Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sasha and wooden spoon

pbpatti
April 25th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Well I have had a very busy day today. Sasha and Sable play so well together but I need to give them a time out occasionally, this morning was no exception, I have a baby gate from the kitchen to the rest of the house, sent Sasha out of the kitchen to take a break, as some of you know I have been doing reno's in my house and the kitchen is one of them, I have boxes etc stacked in my office/2nd bdrm, when I am not with the dogs I keep the doors closed, this morning I did not close the office door and Sasha got into and ate my wooden spoon, not the handle thank dog but the spoon head.

I had poured spome of her food into the bin and dropped a couple of kibbles, I heard her chomping away and thought she was cleaning them up, she was chomping a little longer then I thought she should be I mean I only dropped 3 or 8 kibbles should not take her but a moment to eat. when I came to see what she was into she had a piece of the spoon in her mouth I tried to go to her to take it out and like most doggies who have something they know they should not have she gobbled it down.

Then I found that she had eaten the whole darn thing, I called my vet asap and asked what should I do..they said to bring her in they will do x-rays...she was in surgery for 3 HOURS, scared the heck out of me, they had to open her up from jsut below her ribcage to her "peepeee" . They cleaned out some large pieces of wood and also splinters, checked out her intestines, tonight she is spending the night at the emerg clinic so they can keep an eye on her.

I am so glad that I caught her eating this, I hate to think what may have happened if I was not aware. I just called the clinic and they are going to be weaning her off of the pain meds over ight and hopefully I will be brining her home tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for the blessings that she will be ok....pbp:pray:

Dracko
April 25th, 2008, 11:01 PM
OMG! I just can't imagine if you hadn't known. You certainly would have delayed getting help thinking it wasn't anything important at first I'm sure.

I am so grateful Dracko doesn't eat things around the house. Does Sasha often eat things or is this an unexpected exception?

growler~GateKeeper
April 25th, 2008, 11:04 PM
ohhhh Patti :2huggers: :grouphug:

I'm very glad you caught her in the act & knew what she was into & could get her in right away.

:goodvibes::goodvibes: for Sasha's speedy recovery & :fingerscr she never eats what she shouldn't again

hazelrunpack
April 25th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Aaarrrgggghhhhh! :yell: Sasha, what were you thinking?!? Can't you see how you worry your mum?!

She and Brier would get along famously, patti. They both seem to have a thing about eating inedibles... :rolleyes:

:goodvibes: for a quick recovery now that the offending matter is removed! :grouphug:

And Sasha, repeat after hazel: I am not a termite! I am not a termite! I am not a termite!!!! (Yeah, doesn't work for Brier, either... :o)

pbpatti
April 25th, 2008, 11:11 PM
The funny thing is that Sasha has been treally good at now eating everything she sees, had to make a lier out of me..I will give her the message Hazel and remind her I Am Not a Termite...I"m just a Lab who likes to eat, anything,:wall: she will tell me..

pbpatti
April 25th, 2008, 11:14 PM
OMG! I just can't imagine if you hadn't known. You certainly would have delayed getting help thinking it wasn't anything important at first I'm sure.

I am so grateful Dracko doesn't eat things around the house. Does Sasha often eat things or is this an unexpected exception?

She may be doing this out of spite too, sure I will show you bring a cute young thing in the house and and this is what I will do to you:D, oh I am so glad I have vet insurance..first bill for surgery etc $4000. the emerg clinic overnight $500.00 - $700.00 ouch:sad:

rainbow
April 25th, 2008, 11:14 PM
OH NO.....poor Sasha. :grouphug: I hope she recovers without any problems. :fingerscr

What is it with labs and chewing wood? :frustrated: Hopefully, she will not be as bad as my boy was. :fingerscr

otter
April 25th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Oh no Sasha :eek: :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: for a speedy and perfect recovery.

Next time you need a bit more fibre in your diet, Molly recommends some bran flakes :D

Thank Dog for insurance! :thumbs up

pbpatti
April 26th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Both vets looking after Sasha today have labs:crazy:" you would not believe what I have taken out of ***'s stomach" one of the labs took apart an oak chair piece by piece:D, I guess it is the breed, some dogs a runaways and some are grazers:D

rainbow
April 26th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I guess it is the breed, some dogs a runaways and some are grazers:D

And, I have one of each. :o

growler~GateKeeper
April 26th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Next time you need a bit more fibre in your diet, Molly recommends some bran flakes :D

Thank Dog for insurance! :thumbs up

:laughing: Bran Flakes :thumbs up good idea Molly :cloud9:

Yes darn good thing you've got insurance :eek:

And, I have one of each. :o

:o and only 1 is a lab :laughing: :o

Frenchy
April 26th, 2008, 02:00 PM
omg Patti ! :eek: Sasha you bad bad girl :sad: I'm guessing she will stay at the vet until tomorrow ? Did she ever do something like this before or .... is it since Sable is home ?

Speedy recovery Sasha ! :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
April 26th, 2008, 02:21 PM
OMG how scary! Thank goodness you actually were there!

I hope she gets back to 100% soon!:pray:

hazelrunpack
April 26th, 2008, 10:58 PM
How's she doing this evening, patti?

pbpatti
April 27th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Hi, thank you for all of your concern over Sasha, I picked her up yesterday about 1pm from the emerg vet clinic, my Mom came with me so she could look after Sable while I got big baby. Poor Sasha, she is and will be doped up for a couple of days on pain inhibitors and antibiotics. Got her home and the poor thing is having a tough time with the stairs in the house. She is very resistant to coming up them but I do not blame her as she has such a big cut.

Sable did really well with her yesterday and last night pretty much leaving her alone to rest, this really shows off her personality in that she is calm and easygoing (hahaha). She is still a puppy though.

Sasha had a difficult night woke up about 1AM and needed to go outside, I think it took her 20 minutes just get up the nerve to go down the stairs. Sable slpet through this. So far today she seems to be doing ok got her morning meds and is sitting on the back porch waiting for the sun to shine on her.

She is a healthy dog and I expect her to be up and running again by late next week.

pbp

growler~GateKeeper
April 27th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Good to hear Sasha is home & doing okay :thumbs up

I suppose she is probably unsure of stairs in part due to the "dopey" feeling of being on the meds as well as the soreness of the incision site.

Good girl Sable for giving Sasha some quiet time :thumbs up

:goodvibes: for a speedy recovery Sasha

:grouphug:

14+kitties
April 27th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I am so glad Sasha is going to be ok. She is such a beautiful dog!! I hope she recoups well. :goodvibes:

Frenchy
April 27th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I'm glad Sasha is back home ! And what a good girl Sable is :thumbs up

rainbow
April 27th, 2008, 07:15 PM
That's great to hear that Sasha is back home.....hope she contines to recover well. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

And kudos to little Sable for leaving her alone. :thumbs up

shredy
April 27th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Patti, so sorry to hear about Sasha's mishap. I am so glad she is safe and at home and recovering. Give her cute face big squeezes and kisses from me.

pbpatti
April 27th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Patti, so sorry to hear about Sasha's mishap. I am so glad she is safe and at home and recovering. Give her cute face big squeezes and kisses from me.

Thank you everybody for your well wishes, and Hi Shredy nice to see/read from you again. We will try to keep Sasha safe from wooden spoons from now on. pbp

hazelrunpack
April 27th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Yay, Sasha! Home again! :cloud9: Please give her a very gentle :grouphug: from hazel and the Pack, patti! :D