Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update from the Puppy Mill Show on Oprah Today

diandpat
April 28th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Just an FYI for the Western people that on today's Oprah she does a brief update resulting from her Puppy Mill Show which was the most watched show in last two years. Jill Rappaport from NBC does a report on a haven for special needs dogs. Of course, I cried but was very touched. It comes on around 25 minutes into today's show.

Frenchy
April 28th, 2008, 07:47 PM
What was the update on Oprah ?

Love4himies
April 29th, 2008, 06:52 AM
She updated some SPCA's increase in adoptions after that show. I just hope that these adoptions are the pet's forever homes and people didn't impulse adopt.

She also talked about a lady on Rhode Island (I think that is the state) who takes care of sick/special needs animals, what a special lady she is. Oprah announced she will be making a donation to this lady.

The good news, is that many people were educated about puppy mills and where pets that are sold in pet stores come from.

diandpat
April 29th, 2008, 06:58 AM
One of the other ripple effects of that show was that one shelter had 336 appts for spay/neuter. That is a fantastic message to get out. It was her most watched show in two years.

She also reiterated that she will never get another dog from anywhere else but a rescue, though she is still not ready for another one since Sophie died :sad:

It was only an update show from recent newsworthy shows so it was only about a 12-15 clip.

Ford Girl
May 1st, 2008, 03:13 PM
Here is a story from my local HS about how this show affected people, a letter sent from a volunteer to our coordinator:

I thought I'd share that Oprah's special on puppy mills and dog overpopulation directly led Dallas' adopters to the CHS.

I was in on Sunday when Miss Dallas, our friendly treeing walker coonhound, met her new sisterpup and family. I chatted with the gentleman of the adopting couple after they were approved for adoption. I was amazed how their current female red bone coonhound and Dallas made such a gorgeous pair (they are - beautiful each alone but really stunning when side by side!). The man was glowing with happiness and couldn't seem to believe how lucky they had been to find Dallas - he seemed almost in a happy state of shock. He and his wife had watched Oprah on Friday late afternoon, and then checked the CHS website and felt as if fate had directed them there: there was a dog of their favorite breed, looking for a home. The CHS was closed by the time they'd seen the website, so Saturday morning they called and were heartbroken to learn that Dallas was on hold. They called back when the hold was due to expire and sure enough, it was their lucky day and she was no longer on hold. They arrived first thing on Sunday with their daughter and pup, and their story seemed to have a pretty happy beginning as I was leaving on Sunday afternoon. I can only imagine that they'd have gone to a breeder or pet store for their next coonhound if they hadn't seen the television show and been led to check out a shelter dog instead.

I wasn't an Oprah fan before however I'm extremely happy that she used her immense popularity to educate her viewers and direct them to shelter dogs. I hope networks rerun that episode often!

diandpat
May 1st, 2008, 03:35 PM
What a great story and everybody wins...that's the best part.

Thanks for sharing!

chico2
May 1st, 2008, 04:11 PM
I never watch TV in the daytime,but I wish I had seen this show,I read about this particular show .
Oprah also lambasted Paris Hilton,for not neutering/spaying her 10 Chi's,all whom came from pet-stores..and are now having puppies.
Oprah should lead Paris by the hand and show her where her little Chi's came from:yell:
It's amazing what an impact a famous person like Oprah can have on the public,any regular Joe trying to do something about this is an"animal-activst"almost a 4-letter word in the eyes of the masses.