Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Will frozen veggie make their poo loose?

bluesunshine
April 26th, 2008, 10:11 PM
My 7-month-old golden retriever is on Orijen. Her poo has always been solid, easy to pick up. Recently I introduced frozen vegetable to her diet, brocli, cauliflower, green bean, carrots....Then her poo is getting loose, very loose, even hard to pick up. I have to "hose" it down always every time?

Anyone has any ideas? Thank you in advance.

luckypenny
April 26th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Broccoli and cauliflower could certainly cause loose stools. How much veggies are you feeding your pup? When you say frozen veggies, do you mean from a package from the grocery store?

Dogs can't digest whole vegetables. They must be juiced or steamed and blended. I'd recommend starting with only a tsp per meal.

Kinguni
April 27th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Definitely do not give her the broccoli and cauliflower. The rest should be fine. This week we started giving Shabbado a cup of vegetables with her dinner on the advice of our vet. We boil mixed frozen and the water goes in her dish too. She's had off and on loose stools as long as we've had her. We're also giving her Prozyme now and switching her to a lower protein grain free kibble (Wellness Core).

bluesunshine
April 27th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Broccoli and cauliflower could certainly cause loose stools. How much veggies are you feeding your pup? When you say frozen veggies, do you mean from a package from the grocery store?

Dogs can't digest whole vegetables. They must be juiced or steamed and blended. I'd recommend starting with only a tsp per meal.

Hi LUckypenny,
Yes, when I say frozen veggies, i mean a package frm the grocery store. And I didn't know that they would cause loose stool!

I don't feed her a lot, I put the forzen veggie in her Kong as snack and let her kill some time....From the book and the internet, I thought vegetable is fine wiht them....:sad:

bluesunshine
April 27th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Definitely do not give her the broccoli and cauliflower. The rest should be fine. This week we started giving Shabbado a cup of vegetables with her dinner on the advice of our vet. We boil mixed frozen and the water goes in her dish too. She's had off and on loose stools as long as we've had her. We're also giving her Prozyme now and switching her to a lower protein grain free kibble (Wellness Core).

Thank you Kinguni! I will stop feeding her frozen veggie for a couple of days and see what happens....:thumbs up

rainbow
April 27th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Hi LUckypenny,
Yes, when I say frozen veggies, i mean a package frm the grocery store. And I didn't know that they would cause loose stool!

I don't feed her a lot, I put the forzen veggie in her Kong as snack and let her kill some time....From the book and the internet, I thought vegetable is fine wiht them....:sad:

Are you putting frozen veggies direct from the bag into her Kong? Dogs lack the enzymes to break down the cellulose in raw veggies. Also a Kong full would be too many veggies.

I do give my dogs raw carrots as treats occasionally. They also get any leftover veggies from our supper that have been steamed and then I mash them before adding to their kibble to further help with the digestion process.

luckypenny
April 27th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Many different kinds of veggies usually are fine for dogs, but as Rainbow said, dogs can't break down and digest whole vegetables. Can you steam them a bit and mash them first? Do you have a juicer for raw veggies? (I got mine at the Salvation Army, new in the box for about 5$ if I remember correctly).

Here's some of what's suggested by Wendy Volhard and Kerry Brown in the book, Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog:

carrots
parsnips
leeks
celery
escarole/endive
pumpkin
sweet potatoes
squash
asparagus
collard greens (not if dog is on thyroid meds)
kale
green or yellow beans