Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog submissive PEEing won't stop PLS HELP!!!

brown5484
April 29th, 2008, 11:29 AM
We got our puppy when she was just at 3 months. She was a very shy and timid dog and not very up front in your face like our 7 month old pup. Everytime we go to put a leash on her she submissive pees. She also does this whenever we call her to us she'll come up and pee, and when we offer treats to our two dogs she'll come over and pee when she sits by us. We don't want to raise our voice to her because we fear it will only make things worse, and we want to train her to stay, come, lay down etc. but she pees whenever a command is issued. Please help we are desperate and don't know what we can do.

Longblades
April 29th, 2008, 03:09 PM
How old is she now? How long have you had her? It can go on for over a year. Our Lab girl still had the occasional mishap at three years of age. Our rescue ESS was 4 when we got her but events in her previous life had been stressful and she urinated submissively for a year after we got her, but only with men.

If she is still a pup you have not had very long then calm, quiet, associations with you should help. I would not expect too much with training commands if they are frightening to her, first thing is to gain her trust. Not too much cuddling either as that may also frighten her. Let her come to you on her own. It can take some time.

There is always the possibility of a urinary tract problem that is causing her to lose control in even mildly stressful situations so perhaps a visit to the Vet would be in order. Does she show other signs of submissive behaviour such as lying down on her back and showing you her tummy? Cowering? Slinking? Ducking away from you? The appeasing grin? If not, then I would consider the Vet even more.

brown5484
April 29th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Well my wife and I have had her for almost two months now. She doesn't pee for my wife usually, there are ocassions but mostly when she's around me. She does slouch a bit right before she pees but not a cower, and right after she'll run and hide like she knows it was wrong. My wife and I are really lost at what to do. It's just very frustrating.

coppperbelle
April 29th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I had a foster pup last year that would pee submissively. The owners surrenered her to me because they couldn't handle it. The first few days were awful and he peed everywhere, everytime we so much as looked or talked to him. I decided to start ignoring him and it worked. I would only pet him when he approached me. I never called him to me or reached out to pet him. The rest of my family did the same and within days we saw a huge difference. It wasn't easy to ignore a cute puppy but he began gain confidence and knew that he wasn't going to be scolded if he did have an accident. I pulled up all the rugs and kept him in an area that was easy to keep clean.
Training to sit etc.. is important but I think you will have to handle one hurdle at a time. Once he gets over his submissive urinating then you can work on the other stuff. For now when trying to train him take him outdoors where it doesn't matter.

Hazmat
April 29th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I have no idea. I Have a little dog and he peed on me for almost two years. he has finally stopped.

the gang
April 29th, 2008, 09:58 PM
ok here goes, i hope jenn is listening, i addopted a dog from teddys, she is the sweetest dog!!!! her name is rosie she is a min pin x, she was scared big time !she use to pee all the time thinking we were mad, we have 4 min pins, but everytime i went to get her she would roll over on her self and pee i would cry, and say she was a good girl!!!! with some time and tlc she came around, and does not pee!!!! but i tell you this little girl has a story that i just do not know, lots of love and time lets hope the little one comes around for you good luck brenda and the pins.

Longblades
April 30th, 2008, 10:06 AM
You've only had her two months so she is five months old and she is still a baby. There is no telling what happened to her before you got her, perhaps someone scolded her for peeing. It's best to just not react at all. Don't scold and don't reward. Ignore the action and clean it up with solutions for dog training that are meant to remove the scent. Submissive urination is not a question of toilet training but at her age the two may well be confused so you have to very quiet and calm with her toilet as well. Perhaps your wife can do the enthusiastic "GOOD GIRL" when she toilets appropriately outside but I think it might frighten her if you do it. Of course you have to be diligent about getting her outside in time and may even have to revert to a younger puppy time schedule of every hour and a half or so for a while.

Try, try, try not to be frustrated. She can probably sense your displeasure and is frightened by it. She doesn't know it's wrong. She knows it displeases you (or someone before you) and is reacting to you, not her action. If you have to, she might need to be restricted to parts of the house that have easily cleaned floors for a while.