Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat will not poop in her litter box

Sonku
April 29th, 2008, 09:03 PM
My cat (god love her) will not poop in her litter box.

I have gone to the vet and everything seems o.k. there. My vet stated she probably felt pain when attempting to “go” before, so now she associates the litter box with pain. As a result, so I changed the litter box, added two more (so now I have three) and I've changed the litter type on several occasions. I've used the clay kind, the pebble kind, the environmentally friendly kind, nonetheless I have the same results.

She will always pee in the litter box (thank goodness), but guaranteed she will poop every time right beside all three litter boxes instead of going inside. I'm not sure what else to try or do.

Please help.

ancientgirl
April 29th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I don't know if this will work, I've never used it, but it's supposed to "attract" cats to the litter box.

Cat Attract litter (http://www.preciouscat.com/precious-attract-p-5.html)

badger
April 29th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Do you have other cats?
I don't know if this will work. Pick up her poo with a tissue and deposit it in the litterbox (don't cover it). Clean all the areas where she usually goes and then clean again with one of those products that get rid of the smell. Do it consistently for a couple of days.
Maybe you can switch on her little brain.
If her poo is in any way dry or smaller than normal, give her some pure pumpkin purée (not the pie filling) to loosen her up or try 1/2 teaspoon unflavoured Metamucil mixed into very wet food (canned with water added). Both are safe.

onster
April 29th, 2008, 10:00 PM
this is a long shot, but is it possible the boxes are too small??

My 2 cats have 3 boxes, one of them smaller than the others (but still large..the others are super jumbo) and the smaller one always has poop right next to it. I think somebody underestimates his big bum :o

:shrug:

badger
April 29th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I think somebody underestimates his big bum

:laughing::laughing::laughing: that too!

growler~GateKeeper
April 30th, 2008, 02:52 AM
If her poo is in any way dry or smaller than normal, give her some pure pumpkin purée (not the pie filling) to loosen her up

Or you can use 1/4 teaspoon Heinz organics or Earth organics pure Butternut Squash pureed baby food. I use this for my cat & have been told cats prefer the taste of squash to pumpkin. This helps to rebalance the water content of the bowels.

Another thing is Ground Flaxseed put a heaping teaspoon in a dish & mix in 1.5 teaspoons hot water, stir well, add a small amount ~ few milimeters deep from the tip of the teaspoon ~ a little less than 1/8 teaspoon, to her canned food. The ground Flaxseed will help to lubricate the poop so it doesn't hurt when it comes out. I also use this for my cat who had a couple of bouts of severe consipation until I used this combo in her food. Now she has no problems :)