Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Foradil aerolizer capsule

skooterlee
April 26th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I dropped a Foradil aerolizer capsule and can't find it. One of my dogs may have eaten it. Does anyone know what will happen and what I can do. Right now, I haven't any money for a vet. I don't know which dog got it, if they did. I have vacuumed the floor and searched for about an hour to find it. This medicine is an inhaler for my COPD. Thank you to anyone that may know what I can do.
Skooter

rainbow
April 26th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Please phone your vet or the Poison Control Centre in your area. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Dr Lee
April 26th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I agree with Rainbow, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Foradil is not a commonly used medication is dogs as it is less effective with canines since it is in powdered form. It is a beta2 agonist used for bronchodilation in people.

In dogs, beta2 agonist overdose can result in changes in heart rate and arrhythmias. In some medications, these could potentially be life threatnening.

There is a good chance that your vet will not be familiar with this medication. Here is a website and phone number to the ASPCA hotline. It will cost $60 but not only allows you to talk to the veterinarian on staff but also your veterinarian so they can provide a treatment and monitoring plan for your pet.

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc

Phone number is (888) 426-4435

Best of luck:pawprint:

skooterlee
April 26th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Thank you so much for your response. I am a disabled Veteran from the Viet Nam era. I am on a very limited income. I don't have money to take my dog to a emergancy vet. But it has been over three hours and all three dogs are okay. I have searched and searched for that pill (hard to see) but can't find it. My only hope it went down the AC vent.
Thank you both for your help.
Skooter Lee

skooterlee
April 27th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Update: I closed all three dogs in the bedroom last night. Then got up early this morning and moved everything in the living room and vacuumed. I remove the AC vent and took the indoor/outdoor vac and vacuumed that out too. Just in case it came apart, then when the AC came on, it would blow out the medicine in the air. I never did see it, but I don't know how it could escape the cleaning that I did. I even moved that heavy couch and vacuumed under it. All three of the dogs are fine this morning. One thing I have learned from this is when I have to load the inhaler, do it over the sink! Not at the computer. I could't call my vet because I didn't know IF one of the dogs got it or which one. But I would have as soon as one of them started acting strange...the least little bit. But they wore me out playing all night long. These little guys are my life, I would never forgive myself if something that I did, hurt them.
Thanks for all your advice, I wrote all the info down.
Have a great day everyone!
Skooter Lee

badger
April 27th, 2008, 09:51 AM
You're not rushing off without posting some pictures I hope. Board rules ;)

skooterlee
April 27th, 2008, 02:16 PM
http://i26.tinypic.com/2pos21u.jpg
Shashi-Lee

http://i29.tinypic.com/5be5oy.jpg
Jumpin' Jack Flash (JJ) because he is always jumping!

http://i26.tinypic.com/2i6fe5v.jpg
Collin John (my camera shy little boy)

chico2
April 27th, 2008, 04:00 PM
What little sweet-hearts:lovestruck:I am glad they are all ok:thumbs up

rainbow
April 28th, 2008, 01:59 AM
I am glad they are all fine. :thumbs up And, what cute little fuzzbutts they are. :lovestruck: :lovestruck: :lovestruck:

I also really love their names. :D

badger
April 28th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Adorable. Do they all sleep with you?

hazelrunpack
April 28th, 2008, 09:36 AM
That's quite a crew you have there. :lovestruck:

I'm glad none of them found your pill...:D...probably they just looked at each other while you were worrying, rolled their eyes and thought "Heck, we don't like pills...why would we pick one up off the floor?!" But they thought it was interesting watching you clean... :laughing:

skooterlee
April 29th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Of course they sleep with me! LOL!! They wouldn't have it any other way.

The thing is, they will eat the pill. I dropped an empty one and before I could get to it, Shashi ate it. But it was empty. This one is a full dose in it. I still haven't found it. But I only let the dogs out when I am here. When I have to go somewhere, I close them up in the bedroom. Seems to me that with all the "floor patrolling" they do, they would have found it by now. But none of them are showing any signs. Thanks, Skooter