Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My .02

LavenderRott
June 26th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Ok, seems to me like people are getting a little upset because they don't like the "tone" of advice they are getting. My PM box is about empty, so you newbies can feel free to drop me a private note to call me whatever you want to.

This is the way it is.

Don't get an animal if you have no idea what you are getting into. Unless you are getting a farm animal, it should be kept indoors. It will need to go to the vet when it is sick or in pain. It will need to be trained to behave while living indoors, unless it is a fish or some type of reptile.

Don't breed an animal if you have no idea what you are getting into. Simple things like gestation periods, genetics diseases, tails -docked or not docked, are all things that you should know about before you introduce your in heat female to a male.

If you come here looking for advice, don't get mad if we give you advice contrary to what you WANTED to hear. If your way is working so good, then you don't need our advice, do you.

If you get said advice and don't bother to take it, then don't cry when your problem isn't solved or your dog bites you or someone else.

This is a computer. I don't have an e-cam and neither does anyone else on this forum. I can't read your mind and all the information I have to go on to give you advice is the information you gave me. If you only tell me half of the situation, then my advice may not work.

Get a grip. If you don't like the attitude of the hard working rescue people here, find a group you like and go there.

End of Vent.

Luba
June 26th, 2004, 11:43 PM
Hats off to ya, well said!!!

Lucky Rescue
June 26th, 2004, 11:47 PM
http://www.jp3d.net/yahoo/images/dont_steal_these_images2/35.gif http://www.jp3d.net/yahoo/images/dont_steal_these_images2/35.gif http://www.jp3d.net/yahoo/images/dont_steal_these_images2/35.gif

AM04
June 27th, 2004, 12:28 AM
way to go!

trescanis
June 27th, 2004, 03:46 AM
CLICK HERE (http://www.ilovewavs.com/Effects/People/Clapping.wav) (hope you all can hear this)

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4d806b3127cceb15987e537500000001610

I haven't contributed much to the "conversations" with the unsaid person/s, but I've watched and read the past couple of months....y'all have a helluva lot more patience than I!

Wonderful post LavenderRott. Well said.

Here's hoping everyone has a fantastically "paaaaawfect" Sunday!

Trescanis. :)

chico2
June 27th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Here,Here...LR :D :eek: :eek:

Lucky Rescue
June 27th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Don't know if anyone welcomed you to the board Trescanis, so ...Welcome.:)

Your posts are very helpful and sensible. Are you a trainer?

Poppy
June 27th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Am I allowed to agree with and applaud you even though I just joined yesterday (but have been lurking for awhile)?

Bill & Bob
June 27th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Don't forget, this is a public forum. You can agree or disagree or agree to disagree. That's the great thing about this scene. It's a sharing of ideas and experiences, not an exclusive club. The negative issues arise when people don't think before they post, or don't make any effort to adhere to internet etiquette. There are alot of very dedicated animal lovers on this board and all I can say is that I've only owned a dog for six months now and I've learned more from the people on here than I ever did from any of the countless books I've read. It's also nice to see the concern and appreciation shown for others pets on here when nobody has even met the owners or the other pets themselves. I am not able to post on here as much these days due to work schedules, but I certainly continue to check it out at least once every few days.

Spoiled
June 27th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Well said LavR. Great post. :D

Lucky Rescue
June 27th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Welcome Poppy! Can you start a new thread and tell us about your pets?:)

Luba
June 27th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Welcome Poppy and Trescanis

Karin
June 27th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Ok, seems to me like people are getting a little upset because they don't like the "tone" of advice they are getting. My PM box is about empty, so you newbies can feel free to drop me a private note to call me whatever you want to.

This is the way it is.

Don't get an animal if you have no idea what you are getting into. Unless you are getting a farm animal, it should be kept indoors. It will need to go to the vet when it is sick or in pain. It will need to be trained to behave while living indoors, unless it is a fish or some type of reptile.

Don't breed an animal if you have no idea what you are getting into. Simple things like gestation periods, genetics diseases, tails -docked or not docked, are all things that you should know about before you introduce your in heat female to a male.

If you come here looking for advice, don't get mad if we give you advice contrary to what you WANTED to hear. If your way is working so good, then you don't need our advice, do you.

If you get said advice and don't bother to take it, then don't cry when your problem isn't solved or your dog bites you or someone else.

This is a computer. I don't have an e-cam and neither does anyone else on this forum. I can't read your mind and all the information I have to go on to give you advice is the information you gave me. If you only tell me half of the situation, then my advice may not work.

Get a grip. If you don't like the attitude of the hard working rescue people here, find a group you like and go there.

End of Vent.

Ya know, yer goin' to hell fer that one ya know?

(JUST KIDDING!!)

You said it all. Covered everything I was thinking but had no time to type.
Kudo's and High Fives!

You guy's..meaning all on this board that gives so much, deserve better respect from all the ..newbies, ignorant pet owners who do not have a clue even if they bought one and down right abusive people which cannot get off of their computer chair long enough to see if their pet, (or child) is okay. I know school is out and kids are stealing time on the computer too and some reeeaallly need supervision....we are not babysitters!

*huff, feels better now*

Sick pet? Call your Vet.
Stupid question about pet? Do not have pet.

The majority of honest pet owners on this board are here because of their devotion and experience.

chico2
June 27th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Yes,welcome Trescanis and Poppy :D
Billy-Bob,those were some nice words you wrote and it's all true,there are some terrific people on here,including you :D

meowzart
June 27th, 2004, 04:42 PM
You guy's..meaning all on this board that gives so much, deserve better respect from all the ..newbies, ignorant pet owners who do not have a clue

Excuse me????

Karin
June 27th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Excuse me????

Do you have a problem with the "do not have a clue" part or does this pertain to you? Just wondering.....read it.

Poppy
June 27th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Maybe she has a "problem" with this part: "newbies, ignorant pet owners who do not have a clue . I don't think you meant all Newbies were ignorant pet owners, but maybe she did? Just fishing around here. BTW, I am a Newbie to the board and I think I have a clue..... :confused:

Luba
June 27th, 2004, 06:57 PM
I think it's just a matter of clarity... sometimes things are misinterpreted.

chico2
June 27th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Meowzart,this is not inclusive of all"newbies",but with questions like,My cat has not eaten for two weeks,is not peeing,what do I do????
Just one example of some of the irresponsible owners out there...or "my cat has an abcess,it just broke all over the house,what do I do,I am broke!"
You be the judge!! I don't think you fall into that category,we welcome all"newbies"especially the ones whom we know are caring pet-owners,we can all need support and answers to problems at one time or another,so the more the merrier :Dand that includes you too Poppy!

LavenderRott
June 27th, 2004, 07:10 PM
I did not mean for this to turn into a bash anyone free for all. I just want people to THINK about things before they post. And stop the whining! I have three kids home for the summer, trust me, there is plenty of whining going on in my house. Nobody mentioned any names for a reason, DON'T take everything so personally!

Karin
June 27th, 2004, 07:22 PM
To clarify...I welcome all newbies! Fresh people mean fresh ideas, we all need fresh input..( unless living under a rock, and there are some..)..Okay...I drifted again...I am sorry. I was new myself, excuse me, I still feel new here.
I was greeted with open arms to this board. My feathers have been ruffled a few times, I throw this off to being human. I was/is still stupid as to how things work as to the funtions of this board but answers are a question away. So should be simple questions about animal health, breeding & husbandry.
There is also a great deal of 1st time posters that obviuosly could not pass a SAT exam.

And trolls! Get a thick skin and fall in line...the more, the merrier. (Who said that?)

Welcome all....flame me now.

chico2
June 27th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Karin,apropos drifting,I do that a lot lately :D
You do have a great sense of humour,so keep drifting :p

Karin
June 27th, 2004, 08:09 PM
I will Chico. Thank you..

What was the question?

glasslass
June 28th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Oh Wow! Wow! Bow-Wow! ARF! ARF! :eek:
I wasn't on for the last day or so and look at what all I was missing!
All I can say is this -
I'm still fairly new myself on this board. The longer I'm on it, the more I see common threads and the more I understand and respect where the long-established members are coming from. It doesn't take long. Sometimes it's good to sit back, listen to all arguments, and understand what's really going on before jumping in to add to the fray. Pretty soon you'll find yourself also automatically knowing where a thread is leading and feel the anger and frustration. It's so sad that the same mentality and stupidity goes on and on and on and the poor animals are the ones who suffer. :(

babykitty
June 30th, 2004, 10:28 AM
I agree with you glassy! (hope its ok to call ya that?) I've only been a member of this board sine june 16th. I was very hesitant to say anything at first out of fear of getting a tongue lashing from a few people, but have since learned that most of their intentions are of the best nature especially after seeing a repeating trend of threads that are almost the same. There have actually been a few threads that I thought were jokes, but the person was serious, and my first reaction was to scream, YOU CAN'T POSSIBLY BE THIS STUPID, THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOUR FATHER'S YOUR UNCLE TOO. These are the same people that don't recognize the obvious like if there's smoke then there's fire, if it's raining its wet...

I have even been known to rant, and I'm not quite sure if I've gained that right yet, but as I always say.... What's the point of just getting your toes wet when you can just jump right in!

chico2
June 30th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Baykitty,you can rant all you want,I've been known to rant and to go,on and on and on........with looooong posts,but the people here are very forgiving,as long as you have something to say ;)

sammiec
June 30th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Excellent posts ladies and gentlemen!!! I've only been here since like May or June, but I think that most of the long time members have given excellent advice and put up with a lot of poop! Congrats, you deserve a pat on the back. :D One thing that I would like to add to the rant is that people need to read the friggin posts before after the first sentence they fly off the handle YELLING at everyone and everything. I have been guilty of this on occassion, but it makes for a much better argument when you're telling someone off and you've heard the whole post first.... rather then looking dumb :rolleyes: That's all I got!

glasslass
June 30th, 2004, 08:29 PM
I wonder if those people go to an emergency bulletin board (and register 1st to get on!) and ask what to do when their house is on fire. Do they then ignore the advise to call 911? :D

MBRA518
June 30th, 2004, 08:50 PM
I agree with you glassy! (hope its ok to call ya that?) I've only been a member of this board sine june 16th. I was very hesitant to say anything at first out of fear of getting a tongue lashing from a few people, but have since learned that most of their intentions are of the best nature especially after seeing a repeating trend of threads that are almost the same. There have actually been a few threads that I thought were jokes, but the person was serious, and my first reaction was to scream, YOU CAN'T POSSIBLY BE THIS STUPID, THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOUR FATHER'S YOUR UNCLE TOO. These are the same people that don't recognize the obvious like if there's smoke then there's fire, if it's raining its wet...

I have even been known to rant, and I'm not quite sure if I've gained that right yet, but as I always say.... What's the point of just getting your toes wet when you can just jump right in!

Well like it says in the OP if you don't give all the info the advice - and tounge lashing - may not be correct - but that's the trouble with the internet you can't get a person's tone and things sometimes get taken the wrong way when not enough info is provided.

But you are right, even with the tounge lashing (I've been quilty) the heart is in the right place, just sometimes the topic hits a cord and , well you just can't help but fly off the handle sometimes. And many people here do work rescue, so they have seen bad things and I suppose that can sour you to certain situations (outdoor animals) when you see so many horrible things. Sure there are bad and good and my way and yours, but bottom line is if the animals are not healthy and happy something is wrong. And if they are - you would be looking for advise ;)