- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


A leaky dog

April 27th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I got my Wheaten Terrier from a breeder when she was 8 weeks old. I noticed as soon as I brought her home that she was constantly dripping urine. I brought her to the vet and they treated her for a bladder infection. However, the dripping persisted. I brought her back to the vet and they referred me to a specialist. They did an ultrasound and an IVP and determined that she has an ectopic ureter. Basically, the tube that connects from her kidney to her bladder was not properly connected which caused the urine to pass over the bladder and drip out. She had surgery to restitch the ureter back into the bladder. Unfortunately, the dripping persisted. I took her to Tufts University and they scoped her and determined that a trough, or opening, had occurred on her ureter. They went in again and stitched up the trough. It has been two days post surgery and she is still dripping. Hopefully, once it heals she will be leak free. If your dog is constantly dripping it may be more than a bladder infection and could be the birth defect "Ectopic Ureter." I have spent thousands of dollars trying to help Lucy and she is worth every penny of it. She is now 7 months old.

April 27th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Welcome to, I hope that this is the last surgery your fuzzbutt will have to go through, :fingerscr, after you have posted a few posts we will be clamoring for photos:D pbp

April 27th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I"m so sorry you and your pup have had to go through all this, and I"m sure that like you say she is worth every penny, but I do think you should hold the breader somewhat responsible too. I too look forward to seeing lots of pictures of your little one and it really doesn't take that long till you can post the pictures. Welcome to a great format

April 27th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Last year I was contacted by someone who had a male golden with the same problem. He too had gone through surgery but with no success. His owners couldn't find a solution and decided that the best option for him was to surrender him to our rescue. I did some research and gave them some options, (doggy diapers), (medication) and in the end they decided to keep him. I hope the second surgery works for your pup and that the breeder helps you with some of the vet bills.