Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Resource Guarding issues

Spatx
April 28th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I figured I'd ask here first for some starting help in a direction to go, as my 7 year old Aussie is guarding his toys from other dogs. I have two dogs, but he doesn't care if my other dog takes toys, but any other dog causes problems. I want to get this under control before it gets worse as I am hoping to adopt another dog in a few months.

Here's a scenario that happened recently: Was playing with my dog and a ball, other dog suddenly got interested and wanted to play too. When the dog went to get the toy, Cody showed his teeth and then they got into an argument, no one was hurt, but it sounded awful!

I need some advice on where to start at home. I've been practicing retrieving for an exchange of a treat and he does really well with that. However, he has no issues with people taking his toys, only other dogs. If anyone can point me in a direction for some help on where to start, that would be great. I have a trainer I will be talking to about it soon to get some more help, but I'd like to get some research done ahead of time. I tend to be one of those people who will read about things for hours on end beforehand :)