Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need some advise

pbpatti
April 27th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Hi Guys, well Sasha had 3 hour surgery on her stomach on this past thursday, she ate a wooden spoon head, the vets had to fill her stomach with saline and swish it so that the wood splinters would come to the surface. As they did not have an anesthiologist on duty they did an epidural. She is having trouble with stairs which I do not blame her but which is making it difficult to get her to go outside regularly as it hurts her to climb them. I have 3 stairs that she needs to go down in the house and then 2 stairs outside.

She seems to becoming constipated as a result, I have been feeding her several small meals of ground beef and rice with some pumpkin in it. Is there anything else I can give her to help her out, she also is not drinking as much as I would like to see her so I have added water to her meals.

Any help will be great, thanks and Sasha will forever be in your debt too:dog:

pbp

luckypenny
April 27th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Hi Patti.

The 3 stairs that Sasha has to go down, is that in order to get to the outside stairs or to get down from where she sleeps? If the latter, perhaps if you all moved down a floor to sleep for a few days until she's feeling better?

I'm not sure if I missed something but why are you feeding her ground beef and rice?

I've never had an epidural so I don't know if it would cause weekness in her legs after 3 days. It would probably be a good idea to call the vet in the morning to ask if this is normal.

Big :grouphug:s to both you and Sasha.

ETA: perhaps the painkillers are too strong and this is causing the weakness in her legs? Or perhaps she's still in a lot of pain?

pbpatti
April 27th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Hi Patti.

The 3 stairs that Sasha has to go down, is that in order to get to the outside stairs or to get down from where she sleeps? If the latter, perhaps if you all moved down a floor to sleep for a few days until she's feeling better?

I'm not sure if I missed something but why are you feeding her ground beef and rice?

I've never had an epidural so I don't know if it would cause weekness in her legs after 3 days. It would probably be a good idea to call the vet in the morning to ask if this is normal.

Big :grouphug:s to both you and Sasha.

ETA: perhaps the painkillers are too strong and this is causing the weakness in her legs? Or perhaps she's still in a lot of pain?

HI LP, she has to go down the stairs to go outside. I have a bed there for her and I have decided that I will try to keep her there so it is easier on her, only thing is she will be alone...:sad:I have a baby gate at the top of the stairs so if I need to keep her there I can.

the vet suggested because of her stomach surgery that beef and rice for a bit would be best for her to digest.

I am not sure about the weak legs did not think of that but come to think of it she does seem a bit wobbly..in oeder to do the epidural they shaved a 3 x 5 area on her back near her tail so that could be a bit painful still too. thanks pbp

luckypenny
April 27th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Perhaps if you cut back a bit on the rice? I suggest you overcook the rice as well (rather than 1 cup rice to 2 cups water, it can be 1 cup rice to 3 cups water).

Are you able to move a mattress near the stairs so she won't be alone :o ?

pbpatti
April 27th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Perhaps if you cut back a bit on the rice? I suggest you overcook the rice as well (rather than 1 cup rice to 2 cups water, it can be 1 cup rice to 3 cups water).

Are you able to move a mattress near the stairs so she won't be alone :o ?

I am going to start her on her own food with water tonight for her last feeding with this meal she will get her pain meds and antibiotics..wghich reminds me I need to feed her...brb.

not really but I could put a big blankie on the landing with her and the three of us could curl up..I mean who needs sleep:crazy::laughing:

hazelrunpack
April 27th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Aw, poor Sasha. Poor patti!

I don't have any suggestions--sounds like you're doing what you can--but for sure talk to the vet about the wobbliness. Likely it's just because the poor dear is sore from being cut open stem to stern. :grouphug: That's pretty major surgery!!! But if that's what it is, she'll be getting better every day. :thumbs up

rainbow
April 27th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Luckypenny has already given you excellent advice. The only other thing if you don't have a mattress to put on the floor to sleep beside her is that you could use the cushions from your couch.

I also agree to give your vet a call to let him know your concerns. Good luck. :grouphug: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

rainbow
April 27th, 2008, 09:47 PM
:lightbulb: You mentioned that you go camping lots ......do you have an air mattress or piece of foam that you can use on the floor? :D

hazelrunpack
April 27th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Oooo, and sleeping bags! One for you and Sasha, one for Sable! I'll be they'll both sleep like :angel:s all night if they're allowed to cuddle in with mom. :cloud9:

aslan
April 28th, 2008, 06:05 AM
patti if i understood the question properly your main concern is getting her down the stairs outside to do business. go get a couple of 2x6's cut them the length from the ground to the edge of the top step and wedge the end into the ground this will make a ramp for the poor baby less effort to go down aslong as it's not to steep,if it is steep, every few inches nail a small peice of wood to kinda build a stop for her feet. hope she's feeling better...

hazelrunpack
April 28th, 2008, 09:29 AM
How is she doing this morning, Patti? :fingerscr

pbpatti
April 28th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Hi, I took Sasha to the vet this am and her tummy is a bit swollen and bruised, mine would be too after all this...she is still having trouble getting up and down stairs, I had to kind of fool her to get her into the truck to go..a lady was walking by and I asked her if she would help me get Sash in the truck..as soon as Sasha saw her she got excited and jumped right on up in, poor baby was hurting. the vet gave us Metacam to give her, the emerg had us give her tramadol 80mg, ( I think this amount is too much) Sasha was just a zombie and no wonder she is/was a little wobbly. I think that Sasha will sleep lots over the next few days. She still has not pooped a lot I hope that the wet food I am going to give her will help this out, her little sis is being an angel (for now) and not bothering her too much. will report more later.

Thank you for your support and advise. pbp

pbpatti
April 28th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Aslan, the 3 stairs she needs to go down are in the house, they go from the kitchen to the landing, a small area with a wall too near by to give her ramps. I am trying to keep her down on the landing so she will not have to use the stairs. If she has trouble for longer then tomorrow I wil need to rig up something to get her in and out of the truck. Thanks