Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

fostering question

pamha
April 25th, 2008, 03:08 PM
So, somehow it didn`t take DH much convincing to at least look into fostering for the APL. I went to fill out an application, but I didn`t know about their 10 day quarentine rules for new animals. All their intakes have to be isolate for 10 days, although they said this new bunch is all under treatment for ear mites and could be out of quarentine in 7 days. I can`t figure out how we could keep a dog isolated that long. It wouldn`t be hard for going outside since we can separated the front and back yards which are both fenced, but Lola has the run of the house and I can`t see how we could keep her out of anywhere. They did say they might have dogs already that have completed their quarentine and might be able to be moved to foster care to make room for the new ones. That might work for us, but I sure could use some tips please!

Frenchy
April 25th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Congratulation on becoming a foster family !!! :highfive: But your question ? Tips for ? I think it's good to have the dogs quarantine before they get to foster care. This way the foster is healthy when he gets to your place , it's safer for your dog.

pamha
April 25th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Maybe I misunderstood, but it sounded like they are wanting homes where the dogs can be in isolation. I was trying to figure out how/if we could do that, but it doesn`t seem practical.:shrug:

I was thinking they would want to place the new dogs immediately, but I dunno, better to wait I guess.

Also, ran into a lady from the Humane society this afternoon who my mom adopted a dog from. I mentioned to her we were wanting to try fostering and she asked me to sign up with her as well. So one way or another, we will likely be getting a foster of some sort soon.

I guess I was wanting ideas for dealing with a foster dog, but I imagine it will be the same as getting a new dog normally, they just have extra rules to follow, and home visits :eek: I think I need to do some cleaning.

Frenchy
April 26th, 2008, 02:23 PM
they just have extra rules to follow, and home visits :eek: I think I need to do some cleaning.

:laughing: I don't think they will look at how clean your house is :D don't worry about that. And your right , when you do get a foster , it's just like bringing home a new doggy , you have to supervise the introduction , feed them in different rooms is always better ... if your dog is fine with other dogs , there shouldn't be any problems as rescues will know a bit about the dog before letting you foster him / her. Kuddos to you for doing this ! :highfive: Keep us posted !