Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A very sad day for our family

Rottielover
April 29th, 2008, 10:17 PM
:grouphug: I need this right now..

As everyone knows I brought Roxy home to be fostered as of March 10 this year. ! week after, I noticed multiple lumps on her. Rushed her to my vet and a biopsy was requested.
April 17th the biopsy was done. While she was away, I realized I can not part from the most perfect dog.
I told Cindy I wanted to adopt Roxy and make her my own.
Well today I called the vet and the results from the biopsy was done, she has mammary carcinoma. Otherwords she has Cancer.
I have been through this all day in my head, and my final decision was made when I spoke to my vet tonight.
She can not be put through the major surgery as she has multiple, as in 8 tumors. on both sides of her tummy. To do the surgery it would require her to be completely opened, and no guarantees, only that she would most likely have to be drained often.
I will not put her through this.
She will live the rest of her life as pain free as possible, and with all the love that we can spare.
I still am in shock/numb/teary/bawling/ I am a wreck.

Thank you all for all the love you guys have

hazelrunpack
April 29th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I'm so sorry, Rottielover. :grouphug: She's such a great gal. Cherish every moment you have together. :grouphug:

Frenchy
April 29th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I will not put her through this.

Like I told you , I wouldn't either :sad: Again , I'm so so sorry , this sucks so much :sad: Roxy is very lucky to have been picked up by you :grouphug:

Whenever you need to talk about this , you know where to find me :grouphug:

onster
April 29th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Im so so so very sorry rottielover :sad::grouphug::grouphug:

luckypenny
April 29th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I know this is such a sad time for you, but I want you to remember to celebrate the fact that you've found each other, ok? I'm so happy she's found a home with yours at this time in her life :grouphug: .

Rottielover
April 29th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Thank you very much guys, I am trying. I really am, mostly I think I am still in shock, even though I knew it was a possibility, I never thought I would hear it.

BillITPro
April 29th, 2008, 10:50 PM
My heart goes out to you and yours and my prayers for her to not suffer...Sorry

Bill

14+kitties
April 29th, 2008, 10:55 PM
So sorry Rottielover. Cherish the time you have left. :candle:

CyberKitten
April 29th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I just finished writing on the TJT "I mean, I essentially tell at least one family a week (often more) that a loved one has died but this is family. " so let me say how sorry I am!!!! It's a tough decision to have to make but given that there are 8 lumps and all that entails, it sounds like the right decision. Just think if all the wonderful times you and your beloved doggie have shared!!! And he will always be with you in spirit!! :grouphug::grouphug:

Rottielover
April 29th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I will .... And take many many pctures

diandpat
April 29th, 2008, 11:21 PM
This is really so sad...poor pooch, poor you and and everyone else that Roxy has touched :cry:

I don't blame you for letting it run its course. You never know how much life that beauty has left in her but thankfully whatever there is is going to be spent loved and cared for in a family....so much more than she had before you came into her life. :angel:

Lots of love, pictures and treats...create great memories and live in the moment :pray: :fingerscr

growler~GateKeeper
April 30th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Rottielover :grouphug: I'm sorry for the bad news :sad:

Love her up for as long as she has & try to keep a positive outlook (I know it's hard) while you are around her - she can sense when something is wrong & it will only make her condition worse

:grouphug:

clm
April 30th, 2008, 06:58 AM
That is just so sad. All you can do is enjoy her while you can. Thank goodness she gets to spend all the rest of her days with someone who loves and cares for her as much as you do.

Cindy

Boubou
April 30th, 2008, 07:47 AM
When you told me the news, I was truly shocked. I wanted to believe they were nothing more than cysts, but we needed to know...now we do.

You have to remember that Roxy doesn't know she has cancer. She's just happy living in the moment. And she could be with you a long time still. With cancer, we never know. Don't let this horrible disease take all the enjoyment you have with Roxy...she's here now and that's what's important. Enjoy her, love her and keep smiling when you look at her.....she still has alot of living to do!

Roxy is so lucky to have a family that truly loves her....she deserves it!!!:lovestruck:

Rottielover
April 30th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Oh believe me she has no clue what has mommy so sad. She started having bounce in her steps, finally playing with toys. These for her are milestones, and I appreciate all of them.
These dogs are lucky enough that they landed here.
Roxy I still believe she came to me for a reason, and I still thank my friend everyday who sent me her link.
I also Thank you to BouBou, you helped make her dream a reality

Love4himies
April 30th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Oh this has brought tears to my eyes, Rottielover, I was hoping for a new beginning for her with a long and happy life with you, Kayla, and Harley. :grouphug::cry:

cpietra16
April 30th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Oh Rottielover, What a shock to hear this news. Soak up all the love, Roxy...all the love that will be given...oh K, I'm so sorry that you have to go thru this:sad:

Jim Hall
April 30th, 2008, 09:46 AM

happycats
April 30th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I am so very sorry, :grouphug: Thank god she had you to love her and be with her.

:pray: go out to you Roxy and your family.

Chris21711
April 30th, 2008, 09:59 AM
:sad::grouphug:

ancientgirl
April 30th, 2008, 10:17 AM
I'm so very sorry for you and especially for Roxy. I'm happy she came into your life though. It was meant to be. She may not have been loved or cared for had she not found her way to you. I pray one day this disease will be eradicated once and for all and none of our loved ones, will ever have to suffer with it again.

Take every moment you can with her and live it to the fullest. :grouphug:

loopoo
April 30th, 2008, 12:29 PM
i am so very sorry about this news:grouphug: she is blessed to have you in her life enjoy every day you have with her as she will with you and your family

meg4050
April 30th, 2008, 12:54 PM
:sad: I'm so sorry Rottielover :grouphug: Just remember how much better her life has been these past months with you.

phoozles
April 30th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Poor Roxy .. :sad: :grouphug:
:goodvibes: that she will still have years of happiness with you and your family :candle:

pitgrrl
April 30th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

MOOSEDRY
April 30th, 2008, 01:37 PM
so sorry to hear your disheartening news. thank god roxie has you to see her thru this. she'll leave this world knowing she was loved.

tracy :candle:

mastifflover
April 30th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I am so sorry about Roxie. I am glad that she will live the rest of her life in a loving and caring home. I feel so bad for you I can only imagine the devestation you felt hearing that diagnosis. You and Roxie are in my thoughts, sending you positive vibes. You know we are all here for you to vent or talk or when you just need a shoulder to lean on. :grouphug: :sorry:

jealma
April 30th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I am so sorry. I can't even imagine how hard this is for you. Its good to have a place to share and you know that you have many friends here that are willing to give you a shoulder or an ear,, or a virtual hug when ever you need it or want it. I will keep you in my prayers, and I'm glad you will be givin this time to love and share with Roxie

duttypaws
April 30th, 2008, 04:57 PM
oh nooo im sorry to hear this :( just remember you were her angel :angel: who gave her a forever home for as long as she need it. :grouphug:

want4rain
April 30th, 2008, 05:11 PM
for all of the places she could spend her last months/weeks/days, your home and heart was the best place.

-ash

Longblades
April 30th, 2008, 05:15 PM
It's not fair, is it? But she is so lucky to have had you in her life. And you, her

chico2
April 30th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Longblades,you said it,it's not fair,this horrible disease hits Roxy,just as she has been given a second chance in a wonderful home:cry:
Rottilover,did the vets give you any kind of time-line??
I now she will live in doggy:cloud9:for the rest of her life,which I:pray:will be a long one.:grouphug::goodvibes:to beautiful Roxy and you.

Winston
April 30th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Rottielover! my heart goes out to you! but you know Roxy is probably only thinking one thing right now! Home Sweet Home! and I bet thats all that matters to her! (well Harley too!) ... you will be her forever Mommy and thats really special! Lots of hugs for you today!

Cindy

knickismommie
April 30th, 2008, 06:38 PM
sorry to hear about you doggie i almost lost my female dog i call her my baby the other night all i did was cry but she is fine now and i think that doggie heaven is a great place i will pray for you

dmc123
April 30th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I would also like to extend my sympathy :( She is lucky to be so loved....and you are lucky to have her love.

Best wishes during this tough time.

Diane

dodecaphonie
April 30th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I am so sorry to hear such a sad news. My heart goes out to you :grouphug:
I send kisses your way for your dog and all the family :lovestruck:

goldengal
April 30th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I too am so sorry to hear the sad news about Roxy.

Because of the 3 dogs in our house, I belong to quite a few boards, and this was posted on the Leonberger board recently with permission to cross post. It is worth reading and perhaps mentioning this to your vet re holistic treatment:

http://www.leonbergerhealth.com/Neoplasene%20and%20Cancer.htm

Take care.

Pat

glasslass
April 30th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I'm sorry to hear what's happening too. Words just don't seem adequate. I too believe she came to you at this time for a reason. God has placed her in the best possible place she can be and with you who will care for and love her as she truly deserves. :grouphug:

rainbow
April 30th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Roxy I still believe she came to me for a reason

You have said that many times and now I know why......she has found the best place to be happy, loved and enjoyed for whatever time she has left. Thank you for making this the most happiest time of her life. :grouphug:

Emmylou
May 1st, 2008, 07:44 PM
I am very sorry to hear about this sad news. I understand how you feel as my dog Willy most likely has cancer as well. We are just scheduling the proper tests now to determine it for sure.
I think that Roxy came to you for this very reason though. You will be able to give her all the comfort, love and support she will need during this time and all you can do is enjoy the time that you have left with her. I am very glad to hear that you chose not to put her through so much trauma and pain. It just doesn't seem worth it. I will keep you and Roxy in my thoughts. :pray:

TeriM
May 6th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I'm so very sorry to hear this Rottielover :sad:.

Hugs to you, Kayla, and the furries at this tough time :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:. I am so glad Roxy found you when she did and will enjoy a loving home for as long as life allows :pray:.