Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

volkmann's contracture

pacemaker
April 26th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Hi, I just got of the telephone with a friend who lives in a country area, several weeks ago, he found his dog (a Beagle-Border cross) at the front of his property.
She had been hit by a car, a broken knee & hip being (same leg) the most serious of her injuries. After the operation to repair the legs, which meant pins & restructuring the joint, she was returned home, he was given mixed information by the vet, who advised that she should not move for up to 8 weeks & would need to be crated. He has now found out, since she is not weight bearing on the leg, that she has probably developed Volkmann's contracture, in other words, the leg has seized up, & would know most likely need to be amputated.
He is of course devastated, but is determined to give her the best possible outcome, but being in the country, he is many miles from doggie professionals
that could possible undertake the type of physio she needs. I am hoping that someone here may be able to help, from similar experience, or if you know a good website or publication? thanks in advance.

bendyfoot
April 28th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I'm afraid I don't have any experience with physio, but I do have experience with amputation and three-legged dogs. They recover very quickly from the surgery (like, within 2-3 weeks) and enjoy almost the same level of activity as prior to the amputation (most just tire a little more quickly). That bum leg is probably causing all kinds of discomfort...I imagine he'd be much more comfortable without it...hope everything turns out ok!

hazelrunpack
April 28th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Is your friend able to flex and extend the joints manually at all? Or has the leg totally seized up?