Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Grooming a Standard Schnauzer

crazydays
April 26th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I am going to take the plunge and buy some grooming tools so I can groom Cagney-7yr Standard Schnauzer myself. I am looking for advice on the best clippers and size of blades I need to get. I am not a groomer but I have watched for years. I am considering a Oster ? turbo 5. I like Cagney to be
short for the summer. I don't really know what blade sizes I should buy.
If there are any groomers out there that could give some advice I would appreciate it!!

t.pettet
April 27th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I prefer the AGC clipper as it has a shape that reduces fatigue and is very comfortable. A #7F should do the body & face, a #10 for the private area. To instruct would take-up pages & pages so go to a grooming site for good basic instruction.

crazydays
April 27th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Thank you T pettet. I have been reading and have found that everyone seems to like Andis clippers. The blade size helps alot. The last groomer I went to used a # 5 blade. I found that it was not short enough. Is the # 7 shorter or longer than the # 5 ?? The clippers come with a size 10.

RaceLaguna
April 27th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Hi there!
Not only have I been a groomer for 20 years, BUT I own a Standard Schnauzer, lol!

I would definatley go with Andis clippers, I love them! They get used and abused by me every day. Go with something that has two speeds. Get clipper blade coolant, I use the Andis brand.

I have some folks that like their schnauzers really short and "sexy" as they call it, lol, and on these dogs I will use a #9 blade on the body. I use a #10 on the ears, cheeks and throat and generally a #7F on the top of the head. Most schnauzers get the #7F on their bodies, too. Unless your dog is very quiet and you have a steady hand, I would suggest ball tip scissors for trimming the eyebrows. One wrong move and the regular scissors are mighty close to those eyes!

I'm sure there are grooming charts as on the net so that you will know where to clipper and where to scissor.

Good luck! I love Standard Schnauzers! :thumbs up

mafiaprincess
April 27th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Crazy.. bigger the number shorter the fur will be. I use 10's on cocker faces, but I'm actually looking at a 15 when we return to the show ring to maximize the tan on Smudge's face.

crazydays
April 28th, 2008, 05:43 AM
RaceLaguna and Mafiaprincess-

Thanks for the info! Race-Standards are sexi for sure! Love my Cags and she is hot!!!! The Andis comes with a #10 blade. I will get a #7 and see what it does for me. Good tip on the scissors! I will have to get a pair.
I need to look up grooming charts--I watched Cagney get groomed every 2.5 months for 7 years...hopefully I will "get it".

Thanks Mafiaprincess! I also have a Springer pup so your suggestion is great.
I am not going to groom Rio but in between groomings she grows whiskers...she looks like a walrus! Because she just got professionally groomed and I am here talking about her, I have to post this photo that my breeder emailed me after she was groomed last!! Yes I am proud!! Yes I am bragging!! Thanx for listening!

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb53/craazydays/RioTheShowgirl.jpg

RaceLaguna
April 28th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Hi again,
I would get a #7F not a #7...the "F" stands for "finish" this blade is safer to use than a regular #7. It also gives a smoother finish! Good luck! :)

mafiaprincess
April 28th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Rio is gorgeous hun. Do you show Rio youself?

crazydays
April 28th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Thanks again- I just placed my order through renspets.com for
a Andis AGC 2 speed clippers, Andis ceramic edge clipper blade 7F and Andis cool care. Your advice was very helpful.

RaceLaguna- I was very fortunate to get Rio considering I didn't want to breed or show her. She was spade at 5 months. She could have been a showgirl for sure. I have no experience with dog shows and what you have to do to place a dog in one. My breeder offered to pay to have her shown but, I didn't think holding off spaying her was good for her health. I must say it really would have been interesting. Maybe one day I will try it.

RaceLaguna
April 28th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Rio is definately a gorgeous Springer!! I groomed two of them today, both liver and white, and neither as typey as Rio! :)
I bet your Standard Schnauzer and your Springer are a good match as far as energy level and compatability. Best of luck grooming Cagney..I personally think the schnauzer cut is one of the easiest to do..you should have no problem! ;)

crazydays
April 29th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Hey Race...thanx. Cagney (Cags) and Rio are the best of friends. Rio is so
friendly and easy going. As a pup she used to sit on Cags all the time. Cagney would look at us like "help" like "this pup is crazy". Most of the time she would get up and give Rio her spot. Now they spoon each other on the bed! They are extremely well matched for energy. At the dog park Rio just runs..runs everywhere. The people in the park just laugh at her. Cags is focused almost in a herding mode..very athletic for sure. Rio draws attn to herself by her speed and agility. It isn't abnormal for her to have 15 dogs in pursuit of her and she still deeks them out.

Thanks for your info. I will try my best grooming Cagney...I am sure it will take some cuts to get better at it.

I would love to see some photos of your Standard Schnauzer!! I would also love to hear about him/her.