Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

First time owner of TWO shih zhus

HannaChang
April 25th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Hello everyone!

I have just joined this disscussion group in hopes that I could get some advice from other pet owners.
My fiance and I have purchased two shih zhu puppies from a breeder, one male, and one female; they are so adorable. We were aware that buying two are a big NO NO but unfortunately, we have gave into it, and we are going to try our very best at rearing the two pups.
We will be picking them up this Tuesday, April 29th because they will be 8 weeks old and ready to go home.
I've done an extreme amount of research however I am still anxious and still asking everyone (including my breeder) endless amount of questions.

I have read that if i want to raise two pups at the same time, i must raise them separately, or do things separately with each pup so that they are not dependant on each other, and prevent what is called "littermate syndrome."
I have read to crate them separately, however I do not want to buy another crate as they are expensive and I will only be using it during crating period. I have one large crate that can be divided, so this is what I am planning to do.
My first question is simple, should i put a solid block/divide between the dividing crate so that they do not see each other? I find it really mean to do this, however i want them to feel some separation anxiety so they can develop independance without each other. I will be scheduling lots of play time together so please be assured that I am not too strict on separating them. I just want to do the proper training for my two pups.

My fiance and I are so exicted about bring them home this week and we expecting to do double duty because we have two puppies.

For anyone who has read this far, i thank you very much.

Any imput would be very valuable as we are first time dog owner, and we have anxieties for having two pups in my life.

Hanna

Elizabeth Ann
April 25th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I don't really have any advise... all I want to say is you will love having a Shih Tzu. They are best. I love my little guy and they are the best cuddlers... Have fun :)

Elizabeth Ann
April 25th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Also, hurry up and make five posts so you can put up pictures...

Puppy pictures are my fav.

jealma
April 25th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Looking forward to hear much more from you. I have a little girl who is 4 months old now. Just have the one so not sure what the issues with two will be, although sometimes I wish Abby had a playmate besides me. They are a very loving dog and I find Abby requires a lot of my time. We do brush her daily and clean her ears weekly ( although I've read every other day, but they just aren't that dirty) Their eyes tend to tear a lot and require washing their little faces daily. I try to remember to do this first thing in the morning. For the first few months I just used finger nail clippers to clip off just the curled tip of her nails, but we are up to groomers small dog clippers now. Can't wait to see pictures of your new babies. And welcome to the best forum for information and support ever

joeysmama
April 25th, 2008, 12:35 PM
My first shih tzu was a rescue so he was already an adult dog when we got him. My new little guy was a puppy when we brought him home. I don't know if there is anything cuter in all the world than a shih tzu puppy !!!:lovestruck:

Cooper was very high energy as a puppy. He's two and a half now and still very energetic and playful. He has lazy time during the day and then wants to play from 6:00 to midnight.

I'm sorry I have no advice for you regarding two puppies. It sounds as though you're prepared for the work though. You're going in with your eyes wide open so I think you'll be fine. Good for you for doing your research.

And yes----PICTURES PLEASE !!

hazelrunpack
April 25th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I have no shih tzu experience, but I do have a little 'two puppies' experience.

As far as the crate goes, despite the expense, a second crate is a good investment. A good rule of thumb for giving dogs the run of the house is to wait until they are at least two years of age--which gives them lots of supervised practice at what is and isn't allowed in the house, and also the maturity to remember what is and isn't allowed in the house. So the crates will be in use quite a lot.

Putting them in one large crate will strengthen their dependency on each other, imo. They need a little independence for those times when they absolutely will need to be separated (illness, surgery, etc). And at that terrible time far in the future when they're old and one passes on, imagine how the other would feel having to go into the crate alone. :sad:

Not to mention if either pup messes, no divider you put in there will keep the mess totally contained...they'll be 'sharing'... :yuck: Twice the cleanup.

When our two little ones (6 weeks apart in age) were growing up, we let them play together a lot, but training was always separate. That way they learn to focus on you, not each other, and gives them an individual sense of accomplishment. Remember also that puppies more often exchange bad habits than good ones, so there will be trials...especially when they're teething and feeling out of sorts, and when they're going through their inevitable rebellious phases. :rolleyes:

But I don't regret having had two pups so close in age...or adding any of the dogs, for that matter. Multi-dog households can be an endless source of learning and laughter...despite the occasional craziness. :D