Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Drooling Shih Tzu

Chilver
April 29th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Has anyone experienced this . My friend is a groomer and she recently groomed two shih tzu's about l year old. She said they are constantly drooling like the large dogs do. Their faces are wet all the time and look messy. The owner wants the fur left long on the face but she said it looks awful. The owner says they drool like this all the time. She thought perhaps since it was the first time she groomed them they were a little nervous She has never seen this before and was wondering is this is normal for shih tzu's its a first for her.

jealma
April 29th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I have a shih tzu and I do not find that she drools at all. t does seem her face is wet all the time though. Between when she gets a drink of water, or goes outside and sniffs the ground in the mornings, (dew) making her face all wet, and the tears, (which I"m still fighting tear stain stuff). The one thing she doesn't do is drool. I comb her out myself and she's had her toe nails clipped, at the groomer,, but no drools.

joeysmama
April 29th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Cooper doesn't drool but Joey drooled terribly when he was frightened. Cooper is never frightened. He loves life and EVERYTHING about it. :thumbs up

But Joey was afraid of so many things, especially thunderstorms, or any loud noises. And then there would be a puddle of water under his mouth. But I can't imagine why these dogs would be drooling all the time. Thta's seems strange to me. I would ask the vet if they have a problem with salivary glands or something. Are they from the same litter?