Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy has bloody nose

brown5484
April 27th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I have 2 huskies that are very well behaved. However when they start playing they are like most dogs and run wild chasing and teething on eachother. The older of the two girls is 8 months and the younger is only 4 1/2 months. Today while they were playing the younger puppy ran into the wall in the house full speed, and head first. She yelped and shook it off, and later when I was feeding them I noticed she had some small blood spots on her leg. After checking her thoroughly I noticed the blood around her right nostril and although it's not gushing or leaving pools of blood, there is enough to be visible and I can see it get on her fur when she licks herself. I cleaned what I could see with a Q-Tip and yet it still doesn't seem to stop. I've looked at all the forums about the nose cancer, but I'm gonna rule that out at the moment due to the head into wall issue. Just wondering if there's something I can do more to stop the cappilary bleeding or do I just need to let it stop itself?

dodecaphonie
April 27th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I would not know what to do...

In such cases I would call the emergency clinic. They always provide great advices over the phone and they help you judge of the situation. Of course if they judge it could be serious, I would bring them the animal for examination.

sorry that I can't help you more. Good luck and a kiss on the nose :thumbs up

Dr Lee
April 28th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I've looked at all the forums about the nose cancer, but I'm gonna rule that out at the moment due to the head into wall issue. Just wondering if there's something I can do more to stop the capillary bleeding or do I just need to let it stop itself?

You worry about your dogs like I do!:crazy: With the age and 'running into the wall' history, nasal cancer does not really show up on the differential list at this point.

Unfortunately for canine nose bleeds there is not a lot that can be done at home. In the hospital, often epinephrine can be sprayed into the nasal cavity to create vasoconstriction to help reduce bleeding. Assuming you do not have vasoconstrictors lying around your house, there are a couple of things that you can do. 1) Rest. Rest can help reduce the blood pressure and heart rate. By having a lower cardiac output, the persistence of continued bleeding is reduced. 2) Humidifier. A dry environment can inhibit the healing of the broken capillaries. Just how a sudden change to a dry environments can lead to nose bleeds in some people. 3) Monitor. Obviously if bleeding continues or other signs develop, a thorough evaluation by your veterinarian is advised. Good luck and hope all is well now.:pawprint: