Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poppy is a eating machine....

duttypaws
April 28th, 2008, 08:29 PM
ive discovered that poppy likes to eat ... a lot.... its got to the point shes eating all the wet food and most of the dry meaning I have to physically watch lola eat to make sure she is eating.... as she likes to go eat.. laze about and return to eat later on...

any ideas to stop poppy eating lolas share of the wet food??

ancientgirl
April 28th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Three of mine like to graze too. They all eat a bit, then go away and come back to munch. Maks will eat everyone's food if I let him, but what I've been doing is I give him a little more than the others. That way he gets pretty full and doesn't try to eat everyone else's food right then and there.

Maybe you can try feeding Lola in a different part of your home?

duttypaws
April 28th, 2008, 08:56 PM
lola doesnt seem to bothered its being eaten as she only grazes but i dont know if poppy will snap out the "eat or starve" mode she is in from being in a home....

i'll try feeding lola up on the counter as poppy doesnt jump up.

ancientgirl
April 28th, 2008, 09:04 PM
That might work. Oddly enough, I could do that with Maks too. He doesn't jump on the counter. I usually feed Vlad and Oksana on the counter, and Maks and Kiska on the floor. It's working so far because everyone gets to eat until they are satisfied, then they can graze during the day as they like.

I don't know if Poppy will grow out of it. I'm sure some of the others can give you an idea. They might have had a similar situation at some point. :D

growler~GateKeeper
April 28th, 2008, 11:37 PM
You could also try to get them on a meal fed schedule - the food is out for a specified time then taken up. However not all cats like to eat this way & some will then stop eating the wet. You should start this on a day/weekend when you'll be home to make sure they are actually eating enough for the designated meals. Most cats will learn to eat on schedule esp once they realise it won't be there all day for them.

For example my grrl is bugging me @ 4am for breakfast so I put down the breakfast meal portion she eats what she wants w/in 10 mins then I put it away, I offer her the rest usually around 8:30 while I get ready for work. Take up what she leaves. Then when I get home she gets her dinner meal portion repeat as with breakfast, only she usually asks alittle more often for repeats.

duttypaws
April 29th, 2008, 06:14 AM
well lola ate it all this morning and I put it on the counter... poppy ate hers and she got a little extra seems to have worked.

phoozles
April 29th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I've got a gobbler, and a used to be grazer..

Jake used to eat a bit and leave, but he realized pretty quickly that if he doesn't eat everything in one shot, Alley will snap up the rest.. I feed them 4 small feedings a day (two in the morning, one at around 7PM when I get home from work, and one around 10 PM).

I don't know that Poppy will grow out of it - I've had Alley since she was a baby in October, and she's still eating like she'll never see another meal. I now feed them both at the same time, but lock Alley up in another room until Jake finishes. Then I let Alley out - and she always races directly to Jake's bowl, even though it's empty :rolleyes:

The counter thing might work for a while (it did for me too), but Alley eventually got resourceful enough to learn how to get up there too. :shrug:

want4rain
April 29th, 2008, 12:37 PM
when Frances showed up she was a horrible gobbler!! she would literally hoark her food down and then take everyone elses. a regular feeding schedule and time is what pulled her out of that. now that she knows WHEN she is getting it she actually hangs back and waits for everyone else to get done eating if their meat is too crowded together.

we also use to ahve a problems with the boys who would eat all of their food and then take Baby Girls food (this is pre-Frances). she was just never that crazy about the dry or wet food. once we put them on a raw diet she eats a little more than her share.

-ashley

duttypaws
April 29th, 2008, 02:26 PM
well im giving them much less at a time... and feeding them at the same time...
lola is eating more than she used too possibly as the food isnt sitting out all day... so she is hungrier... :fingerscr

ancientgirl
April 29th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Sounds like you've got it figured out. Good luck!

duttypaws
April 29th, 2008, 02:54 PM
yeah i dont really like leaving lola hungry but she seems ok with eating in one go