Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lily Bulbs

Chris21711
April 29th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I was cleaning out the fridge yesterday :eek: and found some Lily bulbs that I had forgotten about that I bought at the Canada Blooms show back in March.
:confused:Is now a good time to plant them or should I wait and how deep should I plant them. Thanx :)

rainbow
April 29th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Supposedly the best time to plant them is the fall but I've planted them in the spring and they have done fine. You plant them 6-8 inches deep. :)

14+kitties
April 29th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Found some info for you Chris. Just remember lilies need good drainage. They can not stand in water or the bulbs will rot. Except, of course, water lilies. :rolleyes: I have always planted mine in the spring (May) and have never had problems.

How to Plant lily Bulb

How deep? . . . You don't have to worry too much about this . . . except for Madonna Lilies (L. candidum). These must have no more than one inch (2.5 cm) of settled soil over the tops of the bulbs. Cover the others with about 3-4 inches (7-10 cm) of soil for small bulbs and 4-6 inches (10-15cm) for larger ones.

Scoop out a hole of the proper depth. It should be a generous hole with room to spread out all the roots comfortably. If planting in groups of three or more, dig a hole large enough to accommodate the whole group. Bulbs should be 12 inches (30cm) apart for small ones . . . 18 inches (45cm) or more for large sizes. Work the soil in around the bulbs and the roots , leaving no air pockets. Just as soon after your bulbs are planted . . . WATER THEM! By watering your plantings you will make sure that good damp soil comes in contact with all the roots and starts them growing.

In the spring when the lily shoots emerge, they are very brittle and easily damaged, so it is wise to mark each bulb planted with a little stake . . . and a label for the whole group. Then you won't forget and step on them by mistake . . . or chop their heads off!

There was a time when we were cautioned to plant lilies only in the fall. Many people believe that fall is still the best time to put in bulbs. However, with newly perfected storage methods, lily bulbs may be carried through the winter in excellent condition and arrive for planting as crisp and turgid as if freshly dug, but plant early . . . as soon as the ground is workable.

Chris21711
April 30th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Thanks a lot, I'll post photos when they come up :) Breeze is educating me on how to post pics. I'm challenged :wall:

Chris21711
May 2nd, 2008, 10:53 AM
My girlfriend came to pick me up yesterday and she had separated some of her Lillies and brought me about 7 or 8 plants :). She lives in town in Newmarket, maybe near your Son 14+kitties. it's about 15 mins. South of us and these Lillies are about 4/5 inches tall already, mine in the garden with the exception of Tiger/Daylillies are just little nubbies peeking through. I know some are earlier than others but I was surprised at the difference.
Are Asiatic and Orientals the same?

14+kitties
May 2nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
Hope this helps Chris. If they are coming up that much I would think they are the Asiatic from what this article says. Mine are up in the garden about 3 inches.

Orientals or Asiatics
Oriental lilies (division 7) are often heralded as the "jewel" of the lilies. They bloom relatively late in the season, July through September, and have large (4-12"), fragrant flowers primarily in colors of pure white, crimson, white blotched with red, and pink. Flower shapes varies from bowl shaped, curving back, to flat faced. Their height, up to 72", makes them appear very regal.

The best known cultivars are Stargazer (red/white) and Casablanca (pure white), but other outstanding cultivars include Le Reve (pink), Acapulco (mauve), and Arena (white/yellow).

Asiatic lilies (Division 1) on the other hand are the flashy, impatient go-getters. They flower in spring from May through June. The individual flowers are usually smaller, 6-8", and usually not fragrant, but they make up for it with the bright colors of yellow, blood red, orange, rose, or peach. Many are frequently streaked or have spots or other markings. Well known cultivars are Monte Negro (blood red), Toscana (Pink), and Elite (Orange). If you are looking for a mental image explaining the differences between Oriental and Asiatic lilies, you can think of the Oriental lily as a soft vanilla ice cream, and the Asiatic lily a juicy fruit pop. If the Oriental lily is a Mercedes Benz, then the Asiatic lily is the Ferrari.

If you like larger, fragrant flowers, or wish to extend the flower season, try Orientals. If you instead like flowers which multiply prolifically, bloom early, and has bright powerful colors, then Asiatics may be for you. Or why not try both? Today many hybrid crosses are also being developed rapidly (combinations between trumpet, Asiatic, and oriental lilies). Most recently re-blooming lilies has been introduced... oh, boy... are we in for a treat? Choices are clearly not the limiting factor today.

Chris21711
May 2nd, 2008, 01:35 PM
Thanks 14+k these must be the Asiatics then. She bought 3 plants 4 summers ago and they have multiplied so much, she probably has about 50 of the suckers now and that's not including what she gave me. They are a vibrant read with a dark orange throat, just beautiful. I was in town last week at her place and was looking at them coming up, I kinda threw it at her 'you know you should separate those, otherwise they will choke, nudge nudge :rolleyes:' so when she came yesterday she brought me two pots. One fell over in her truck and got a bit crushed, she was worried it would falter, but I looked at them this morning and they were all standing up like little soldiers.

How is your Lantanas' doing, mine or doing fine, still nothing on the one that dropped its leaves,I think it's a goner :sad: