Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Puppy

ssbean
April 27th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Boy do I have questions, but for the sake of making things easier on all, I will post a different situation and question separate.

Gracie is my new 7wk puppy. She is a 3lb jack russell/poodle mix. Sorry no pics yet, I've been somewhat busy with her for the past week that she's been the member of our family. DH actually surprised me with her.

We live in an appartment, and she hates our bathroom. We can put her in the crate and she does ok, but put her in the bathroom and you would think she's dying. BTW, this is a potty training question/situation. We have stray cats roaming the neighborhood, so I am a bit hesitant to take her outdoors to do her business. Though, I must say, she does get to go outdoors often during play and when we are taking her somewhere. She does fine going potty. But, ultimately right now, we are having to paper/pad train her. I wanted to just pad train her since the pad absorbs the urine better, but she seems to have taken up with newspaper very well. So we have newspaper over the pads for now. We have a place in 3 rooms with paper. Is there a tray or something we can get to put it on. I really don't want the urine smell to leak through to the carpet and in turn stink up the apartment.

She's doing okay, but not perfect and I was wondering if anybody had tricks to get my little angel to be a little more perfect about her potty habits.

tenderfoot
April 27th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I know your intentions are good, but you are really teaching her to potty all over the apartment.

Pick a place (if you are set of teaching her to potty on pads) and stick to it. The bathroom would be ideal as it doesn't have carpet on the floor.

This is just like having a baby - you have to be vigilant in your awareness of her and be sure to take her to the spot at every opportunity. When you can't watch her then she should be in the crate. Otherwise she wanders and pees all over. Having said that, don't just abandon her to the crate either - having a puppy takes lots of awareness, responsibility and structure to help her get on a good path.

If you catch her in the act of soiling the wrong place then give a her a abrubt correction with your voice and take her straight to where you want her to potty and stay with her until she tries again and praise the her to the skies. This way she learns not to soil your home, but she can soil her spot.

Fundamentally you are teaching her not to soil your territory. You can teach her that soiling the pads is okay or better yet just teach her to go outside. I am not clear why the cats are an issue - are you afriad they would hurt her? She should be on a leash and you are near by so that really shouldn't be an issue. Disease is usually species specific so you aren't risking transference of illness.

ssbean
April 27th, 2008, 07:48 PM
It makes sense, about us teaching her to go all over the place. We like to keep her on a leash quite a bit when we are in the house, so we are aware of her and what she is doing. Yes, I am terrified of the cats harming her, despite her being on the leash and me right over her. Honestly I am somewhat afraid of cats that I do not know. Strange fear, I know. Also, we live in a relatively small apartment complex. The dumpster isn't too far from our apartment and at night we'll have a little raccoon visitor, and I am TERRIFIED of the raccoon for myself and her.

I talked to DH and we will be narrowing it down to one potty location, and we are going to be getting a pan or litter box to put the paper/pad in. I've grown up with dogs who were paper trained, and regardless of the flooring, I think it's nasty the way it seaps through the paper to the flooring. I think it would be a little cleaner to have a pan or litter box type thing to assist.

tenderfoot
April 27th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Great idea for the pan - keeps things tidy. I have a client whose dog rarely goes outside to potty and uses the box exclusively and things have gone just fine for years.

Not to worry about the cats or raccoons. It would be highly unusual for the cats to come after either of you. Yes, raccoons can be nasty but unless they are sick or cornered they should steer clear of you.

Try to relax. It is important for your pup to explore the world, try not to let him feel your insecurity - it does nothing for your confident leadership role. :)

MissDorsie
April 28th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Boy do I have questions, but for the sake of making things easier on all, I will post a different situation and question separate.

Gracie is my new 7wk puppy. She is a 3lb jack russell/poodle mix. Sorry no pics yet, I've been somewhat busy with her for the past week that she's been the member of our family. DH actually surprised me with her.

We live in an appartment, and she hates our bathroom. We can put her in the crate and she does ok, but put her in the bathroom and you would think she's dying. BTW, this is a potty training question/situation. We have stray cats roaming the neighborhood, so I am a bit hesitant to take her outdoors to do her business. Though, I must say, she does get to go outdoors often during play and when we are taking her somewhere. She does fine going potty. But, ultimately right now, we are having to paper/pad train her. I wanted to just pad train her since the pad absorbs the urine better, but she seems to have taken up with newspaper very well. So we have newspaper over the pads for now. We have a place in 3 rooms with paper. Is there a tray or something we can get to put it on. I really don't want the urine smell to leak through to the carpet and in turn stink up the apartment.

She's doing okay, but not perfect and I was wondering if anybody had tricks to get my little angel to be a little more perfect about her potty habits.

Tenderfoot is right. I can give a few tips as to the bathroom problem. When I first got my 8 week old Lab pup, she hated getting shut in the bathroom at night. I tried playing the radio, but it didn't work. Someone suggested putting a furry stuffed toy in there with her. I did and it worked like a charm. We never heard another peep out of her. You just have to experiment with different things to see what works best for your pup.