Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Babies!

chicago dogs
April 25th, 2008, 02:40 PM
hi, i am new, I just wanted to announce the only one of my cats that was not spayed gave birth to 6 kittens today, 5 were born live and one was stillborn. they are all very cute and we are excited. i think 4 are male and there is one for sure female (calico). So I have some vet bills a coming!! I will get them all fixed, including the mama. They are all feeding well and mama is doing good, she is a good mom.-Cassi :thumbs up

ancientgirl
April 25th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I'm glad you are getting them all spayed/neutered, including the mother. Please tell me you at least have homes for them all.

phoozles
April 25th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Glad to hear they are doing well and that you are going to spay/neuter the lot. Was the mother a stray that you picked up pregnant?
Do you have pictures of your little babies?

chicago dogs
April 26th, 2008, 01:53 AM
yes she was homeless. we tried to keep her in but she never really learned the kitty box thing, so she asks to go out to potty. lately she has been doing well. she is also one of those cats that don't really clean themselves very well, her face gets dirty and i have to wipe it for her. yes, they will have homes. my husbands uncle owns a dairy farm and they like having cats, the daugter in law is a vet, so all of their cats are healthy, fat and sleek. honestly, i would rather them go to family-even if they are going to barn kitties out there because i know they are treated very well and get good vet care. I would like to keep at least 2 for myself. My vet (not the daughter in law) is very reasonable with neuter and spay cost. $55-$60 per animal. He just really believes in the importance of neuter and spay. He is great.

ancientgirl
April 26th, 2008, 07:22 AM
That's great! I hope you can post some pictures soon!

chico2
April 26th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Sounds like you have it all very well planned:thumbs up
We LOVE to see kitten-pics,although we are definetly a pro spay/neuter Forum.
I wish all vets could give discount for spay/neuter,here spaying a kitty is about $200+,at least at my old vets:frustrated:

14+kitties
April 26th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Good luck with the kittens! It sounds like you have everything under control. Pics would be nice too. We love ohhhhhhing and awwwing. :D
Barn cats - just what one vet called mine. :frustrated:

chicago dogs
April 26th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I will post pics as soon as I can, the cable to down load pics isn't hooked up yet on my new computer. Alot of my old pics are still on my old computer, including newborn ones of my son!!!:frustrated: my husband needs to do these things for me pronto!!!! Like I said my vet is a great animal lover. Trust me i am very pro spay/neuter. There are too many homeless animals in this country. I have a stray un-neutered male that comes around, I think he belonged to a lady down the street and she just quit taking care of him, he eats the food I put out for my kitties, sprays everywhere and seems sickly. He is matted horribly. He lets me pet him but when i go to pick him up-he freaks out. He scratched my arm good, my doc put me on ATB. Don't know how I can get him in the pet carrier so I can get him to a shelter. I can't keep him-too many babies and a new mama to vet. My husband thinks he is wild, but he lets me pet him-just not pick him up. I have no idea what I am going to do.:sad:

duttypaws
April 26th, 2008, 11:36 AM
congrats and it sounds like you know what your plans are thats great and also great to hear a vet that isnt asking you to remortgage to spay/neuter them!!

and pics... we like a kitten photo on here :D :cloud9:

14+kitties
April 26th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I will post pics as soon as I can, the cable to down load pics isn't hooked up yet on my new computer. Alot of my old pics are still on my old computer, including newborn ones of my son!!!:frustrated: my husband needs to do these things for me pronto!!!! Like I said my vet is a great animal lover. Trust me i am very pro spay/neuter. There are too many homeless animals in this country. I have a stray un-neutered male that comes around, I think he belonged to a lady down the street and she just quit taking care of him, he eats the food I put out for my kitties, sprays everywhere and seems sickly. He is matted horribly. He lets me pet him but when i go to pick him up-he freaks out. He scratched my arm good, my doc put me on ATB. Don't know how I can get him in the pet carrier so I can get him to a shelter. I can't keep him-too many babies and a new mama to vet. My husband thinks he is wild, but he lets me pet him-just not pick him up. I have no idea what I am going to do.:sad:

Have you tried a live trap? Some places (shelters, etc) let you rent one. I have used them, somewhat successfully. I have had 2 males, one feral, one stray, here that I got fixed. Of course after I fixed the stray the "owner" showed up for him. I didn't bother telling him I got his cat fixed. Figured if he couldn't do it after 2 years he wasn't going to and I wasn't going to volunteer the info. :rolleyes:
There are lots of things you can do to trick the animal into going into the trap. Sardines put back far enough, or under the trip, that they have to set it off to eat the food, covering the trap with blankets, branches, etc, covering the bottom with newspapers, an old towel that smells of females. All of that stuff may work. Good luck!

chico2
April 26th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Yes,if anyone knows you do 14+:thumbs up
I hope you can get this poor matted cat,but I have a feeling any shelter would probably euthanize him,not neutered and severely matted,it of course depends on what kind of shelter you have where you live.
Poor kitty:sad:

chicago dogs
April 26th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I hope you can get this poor matted cat,but I have a feeling any shelter would probably euthanize him,not neutered and severely matted,it of course depends on what kind of shelter you have where you live.

Out shelter is a No Kill shelter, they are full and actually in crisis. This winter the cops busted 3 homes with like 30 animals being kept at each one and then they busted a "pet store" for neglect, apparently the lady decided she didn't want to go over to her "shop" and feed and water and cleanup after her animals in the cold weather. So our humane society has had alot to take on. Our community pulls together and tries to help, they have donation cans at stores and gas stations, drop off sites for donations of towels, food, litter, pet toys and cleaning supplies, and old blankets. We really get the kids involved, the schools always have a Animal Shelter donation site and organizations like my daugthers 4-H club go out and volunteer-walking dogs, and just giving there time for petting and cuddling the animals. When I catch him I will probably have to take on the expense myself initially and then find him a good home. My mom does it all the time she has like 20 stray cats she has taken care of that hang out at her house. My husband's coworker has a live trap, he had to trap a raccoon for us once, that is a great idea. Maybe I could take him straight to the vet in it?:shrug:

chicago dogs
April 26th, 2008, 06:58 PM

I will try to do the live trap, our shelter is actually a no kill shelter, but they are in crisis right now. The community is doing what it can to help them in many different ways. They are full -see these links:

http://www.ottumwacourier.com/archivesearch/local_story_060233101.html

http://www.ottumwacourier.com/archivesearch/local_story_053003659.html

http://www.ottumwacourier.com/archivesearch/local_story_016234119.html?start:int=15

So basically I would have to pay to get him health and neutered, could I take him to the vets in the live trap? I have to admit, I am a little afraid to pick him up again.:shrug:

ancientgirl
April 26th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Sounds like you live in a really great community.

I think if you can trap your stray guy in that raccoon trap you can take him right in to the vet in that. Hopefully his matting can be taken care of while they are getting him neutered.

14+kitties
April 26th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I don't know how vets operate down there but here the ones I have dealt with will let you bring the cats in in the live trap and ask you to bring a carrier with you to transfer the cats to after being fixed IF the intent is to spay and release. If you think he is tameable and you can get close to him afterward then I would try it that way. It is most definetely worth a try. And bless you for wanting to help him. Then you and your mom can start working on getting her bunch of strays all fixed. :rolleyes:
The feral I took in I asked the vet to leave him in the live trap so I had a way to feed him until he was healed enough to release. I was not going to try sticking my hand in a carrier to feed him. I love kitties but I like my hands the way they are.
Your best bet would be to phone your vets and ask how they would prefer you brought him in.

chico2
April 27th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Chicago Dogs,WOW both your mom and you rescuing kitties that is just wonderful,you are kitty:angel2:
The fact your community also cares makes a huge difference.
I am sure the little matted boy will be fine with your help:cat:

chicago dogs
April 27th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I don't know how vets operate down there but here the ones I have dealt with will let you bring the cats in in the live trap and ask you to bring a carrier with you to transfer the cats to after being fixed IF the intent is to spay and release. If you think he is tameable and you can get close to him afterward then I would try it that way. It is most definetely worth a try. And bless you for wanting to help him. Then you and your mom can start working on getting her bunch of strays all fixed. :rolleyes:
The feral I took in I asked the vet to leave him in the live trap so I had a way to feed him until he was healed enough to release. I was not going to try sticking my hand in a carrier to feed him. I love kitties but I like my hands the way they are.
Your best bet would be to phone your vets and ask how they would prefer you brought him in.

My moms strays are all fixed, she is not mean but she does not like screwing around with kittens. She has her hands full with all the strays that already exist.

14+kitties
April 27th, 2008, 09:53 PM
My moms strays are all fixed, she is not mean but she does not like screwing around with kittens. She has her hands full with all the strays that already exist.

chicago dogs - That is wonderful to hear!! I in no way meant that as an insult. I admire you and your mother for what you are doing, believe me! It is just when you see the word strays you naturally think they are not fixed. It is a relief to hear they are.
As for dealing with the strays that already exist - I know all about that too. I have a few, just a few, of them around myself. :rolleyes:

chicago dogs
April 28th, 2008, 04:48 PM
chicago dogs - That is wonderful to hear!! I in no way meant that as an insult. I admire you and your mother for what you are doing, believe me! It is just when you see the word strays you naturally think they are not fixed. It is a relief to hear they are.
As for dealing with the strays that already exist - I know all about that too. I have a few, just a few, of them around myself. :rolleyes:

Oh, I didn't take it as an insult at all. My mom loves cats. Back in the day when I was young we had a farm-of course we wanted tons of cats back then. My step-dad always got the supplies from the vet and we immunized them ourselves. Cats were a good thing to have alot of on a farm, but, times have changed. We never had too many even if we had kittens born, it seemed like the old ones would die, and we always had the same amount as new one were born, we had one cat that was 13 years old once!!! Now my mom lives in town, and she doesn't want to fool with kittens, because there are always some starving cats running around. I don't like to fool with kittens either, because I live in town-I can just see kittens getting run over, plus there is always a stray in our neighborhood too!