Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

jumping at the door

snowflake1
April 29th, 2008, 12:06 PM
hi! I have a new dog that i got last week. when she is outside on her own, she is good for about 10mins then when she realizes that we are not with her she jumps at the door. I have tried to tell her no, ignores her. I don't let her in the house until she stops doing it cause I don't to reward that behavior. I know it has only been less then a week, but I don't want her to get into that habit and her hurt herself or break the door. any suggestion on how to make her stop?

badger
April 29th, 2008, 01:44 PM
If I had a dog who had only been with me for a week, I would be going out with her and staying, getting to know her, maybe working on a few commands. Is she a rescue? Maybe she's scared you're going to leave her by herself forever. I don't see any point in punishing her for such innocent behaviour.

snowflake1
April 29th, 2008, 01:53 PM
i have been outside with her everytime she is out there. I got her from the local humane society. but i want her to realise that i am not going to be out there everytime. I just want her to get use to that. I will be out there alot but sometimes I have to stuff around the house. i don't think the behavior is so innocence. she doesn't just gently jump at the door, she sometimes runs and jumps and i don't want her to hurt herself by breaking the glass.

Longblades
April 29th, 2008, 04:35 PM
It is nice if they will stay out for a bit on their own. Are you breaking her into it gradually? Just seconds at a time at first, working up sloooowwly to the ten minutes. It sounds like you have taken on an adult dog who has had other homes, or a home? If so, good for you. How old is she? Poor thing must be very perplexed about her change of home and owner. Maybe she is fearful of you leaving her too, as perhaps someone else did? I do agree, after only one week I think you should be with her all the time outside. Keep in mind that you may not achieve your goal. Some dogs just want to be with their people.

badger
April 29th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Wow, she throws herself against a glass door. I understand your anxiety then, sorry, didn't get the full picture. I agree with Longblades, she may have come from a bad situation. Did they tell you anything when you adopted her? It would give you a clue to her behaviour.

t.pettet
April 29th, 2008, 07:49 PM
She will need about 6 weeks to get used to her new home, you and routines. Frantic (jumping/hitting the door) is how you're describing her when she's alone outside, once she's had time to adjust she will settle down. In the meantime let her be with you as much as possible to lessen her fears and re-assure her. Living in a humane society has probably made her extra insecure.

snowflake1
May 1st, 2008, 10:49 AM
the humane society didn't say anything about it when I got her. I am gradually working on having her outside by herself. like i put her out there if I am making breakfast, stuff that only takes like 2 mins to do.
She is 8 months old. she has been in the humane soceity since she was a puppy ( a month old i think).
other than jumping at the door she is doing really go. she was by her self for 8hrs yesturday and all she did was chew on some paper. i having to work, i wish I could just stay home all day with my animals, but bills don't pay themselves. until they do. I quess I have to work. :(