th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Sending lots of good luck your way. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

Grace27
May 7th, 2008, 12:29 AM
I had my baby girl euthanized yesterday. Words cannot explain how much my heart hurts. I miss her so much. The gas was still present in her little
belly, I couldn't bare to see her so sad anymore. I didn't know what else to do.
It was the most difficult decision I've ever made in my life. I brought her home, held her in my arms and wished I never had to let go.
She is now burried in our flower bed and will forever be missed.

Is it normal that I feel so guilty???? Does the pain ever go away???????
I just didn't know what to do anymore.

She was the sweetest, most gentle loving cat and I am so thankful she was part of my life for 9 wonderful years.

God I miss her.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and words of encouragement.
Thank you rusty cat

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g229/gigagirl27/cats010.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g229/gigagirl27/cats014a.jpg

growler~GateKeeper
May 7th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Grace :2huggers: :grouphug:

I'm so sorry for your loss :sad: She was a beautiful kitty :lovestruck:

Take heart in knowing you made the right decision based on love for your little girl. She is now running pain & gas free @ the Rainbow Bridge (http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html) w/all the other kitties.

Guilt, yeah that's normal it happens to all of us everytime :grouphug:
The pain dulls to a constant ache but never really goes away, it does get better though - give yourself time to grieve, time to mourn, time to forgive yourself (No it is NOT your fault but I know it usually feels like it anyways), try to think only of the good times & not dwell on the last few days

:rip: Sweet :angel2: kitty :candle:
:grouphug:

dodecaphonie
May 7th, 2008, 12:44 AM
I am very sorry for you loss. She was a very beautifull little kitty. RIP little angel :rip::pray:

This must be very hard, but be assured that she knows you took this choice because you loved her and you did not want her to suffer any longer.

kisses

Love4himies
May 7th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Oh I am so sorry :cry:. You did what is best for your beautiful kitty, she is no longer suffering and you did everything you could.

Guilt is normal, I had it when I had my Snowball put down, he had cancer.

:grouphug:

:rip: Minoune

hazelrunpack
May 8th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I'm so sorry, Grace. :grouphug: Don't be hard on yourself. No guilt. You gave her the last gift of love--a peaceful passing and an end to her suffering. She knows she is loved and love makes the strongest bond. She'll wait for you...

:candle: Minoune

krdahmer
May 8th, 2008, 12:21 AM
:sad::grouphug::rip:

Grace27
May 8th, 2008, 12:54 AM
:grouphug:Thank you so much everyone for your kind words. It means alot to me right now and helps the healing process.:grouphug:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=52145

chico2
May 8th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Grace,I am so sorry:sad:
Reading all the posts,I was hoping for a better outcome,but please,no guilt..
You loved beautiful little Minoune and in your unselfih love for her,ended her suffering,there is nothing I would have done different for any of my cats.
:rip:beautiful little girl

14+kitties
May 8th, 2008, 08:00 AM
:grouphug: You did everything you possibly could to help your little girl. Don't feel guilty. A lot of people wouldn't go that far. The pain will ease. Take hope in knowing that Minoune is running and playing pain free at the Bridge now. :candle: :grouphug:

Jim Hall
May 8th, 2008, 09:40 AM
I am sure the pain will pass As sure sa I am that you will meet her again in another time and another place.

deb12
May 8th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Sending Minoune, hugs and kisses in heaven...:angel:

I am so sorry for your lose, she's a beautiful kitty, her pain is gone, but her memory will live on.....:grouphug:

rainbow
May 8th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I am very sorry to hear about Minoune. :sad: You did everything you could for her so please don't feel guilty. :grouphug: My deepest condolences for your loss. :grouphug: :candle: