Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Landlord purposely tried to kill my dog

BugsWife
April 25th, 2008, 10:32 AM
:shrug: my landlord is a mean old man...he doesn't like animals.Friday April 28th/08.... We live on a farm and the landlord was plowing the feild beside our house..our dog was tied up on his leash while my hubby was on the other side of the driveway raking the lawn...the landlord didn't know he was out there...SO the landlord came at my dog with his plow and ran right into him...and tried to kill him...all he succeeded in was cutting off half of Orsons back paw,,,he now only has 2 toes left,,,the vet also had to remove some bones...if one more toe was gone it would have been an amputation.We knew he doesnt like animals so we NEVER let our dog run free unless we are with him on a walk behind the farm.
It was the worst thing that has ever happened...my hubby ran to the tractor and yelled at him about what he did and the jerk just shrugged his shoulders. So on the way to the vets we called the OPP. He met us there....We wanted the landlord charged with animal cruelty...APPARENTLY it is a he said she said situation,,,we know he did it on purpose! The cop didnt seem to care. All he said he can do is call the landlord.
Here is my question....
What are our rights...we want to sue him..take him to small claims court...we are on disability....the vet bill came to almost 700.00 and I had to borrow it from my mother as 700 is almost half our monthly income.If it wasnt for my mom I dont know what we would have done..I cant even think about it.
Orson is part rottie and we thing part shepard. He is a smart as a wip..we were also going to get him shutzhund (spelling) trained. My stepdaughter and her hubby live in florida and they train and breed dogs...he was an excellent candidate and she was going to have the dog sent to them to train,,and then we were going to breed him..now that is all down the tubes
I know i have gone on and on..but is there anyone out there who can help us? I want to be a voice for my dog and make that man pay for what he has done!
What can we take him to court for,,can we get pain and suffering for him..loss of quality of life? I am not doing this out of spite...he needs to pay for his cruelty
Thanks to all in advance
Jennifer&Glen

Jim Hall
April 25th, 2008, 10:36 AM
find a dog loving lawyer and make your landlord's life miserable

BugsWife
April 25th, 2008, 10:38 AM
talked to a lawyer on the phone he said something about the loss of quality of life we can go for bcause his training and breeding is down the tubes..I am just looking for any other opinions and thoughts out there,,,We are so sik over this.

ancientgirl
April 25th, 2008, 10:41 AM
First, I'm sorry you have such an a-hole for a landlord. I hope someone runs over his foot with a plow!

Second, I think you need to call the SPCA and have him reported. What he did is animal cruelty and I'm sure if he is found guilty he will likely be fined.

Third, a lawyer isn't a bad idea.

Kashi
April 25th, 2008, 10:56 AM
And fourth, I'd start looking at moving as soon as finances allow.

LavenderRott
April 25th, 2008, 07:03 PM
This whole post is very disturbing. I am just aghast that someone would intentionally try to run over someone's family pet with a plow and not face charges.

Having said that, I must admit, the rest of the post is more disturbing to me. To send a dog to another country for "schutzhund training" by someone else is ummm, to put it mildly - not the best plan. First off - there are 3 parts to schutzhund training - obedience, tracking and bitework. I could be wrong, but I am betting that the majority of any training this dog would get in Florida would be in the bitework area. And after it learns how to attack on command, it will be sent back to someone who hasn't worked or trained with it and it will be expected to behave. LOL! I don't expect that kind of discipline from my dogs. As a matter of fact - I am willing to bet cash that if my husband gives them a command, they will look to me first.

But the part that really sickened me what the fact that this dog's breeding career is now over. He is "part rottie and we think part shepherd"! If you don't even know what "breed" of dog you have, how in the world can you even begin to guess about the puppies!?!

There are 8404 shepherds listed on petfinder. There are 3662 rottweilers listed. Do you really think we need more shoddily bred dogs of either of these breeds?

marko
April 25th, 2008, 07:38 PM
If this happened to me I would call every agency and person I know of that could help - Police, local media, Spca etc.

Lawyers are expensive but small claims court is not - I would DEFINITELY seek a legal remedy here.

- It's people like this that make me sad to be part of his same species

Good luck!

rainbow
April 25th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I would contact the SPCA, Humane Society and the media and bring lots of attention to this deliberate act of cruelty. If a lawyer is too expensive you could contact Legal Aid to see if they can help .....

http://www.legalaid.on.ca/en/

Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Purpledomino
April 25th, 2008, 08:30 PM
This whole post is very disturbing. I am just aghast that someone would intentionally try to run over someone's family pet with a plow and not face charges.

Having said that, I must admit, the rest of the post is more disturbing to me. To send a dog to another country for "schutzhund training" by someone else is ummm, to put it mildly - not the best plan. First off - there are 3 parts to schutzhund training - obedience, tracking and bitework. I could be wrong, but I am betting that the majority of any training this dog would get in Florida would be in the bitework area. And after it learns how to attack on command, it will be sent back to someone who hasn't worked or trained with it and it will be expected to behave. LOL! I don't expect that kind of discipline from my dogs. As a matter of fact - I am willing to bet cash that if my husband gives them a command, they will look to me first.

But the part that really sickened me what the fact that this dog's breeding career is now over. He is "part rottie and we think part shepherd"! If you don't even know what "breed" of dog you have, how in the world can you even begin to guess about the puppies!?!

There are 8404 shepherds listed on petfinder. There are 3662 rottweilers listed. Do you really think we need more shoddily bred dogs of either of these breeds?

My sentiments exactly.

Frenchy
April 25th, 2008, 09:27 PM
My sentiments exactly.

I third LavenderRott's comment.

Dracko
April 25th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Fourth. :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
April 26th, 2008, 03:37 AM

I was thinking the same thing....

I really do hope you can find a way to make the landlord see the error of his ways, animal cruelty complaint with the SPCA and Humane Society would be a great start.

Moving immediately would also be very high on my list of things to do

:goodvibes: :goodvibes: for a good recovery for your dog

BugsWife
April 26th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Yes I know what u mean on the training and all that,,,I dont want this to be a debate whether or not we were going to be training the dog..it is something we could have done...And it is my stepdaughter and her husband,,but anyway the fact is the ******* tried to kill my dog.....We called the cops....THEY said THEY could not charge him with animal cruelty because of no proof and that it will just be a he said she said...my husband saw the whole thing......now the SPCA in Simcoe and Norfolk County has not got back to us! Actually they dont even have an animal cruelty investigator,,,there is a job opening there for that,,,After calling and calling I went to their webpage and I see where it says the have a bunch of open positions there...no one will call back http://www.s-dhs.ca/index.html
seems like noone works there LOL...sigh
We are trying to find agancies but they all tell us that we need to contact the spca.......i am going in circles...
We will be taking him to small claims court,,,so far we know we can take him on the grounds of loss of quality of life for the dog,,,but if the cops wont charge him for animal cruelty,,what else can we do?
Please dont think we are mean ppl bcause we were thinking of training the dog,,,we are on disability and we thought this would have been a way to get off the system thats all. We love our animals .We have 7 cats too and fish.
I was just looking to see if anyone else has ever had to deal with taking someone to court for hurting their animal.
Thanks TO EVERYONE

LavenderRott
April 26th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Nobody here thinks you are mean because you are going to train your dog. I do, however, wonder about the need to teach a family pet schutzhund if it is not for trialing purposes. I know several people who have one or more dogs being trained for schutzhund and it is VERY time consuming and VERY expensive. They do it so that they can bond with their dog and title it.

Personally, I think your time would be better spent trying to find a new place to live. If your landlord is willing to do what he did - and he now knows he can do so with impunity - I, personally, would be terrified to leave the dog home alone.

And I doubt that you could get much more then the dog's vet bills back in small claims court. An animal is considered property and the court system doesn't generally take their quality of life into account when making decisions of this type.

badger
April 26th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I'd disable his tractor in the dead of night. Then paint it pink. :evil: Then move. I don't think you're a bad person, no-one does, but maybe it's time to think of other ways of improving your situation without putting it all on...a dog.
Suing the farmer is going to cost money and there is no guarantee that the judge will find in your favour. Trust me, the guy will not turn up for the hearing, it will all be on you. Small claims court is very wham bam, no tears allowed. If you lose, you'll have to swallow the cost of opening a file. But I would definitely send a written complaint to the SPCA; that way, he will be flagged if another 'incident' is reported.
Too sad. I despise bullies.

BugsWife
April 27th, 2008, 11:32 AM
LOL trust me...I have thought of things to do to get back at this man...but I dont want to stoop to his level...I am a firm believer in what goes around comes around...I would love to paint his tractor pink.This man goes to church every sunday so we thought about sitting outside his church with a picket sign about what he did.. So thats why I was thinking small claims court...it is not for the money..it is for not letting him get away with it. I dont know any other way to make him pay..Even if we lost..it is not much to take someone to small claims court..A lawyer said we can do this on our own.I just want to show him that he cannot do something like this...Someone has to stand up to this jerk for once.
We are definately moving as soon as we can...I cant stand to be here anymore.
I am going to email the spca and call until someone finally calls back. No one is ever there. I think I put a link to it in one of my posts.
Thanks everyone

sugarcatmom
April 27th, 2008, 12:15 PM
What about the vet that treated him? Do they have any suggestions of what you can do? Surely there is some sort of protocol they follow when they see situations of animal cruelty, and no doubt their statement could be useful in a court case.

MissDorsie
April 29th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Another problem with suing, especially for money. Even if the court rules in your favor, it is up to you to collect from the defendant. That's the way it is here in the States, anyway. The police here have more power over things like that, too. If they are called out for a suspected animal abuse, they usually arrest the accused party on the spot. If it's an owner in question, they take the animal(s) away from them until an investigation is done.
I can understand your frustration and wish you all the luck. People like that should be put in cages under lock and key!
I once knew a couple who had their dogs poisoned by the sheriff of the town where they used to live. There wasn't a thing they could do about it, either.

marko
April 29th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Another problem with suing, especially for money. Even if the court rules in your favor, it is up to you to collect from the defendant. That's the way it is here in the States, anyway.

It's the same here in Quebec at least. BUT if it's small claims court and you win, the investment to get to court isn't high. Then if they refuse to pay you hire a bailiff (also not a fortune) to collect for you and ADD the bailiff's fee to the amount owed. If the guy doesn't pay, and he works for a company the bailiff serves his company and HIS WAGES ARE GARNISHED. If he is self-employed, then property ( maybe a tractor ;) ) is seized and auctioned off to pay the amount owed PLUS any additional costs the bailiff incurred to get you your money.

It is a pain in the butt to do this, but on principal you may want to.

Hope that helps,

Marko

glasslass
April 29th, 2008, 06:25 PM
If he is self-employed, then property ( maybe a tractor ;) ) is seized and auctioned off to pay the amount owed PLUS any additional costs the bailiff incurred to get you your money.Marko

In that case, maybe you should reconsider about painting the tractor pink!:p
It's scary that someone can do something like this to an innocent animal. What more are they capable of? I would be moving asap.

badger
April 29th, 2008, 07:41 PM
What more are they capable of?

Excellent point. Although he sounds like a total coward.

I dunno, glasslass, pink tractors could be the next big thing.