Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I need some advise please

pipoboolorambo
April 28th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Dear All:

I am not sure if my dog has a flu or not? He is a mix of a mini pinch, 5 years old, male, nutered, 35 pounds. He is very hyperactive and always willing to grab my food. He is not looking happy today and his nose is a bit sweaty. His usually running around and today he does not want to get of the couch. He looks like if he is in a bit of pain and does not want to eat his favorite piece of steak nor his vanilla icecream which is completely not him. At the moment, everyone in the household has the flu and I am wondering if he had pick up the flu and if I could give him a couple of baby tylenol drops. Overall, he is in very good health and was wondering if I could try home medication before I take him in to the doctor's office. I love him to death, but a trip to his vet will mean about $300 right now and I am not able to afford it at the moment. If inevitble, I will do it, but would like to see if anyone has any suggestions. I know is not good to give him medications without prescription, but maybe a baby pill can help ease the pain in the mean time.

Thank you:fingerscr:shrug::confused::pray:

Mari

Purpledomino
April 28th, 2008, 05:32 PM
First of all, do NOT give your dog Tylenol...baby or not, it can be toxic to dogs. I would not recommend medicating your dog until you at least speak to your veterinarian, there can be dire consequence to that. Your dog cannot pick up the flu from your family, and I would be concerned that something else is going on with him, and would advise you to keep a close eye on him and get a consult with your vet if he still isn't himself. If he is in pain like you suspect, I would take him for sure...

You know your dog better than anyone, and it sounds like he definately isn't feeling well. If he is off his food for a day it isn't a huge deal, he might have a little stomach upset. Be sure that he is drinking normally though, and that he is voiding and having normal bowel movements. Whatever is ailing him though isn't going to be fixed with human meds, and trying that could possibly hurt your dog more. If he doesn't feel better soon, take him to your vet....only he can diagnose and treat a potentially harmful condition. Better safe than sorry. I hope he feels himself soon. :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
April 28th, 2008, 05:52 PM
The fact that he doesn't want to move off the couch and is turning his nose up at steak (!) tells me that he's either in pain or very ill. Unfortunately, until you find out what the problem is, you won't know if there is a home remedy or not. I'm afraid your best bet is a vet visit.

:fingerscr that your little one is better soon!

hazelrunpack
April 28th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Just an afterthought, Mari. Your whole family has flu-like symptoms? Are you still running your furnace? Any chance it's malfunctioning? CO poisoning can mimic the flu--and that would also affect your dog--especially a smaller one. :shrug:

skooterlee
April 29th, 2008, 09:55 PM
A few years back my Chihuahua (now deceased 16 years old!) was doing the same thing. She had pancreatitis. (I am not saying this is what your dog has though) I would definitely bring your dog to the vet.