Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Supplementing a nursing cat.

chicago dogs
April 27th, 2008, 12:40 PM
My Pumkin kitty just had kittens friday, any ideas of what I can supplement her with in her diet, she is already getting thin from the babies nursing. We mix kitten chow in with her regular food,(she hates the kitten chow alone). We also but soft food that we give her twice a day. I mean she eats alot, but she is still getting thinner. I know this is normal but I just want to make sure she can kind of stay ahead of the game with her nutrition and weight. Any suggestions would be appreciated.:)

badger
April 27th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Pregnant cats lose weight after giving birth. However, their nutritional needs increase dramatically-energy needs can be 2 to 3 times their normal adult maintenance requirement, depending on litter size-in order to produce the milk supply that will support the growth and nourishment of their offspring. Adequate water intake is also important to help ensure sufficient milk volume.

To ensure the nursing cat is receiving enough nutrition feed a nutrient-dense diet such as kitten food. Without increasing the physical amount of food offered at a meal, increase the number of meals throughout the day. free-choice feed her, offering unlimited access to dry food throughout the day.

I'd give her the best quality canned kitten food you can afford (not fish) at least twice a day. An occasional spoonful of full fat cream wouldn't hurt either. If you have a little plain cooked chicken hanging around the house, give her some of that too.

sugarcatmom
April 27th, 2008, 01:59 PM
If you can find some canned Wellness Kitten (http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/cat_wellness_can_kitten.html), that would be much better than the Kitten Chow (which actually has pretty lousy ingredients like brewer's rice, corn gluten, and soy flour). Feed her as much as she wants, several times a day if possible.

chicago dogs
April 27th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I'd give her the best quality canned kitten food you can afford (not fish) at least twice a day. An occasional spoonful of full fat cream wouldn't hurt either. If you have a little plain cooked chicken hanging around the house, give her some of that too.

I will look for the Wellness at the Tractor Supply Store, that is all we have for quality food and surprisingly-there is a good selection. The kitten chow we bought was Friskies. Diamond brand has a formula for active cats and I thought about giving her that, I feed that in the cold winter months so they would have a little extra fat on them. We feed her "cafeteria style" meaning that she always has food in her dish.:o

kiara
April 27th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I don't know about a nursing mother's food needs. Sorry but i will be very blunt. Since this is your own pet and not a stray, why are you allowing her to get pregnant??? I suggest you visit your local ASPCA and see how many abandoned cats are euthanized each year because of people like you!!! I am a cat rescuer and every time we get a call about giving up kittens they get a lecture from me. This is a pro spay and neuter forum.

chicago dogs
April 27th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I don't know about a nursing mother's food needs. Sorry but i will be very blunt. Since this is your own pet and not a stray, why are you allowing her to get pregnant??? I suggest you visit your local ASPCA and see how many abandoned cats are euthanized each year because of people like you!!! I am a cat rescuer and every time we get a call about giving up kittens they get a lecture from me. This is a pro spay and neuter forum.

Excuse me as I have explained in earlier posts.....this cat WAS a stray, so I will be blunt also: how about not judging me until you have the whole story. Should I have taken the pregnant stray to the vet and had him abort the kittens? There is a vet in my town who does that. Get the whole story before you blast someone. I am well aware of the overpopulation of cats in the world. That is why I do neuter and spay my animals, I just didn't get the chance with this one, as she was not MINE, she is now but I said before-she was preg. already. I am not an animal breeder thank you very much.

ancientgirl
April 27th, 2008, 08:22 PM

Kiara, before you go and start accusing someone, you should take the time to read their previous posts. She clearly stated in another thread this is a stray cat, which she is helping and plans on continuing to help.

Love4himies
April 28th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Kitten wellness canned is an excellent food, but is very expensive to feed a nursing queen, it only comes in the tiny can size. My foster momma would eat at least 5 times a day, two cans per feeding so I ended up feeding her Felidae canned (Wellness you can get in the large cans too) supplemented with at least one raw feeding of human meat for extra protein. She did very well nursing 7 kittens.

Please do not feed her grocery store cat food, there is not enough meat protein for the kittens to flourish. If she came as a skinny stray, then her body is trying to replenish her as well as milk production.

I did keep Kitten Wellness kibble for her to munch on, but she didn't eat too much of that.

HIGH quality canned food is so important for adequate milk production. Kibble inhibits milk production in cats!

Do you have a digital kitchen scale to weigh the kittens. They should be weighed at least every 48 hours, gaining at least 10 grams per day (.35 oz).

Love4himies
April 28th, 2008, 06:30 AM
ooops forgot to ask: do you have any pictures of the litter to post, we love to look at pictures.:D

good luck.

MOOSEDRY
April 28th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Kiara, before you go and start accusing someone, you should take the time to read their previous posts. She clearly stated in another thread this is a stray cat, which she is helping and plans on continuing to help.

ancientgirl, my sentiments exactly. why don't judgemental people realize that all they will accomplish with rude comments and holier-than-thou attitudes is to drive people away. kiara - ever hear the saying: "judge not lest ye be judged"?

bless you, bless you, bless you, chicago dogs, for taking care of this stray mother and her babies. god will smile upon you for it! you are an angel! :angel2:

tracy :thumbs up

aslan
April 28th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Chicagodogs, glad to hear the babies are doing well, and ty for taking the mom in in her condition.

Ancient and moosedry, ty for expressing what i was thinking. God forbid people read the whole story before they spout off their uninformed venom.

chicago dogs
April 28th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Kitten wellness canned is an excellent food, but is very expensive to feed a nursing queen, it only comes in the tiny can size. My foster momma would eat at least 5 times a day, two cans per feeding so I ended up feeding her Felidae canned (Wellness you can get in the large cans too) supplemented with at least one raw feeding of human meat for extra protein. She did very well nursing 7 kittens.

Please do not feed her grocery store cat food, there is not enough meat protein for the kittens to flourish. If she came as a skinny stray, then her body is trying to replenish her as well as milk production.

I did keep Kitten Wellness kibble for her to munch on, but she didn't eat too much of that.

HIGH quality canned food is so important for adequate milk production. Kibble inhibits milk production in cats!

Do you have a digital kitchen scale to weigh the kittens. They should be weighed at least every 48 hours, gaining at least 10 grams per day (.35 oz).

Thanks that is great advice, I do have a kitchen scale and will get some good food at TSC!!